Welcome to Gaia! ::

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
An older classmate of mine has a cat that lives down in her barn, not exactly feral, but not really tame, either. Well, this barn cat had kittens.

And one kitten, all white, sweet as can be, isn't being fed by momma cat. The rest of the kittens are fine, it's just this one little guy.

Who was offered up to me.

She doesn't have time for bottle feeding, and doesn't necessarily want him to die, and she knows I'll take care of him and treat him well.

And I can... But I just had a cat die not even three weeks ago, and I have one cat still, and I don't know if I'm emotionally ready to have another pet die (I get attached too quick, I think) if this little guy doesn't make it. And I don't know how my current cat will react to a kitten in the house. The cat he was with was elderly and chill, but a kitten...

But if I don't take him, he'll die.

What do...?

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
What about a shelter or cat rescue?

Oh, and I'd be concerned that momma isn't feeding him. Cats seem to have better sense than humans do when something's 'off' with one of their kittens, and usually stop caring for them for a good reason.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Moth Feathers

Oh, and I'd be concerned that momma isn't feeding him. Cats seem to have better sense than humans do when something's 'off' with one of their kittens, and usually stop caring for them for a good reason.

That was my thought too. I didn't think that mothers just stopped feeding their kittens for no reason. Unless they're going to die, anyway...

But there's a few shelters around here. Will they take in kittens with no mothers?

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Bubble Shark
Moth Feathers

That was my thought too. I didn't think that mothers just stopped feeding their kittens for no reason. Unless they're going to die, anyway...

But there's a few shelters around here. Will they take in kittens with no mothers?

Oh yes, definitely. They often have female cats who have kittens of the same age and could foster, or if not that, then they have very experienced handfeeders who have handfed many kittens before.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Moth Feathers
Bubble Shark
Moth Feathers

Oh yes, definitely. They often have female cats who have kittens of the same age and could foster, or if not that, then they have very experienced handfeeders who have handfed many kittens before.

I'll have to tell her to look into that...

Tipsy Smoker

Me and my boyfriend took in a week old kitten last summer that was found in a dumpster by one of his friends.
We took him to the vet and they gave us some formula for him and a little syringe thing.
We tried to feed him with it, but couldn't get him to eat. We also tried get him to drink out of a saucer, but he just wouldn't go for it.

We ended up taking him to a cat shelter and dropping him off with one of the vetrenary nurses there. She took him into the back, and came out like five minutes later with him all wrapped up in a little blanket asleep and told us he just sucked it all up instantly out of the syringe, haha.

But we went back a couple months later to get a new kitten, and she told us he died of some sort of infection in his stomach because of how long it took him to get fed.

So, you could always take the baby kitty to a vet or a shelter, and ask them. (Just make sure it's reputable, and you should probably make sure they have a no-kill policy.)

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Decafff
Me and my boyfriend took in a week old kitten last summer that was found in a dumpster by one of his friends.
We took him to the vet and they gave us some formula for him and a little syringe thing.
We tried to feed him with it, but couldn't get him to eat. We also tried get him to drink out of a saucer, but he just wouldn't go for it.

We ended up taking him to a cat shelter and dropping him off with one of the vetrenary nurses there. She took him into the back, and came out like five minutes later with him all wrapped up in a little blanket asleep and told us he just sucked it all up instantly out of the syringe, haha.

But we went back a couple months later to get a new kitten, and she told us he died of some sort of infection in his stomach because of how long it took him to get fed.

So, you could always take the baby kitty to a vet or a shelter, and ask them. (Just make sure it's reputable, and you should probably make sure they have a no-kill policy.)

There aren't any no-kill shelters around here, but there is a cat rescue house thing run by this cat lady. I don't know if she takes babies, though.

Would they just put him down when they got him or would they give him a chance?

Tipsy Smoker

Bubble Shark
Decafff

There aren't any no-kill shelters around here, but there is a cat rescue house thing run by this cat lady. I don't know if she takes babies, though.

It really depends. If they thought he as going to be a hassle or something, they might not even take him in.
But apart from that, they'd probably try to feed him like twice at the