Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
LilPinkCandy

It is easy to have an indoor cat with outdoor indoor cats... it is called training, and bitching out the people that let your animal out. (even if they were family/family to be)

Yeah leash training is HARD with an older cat... and you just have to suck it up with having a pissy cat until he is just ACCEPTS that he has to wear a harness if he wants to go outside. if he loves the outside so much he WILL accept it and be begging you to take him outside... he just needs to be taught rules. My cat learned in short time (she was leash trained as a kitten) that she only gets to leave my apartment in her crate or on leash... she will not bum rush the door anymore.

it really just sounds like you gave up on this, and aren't trying to figure out how to work things, out. Hwo was he introduced to the other cats? does he like them? do they like him? If introductions didn't go well... you may never get your cat back... cause he may not want to share his home, and thus finds it easier to live away from you guys.

Fashionable Shopper

Moth Feathers
LilPinkCandy
Moth Feathers
I remember talking to you quite a while ago (maybe it's already been a year) about the dangers of keeping outdoor cats. Well, I don't want to say, "I told you so", but you know..

I hope do you get Syd back though. I could never handle the worry and anxiety that comes with having a beloved pet gone for weeks and weeks like that.

User ImageI really didn't want an outdoor cat. He just became an outdoor cat. He had broken out of the house and he was gone all weekend last year when we went away for the weekend. My bf's parents came back and saw Syd on the porch. Then it occurred to them that we did not let him out...
I never set out to have an outdoor cat. I planned to have an indoor cat as all my previous cats were indoor kitties. This one just wouldn't have being contained. At all. His behavior really improved after becoming an outdoor cat as well. He wouldn't get onto the table, desks, etc nearly as often either. However, he's gotten into this thing where he likes to go out all the time, I guess. Usually his turf is our neighbor's yard, his house and he'd walk the side of the road with the walkers who walk and walk their dogs. I just don't know why he went so far away this time.

It's very possible to transition an outdoor cat to being a strictly indoor one. If his behavior improved when he was let out, that might mean that he wasn't receiving enough enrichment or energy-draining activities when he was inside.

If I were you, I would make him an indoor cat. Just try providing an enriched environment- Animal Planet's My Cat from Hell gives lots of awesome ideas for cat enrichment, such as window sill perches, shelves on the wall the cat can sit on, cat trees, lots of interactive toys and playtime each day, foraging for food around the house...you could even clicker train your cat.

But that's just me and my choice. Do whatever you want to do, but please know the possible consequences of him being outside, including death.

User ImageHe doesn't like being strictly an outdoor cat. Its not the toys, etc he wants. He wants people. He wants other people and seeing other people. He has his places and people he likes to see- such as the neighbor. I wouldn't be surprised if he had other cat friends he sees. He greets the dogs that people walk. I know because they tell me, "Oh is that your cat? He's so cute and he comes and greets me and my dog.". Its not playtime with me he wants and its not perches and stuff he wants- he wants to see all the people he sees.

We just don't have the space in our room (we'd like another dresser but don't have the space for even that) for cat perches and stuff like that. We had little cubes but the other two cats destroyed them from playing in them. We had a few boxes and well. But its not my house so I can't go around changing all my bf's mom's decorations. When I came here they had three outdoor cats. Two have died (one was VERY old when I met my bf) and one has migrated to the neighbor's which happened not long after the second cat's death. After the second cat died my bf got me a Syd for Christmas.

Fashionable Shopper

Keyona
LilPinkCandy

It is easy to have an indoor cat with outdoor indoor cats... it is called training, and bitching out the people that let your animal out. (even if they were family/family to be)

Yeah leash training is HARD with an older cat... and you just have to suck it up with having a pissy cat until he is just ACCEPTS that he has to wear a harness if he wants to go outside. if he loves the outside so much he WILL accept it and be begging you to take him outside... he just needs to be taught rules. My cat learned in short time (she was leash trained as a kitten) that she only gets to leave my apartment in her crate or on leash... she will not bum rush the door anymore.

it really just sounds like you gave up on this, and aren't trying to figure out how to work things, out. Hwo was he introduced to the other cats? does he like them? do they like him? If introductions didn't go well... you may never get your cat back... cause he may not want to share his home, and thus finds it easier to live away from you guys.

User ImageUm excuse me? I am not bitching out my bf's parents. They didn't let him out either. No one did. I mean obviously we do now as we treat him as an outdoor cat. My cat wanted outside so he pushed out the plastic thingy on the basement windows and got out himself. He's very smart.

I gave up on it because I don't want to continue trying to make him an indoor cat. He was really very mean because I was restraining him. He really hates being restrained on a leash, in arms, etc.

Fashionable Shopper

Ayamae Akahana
LilPinkCandy
Ayamae Akahana
LilPinkCandy
Ayamae Akahana
If you kept your cat in your house like you're really supposed to, you wouldn't have this problem. You'll be very lucky if you find him. One of my friends let her cat outside, and he disappeared over the winter and was never seen again.

Too many things can happen to your cat outside. Could eat something poisonous, could get eaten by a bigger animal, could get in a fight with another cat and die from infected wounds or even bleed out...could even get hit by a car.

If he does come back, you should definitely keep him in the house.

User ImageI didn't "let" him out. he actively tried to find a way out and was successful. I tried to leash him after that figuring it would be enough but it was not. I played with him A LOT when he was inside but he didn't like it. He'll meow at the door unless you let him outside. He won't even play when he wants outside- just sits there at the door meowing. Eventually he terrorizes the house because he wants outside.

The other issue is the other cats. They aren't mine. I can't keep mine inside but let the others outside.... like that just isn't going to work at all.

So educate the other cat owners on what could happen to their pet every time they let it outside?

Also, there are a million things you can do to get that cat to like being indoors. One of my cats was outside, was even the kitten of a feral cat, and he's totally a house cat now. If nothing else, build him an outdoor enclosure with a roof and all so he can experience the outdoors without the threat of being killed. You could even leash train him and take him on walks.

User ImageI did try leash training him. He wants no part in being picked up or having a leash on him at all. It would take hours to get it on him and then he would try taking it off. We have no place for an enclosure- this is not my house.
I also mentioned we have other cats here and they are outdoor cats. We have NO issues with them being outdoor cats.

So, he goes missing for three weeks and that's not an issue to you? If one of my cats went missing for even a day, I'd be ripping apart the neighborhood trying to find him. I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing that they were out there, probably getting eaten, or eating something they shouldn't, or fighting, or even laying on the road, dead. I would be absolutely worried sick, because losing a member of my family is not something I take lightly; it's a definite issue to me.

User ImageNormally we know where he is. At night he normally goes to the neighbor's house and visits him and Gizmo. I didn't know he was missing until the neighbor said he hasn't seen him. I thought he was there. Now, the other two we see daily. No, it isn't an issue to not see Syd for a week or so because he's an outdoor cat who loves to hunt. My bf said he'd not see his first cat for weeks at a time and that completely normal for that cat. I've just been worried because this isn't normal for this cat. Normally someone around here has seen him on this street. Since no one has that's an issue.

I can't imagine anyone actually caring about a cat and letting it roam outside unsupervised, with all the natural and man-made dangers...it's a death trap out there, how could one stand the worry? I can't understand this in the least bit.

I do hope that your cat returns, and I also hope that this will be the lesson you need in order to reintroduce the cat in indoor only cat life.
hiysinphlay
I can't imagine anyone actually caring about a cat and letting it roam outside unsupervised, with all the natural and man-made dangers...it's a death trap out there, how could one stand the worry? I can't understand this in the least bit.

That's what I don't understand about people who keep free-roam cats - I practically have a heart attack if one of my animals gets out loose. I couldn't possibly love them as I do and still be able to let them out to run about as they please or I'd just be sentencing myself to an early grave.
~ Aki - Fairy ~

That's what I don't understand about people who keep free-roam cats - I practically have a heart attack if one of my animals gets out loose. I couldn't possibly love them as I do and still be able to let them out to run about as they please or I'd just be sentencing myself to an early grave.

Exactly. Letting your cat outside is just asking for trouble in my opinion. Other cats, coyotes here, poisons, the terrible quality food people leave out for stray cats. That's another thing about free-roaming cats, you can't control what they eat. Imagine a cat who's allergic to grains eating Friskies D; And of course the natural wildlife, hope you don't have any endangered small animals or birds where you live. Cars. And worst of all people. The people who will swerve their cars just so they can hit a cat :/ or people who leave out anti-freeze in bowls. And of course there are people who will capture and torture cats, especially the friendly ones make easy targets. I freak out when one of my cats gets outside. One night someone wasn't watching the door as they came in and I found Trixy outside when I got up in the morning D; she was hiding under the porch.
hiysinphlay
Exactly. Letting your cat outside is just asking for trouble in my opinion. Other cats, coyotes here, poisons, the terrible quality food people leave out for stray cats. That's another thing about free-roaming cats, you can't control what they eat. Imagine a cat who's allergic to grains eating Friskies D; And of course the natural wildlife, hope you don't have any endangered small animals or birds where you live. Cars. And worst of all people. The people who will swerve their cars just so they can hit a cat :/ or people who leave out anti-freeze in bowls. And of course there are people who will capture and torture cats, especially the friendly ones make easy targets. I freak out when one of my cats gets outside. One night someone wasn't watching the door as they came in and I found Trixy outside when I got up in the morning D; she was hiding under the porch.

I took Saphi out on the leash a couple weeks ago - she spooked and got away from me, hopped the fence, took off.. Luckily she didn't go too far/I found her pretty quick (all things considered) and she didn't get tangled and choke or anything - she was half a block away in a garbage can holder and if it weren't for the leash I probably wouldn't have even noticed her there.
Guess who's not going out on a leash again any time soon and will probably just be in enclosures for outside time from now on because I can't handle the thought of her getting away again..

My little dog is also "banned" from off-leash time out of fully-fenced enclosures because she has a tendancy to bolt - most recent two times were across the highway (playground zone but that doesn't mean much at that one), and across what's sometimes a busy street, to get to a yard with a dog who spazzes when somebody's walking by anywhere within its sight limits (she couldn't get in the yard/the dog couldn't get out, but still)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff