Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Shopper

User ImageNormally, I wouldn't always see him for weeks at a time despite being neutered but he'd spend his time at our police officer neighbor's house with the cat there he inherited from us. After about a week of not seeing the cat; he called us and asked if Syd was over here. Well, he wasn't here so I was kind of like where would he be. Now I guess for the previous cats here it wasn't uncommon for them to roam around so my bf wasn't worried. Another week goes by and we still haven't seen him so we put up a poster at the corner store. Today my bf got a call by an old lady who just noticed the poster and said that she saw Syd on Sunday! So, he's just I guess out hunting or something. I don't think he wouldn't know how to get home. My bf's mom told our neighbor and he said he'll look on the street that the old lady sited Syd on. So hopefully Syd hasn't gone too far from the place where he was last seen....

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
I remember talking to you quite a while ago (maybe it's already been a year) about the dangers of keeping outdoor cats. Well, I don't want to say, "I told you so", but you know..

I hope do you get Syd back though. I could never handle the worry and anxiety that comes with having a beloved pet gone for weeks and weeks like that.
This is why cats should be kept inside and contained (leash/enclosure) when outside.

You're "lucky" to have a neighbour so willing to put up with your cat on his property, and that there's a good chance he's still alive.

Fashionable Shopper

Moth Feathers
I remember talking to you quite a while ago (maybe it's already been a year) about the dangers of keeping outdoor cats. Well, I don't want to say, "I told you so", but you know..

I hope do you get Syd back though. I could never handle the worry and anxiety that comes with having a beloved pet gone for weeks and weeks like that.

User ImageI really didn't want an outdoor cat. He just became an outdoor cat. He had broken out of the house and he was gone all weekend last year when we went away for the weekend. My bf's parents came back and saw Syd on the porch. Then it occurred to them that we did not let him out...
I never set out to have an outdoor cat. I planned to have an indoor cat as all my previous cats were indoor kitties. This one just wouldn't have being contained. At all. His behavior really improved after becoming an outdoor cat as well. He wouldn't get onto the table, desks, etc nearly as often either. However, he's gotten into this thing where he likes to go out all the time, I guess. Usually his turf is our neighbor's yard, his house and he'd walk the side of the road with the walkers who walk and walk their dogs. I just don't know why he went so far away this time.

Fashionable Shopper

~ Aki - Fairy ~
This is why cats should be kept inside and contained (leash/enclosure) when outside.

You're "lucky" to have a neighbour so willing to put up with your cat on his property, and that there's a good chance he's still alive.

User ImageThis neighbor ended up with the other cat my bf's parents had as well. I was actually quite worried he might take Syd, lol. I don't know this lady who called my bf though. She just happened to see the sign we made. Our neighbor was just as worried (if not more, actually) as we were.

We tried the leash thing and that just didn't work well at all. Unfortunately we don't have an area to put an enclosure which we may have tried before but then we got two kittens who were born outdoors. My bf's parents had always had outdoors cats and never had issues. The other two are theirs and I'm sure it would go badly if I try to enclose Syd and not the other two. Keeping him indoors was no longer an option and it isn't now.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
LilPinkCandy
Moth Feathers

User ImageI really didn't want an outdoor cat. He just became an outdoor cat. He had broken out of the house and he was gone all weekend last year when we went away for the weekend. My bf's parents came back and saw Syd on the porch. Then it occurred to them that we did not let him out...
I never set out to have an outdoor cat. I planned to have an indoor cat as all my previous cats were indoor kitties. This one just wouldn't have being contained. At all. His behavior really improved after becoming an outdoor cat as well. He wouldn't get onto the table, desks, etc nearly as often either. However, he's gotten into this thing where he likes to go out all the time, I guess. Usually his turf is our neighbor's yard, his house and he'd walk the side of the road with the walkers who walk and walk their dogs. I just don't know why he went so far away this time.

It's very possible to transition an outdoor cat to being a strictly indoor one. If his behavior improved when he was let out, that might mean that he wasn't receiving enough enrichment or energy-draining activities when he was inside.

If I were you, I would make him an indoor cat. Just try providing an enriched environment- Animal Planet's My Cat from Hell gives lots of awesome ideas for cat enrichment, such as window sill perches, shelves on the wall the cat can sit on, cat trees, lots of interactive toys and playtime each day, foraging for food around the house...you could even clicker train your cat.

But that's just me and my choice. Do whatever you want to do, but please know the possible consequences of him being outside, including death.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
LilPinkCandy

going to guess indoor life was made boring so he was acting out, it is what bored kitties do. <.<
Inside can be just as fulfilling to an adventurous cat as the outside world.

You have basically given up on the transition, and think that it is a cat you can't change his ways. Also being born outside has nothing to do with if a cat can be indoor only or not, it is all on the owners to make inside the best place in the world. It is sad to see a bored cat, and one that is trying to tell their people that they are bored and then get in trouble for it or kicked outside because of it.

If you think of cats as just the way they are and they do "X" bad behavior because that is who they are hard wired to be.... then you really have no business in owning cats. IF ya would of met my cat before I actually started to work with her, she would of been better off tossed in a shelter and killed, but you wouldn't know that if you met her today.

Who knows maybe your cat has found another family that does something more than you and he it better there.... it is uncommon but changing territory/families isn't unheard of with outdoor cats, it is how my cousin got a large maine coon mix, he started eating at her place and then she let him in and never let him back outside, and he became a happy indoor kitty living with two other cats.

Liberal Codger

If you kept your cat in your house like you're really supposed to, you wouldn't have this problem. You'll be very lucky if you find him. One of my friends let her cat outside, and he disappeared over the winter and was never seen again.

Too many things can happen to your cat outside. Could eat something poisonous, could get eaten by a bigger animal, could get in a fight with another cat and die from infected wounds or even bleed out...could even get hit by a car.

If he does come back, you should definitely keep him in the house.

Fashionable Shopper

Ayamae Akahana
If you kept your cat in your house like you're really supposed to, you wouldn't have this problem. You'll be very lucky if you find him. One of my friends let her cat outside, and he disappeared over the winter and was never seen again.

Too many things can happen to your cat outside. Could eat something poisonous, could get eaten by a bigger animal, could get in a fight with another cat and die from infected wounds or even bleed out...could even get hit by a car.

User ImageI didn't "let" him out. he actively tried to find a way out and was successful. I tried to leash him after that figuring it would be enough but it was not. I played with him A LOT when he was inside but he didn't like it. He'll meow at the door unless you let him outside. He won't even play when he wants outside- just sits there at the door meowing. Eventually he terrorizes the house because he wants outside.

The other issue is the other cats. They aren't mine. I can't keep mine inside but let the others outside.... like that just isn't going to work at all.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
LilPinkCandy
Eventually he terrorizes the house because he wants outside.

The other issue is the other cats. They aren't mine. I can't keep mine inside but let the others outside.... like that just isn't going to work at all.

You may need to utilize a crate temporarily if he terrorizes the house. Not a big deal.

Also, why "that just isn't going to work at all"? Why is that a bad idea?

Fashionable Shopper

Keyona
LilPinkCandy

going to guess indoor life was made boring so he was acting out, it is what bored kitties do. <.<
Inside can be just as fulfilling to an adventurous cat as the outside world.

You have basically given up on the transition, and think that it is a cat you can't change his ways. Also being born outside has nothing to do with if a cat can be indoor only or not, it is all on the owners to make inside the best place in the world. It is sad to see a bored cat, and one that is trying to tell their people that they are bored and then get in trouble for it or kicked outside because of it.

If you think of cats as just the way they are and they do "X" bad behavior because that is who they are hard wired to be.... then you really have no business in owning cats. IF ya would of met my cat before I actually started to work with her, she would of been better off tossed in a shelter and killed, but you wouldn't know that if you met her today.

Who knows maybe your cat has found another family that does something more than you and he it better there.... it is uncommon but changing territory/families isn't unheard of with outdoor cats, it is how my cousin got a large maine coon mix, he started eating at her place and then she let him in and never let him back outside, and he became a happy indoor kitty living with two other cats.

User ImageHe was not born outside. The other two cats were (and they come inside DAILY). My bf's parents wants them to be outdoor cats. So, I mean I don't think that I can make one cat out of three be an indoor cat- especially one that doesn't want to be.

Syd craves attention. Not attention from just me either. He is a VERY social cat. He loves to greet the walkers and dog walkers in the neighborhood and visit people in other homes; especially the neighbor next door. I played with him with a laser pointer and all these cat toys and that didn't work. I don't think he was just "bored". I gave (and still do when he comes inside) a lot of attention. Most of the time he doesn't want my attention and then claws at me until I open the door for him. He really wants to be outside in the grass and seeing other people. He LOVES meeting other people outside.

Liberal Codger

LilPinkCandy
Ayamae Akahana

User ImageI didn't "let" him out. he actively tried to find a way out and was successful. I tried to leash him after that figuring it would be enough but it was not. I played with him A LOT when he was inside but he didn't like it. He'll meow at the door unless you let him outside. He won't even play when he wants outside- just sits there at the door meowing. Eventually he terrorizes the house because he wants outside.

So educate the other cat owners on what could happen to their pet every time they let it outside?

Also, there are a million things you can do to get that cat to like being indoors. One of my cats was outside, was even the kitten of a feral cat, and he's totally a house cat now. If nothing else, build him an outdoor enclosure with a roof and all so he can experience the outdoors without the threat of being killed. You could even leash train him and take him on walks.

Fashionable Shopper

Ayamae Akahana
LilPinkCandy
Ayamae Akahana

So educate the other cat owners on what could happen to their pet every time they let it outside?

Also, there are a million things you can do to get that cat to like being indoors. One of my cats was outside, was even the kitten of a feral cat, and he's totally a house cat now. If nothing else, build him an outdoor enclosure with a roof and all so he can experience the outdoors without the threat of being killed. You could even leash train him and take him on walks.

User ImageI did try leash training him. He wants no part in being picked up or having a leash on him at all. It would take hours to get it on him and then he would try taking it off. We have no place for an enclosure- this is not my house.
I also mentioned we have other cats here and they are outdoor cats. We have NO issues with them being outdoor cats.

Fashionable Shopper

Ayamae Akahana
LilPinkCandy
Ayamae Akahana

User ImageMy bf's parents have always had outdoor cats and want them to be outdoor cats because the cats enjoy being outdoor cats. They other two don't go far at all. They go across the street and in the yard. Syd is just..... more social and loves to greet the passer-bys.

I've accepted that Syd is now an outdoor cat. I've accepted that long time ago. I never made my thread to have people try to make my cat an indoor cat. I was simply excited that someone noticed him around. A lot of people keep outdoor cats.

Liberal Codger

LilPinkCandy
Ayamae Akahana
LilPinkCandy
Ayamae Akahana

User ImageI did try leash training him. He wants no part in being picked up or having a leash on him at all. It would take hours to get it on him and then he would try taking it off. We have no place for an enclosure- this is not my house.
I also mentioned we have other cats here and they are outdoor cats. We have NO issues with them being outdoor cats.

So, he goes missing for three weeks and that's not an issue to you? If one of my cats went missing for even a day, I'd be ripping apart the neighborhood trying to find him. I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing that they were out there, probably getting eaten, or eating something they shouldn't, or fighting, or even laying on the road, dead. I would be absolutely worried sick, because losing a member of my family is not something I take lightly; it's a definite issue to me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff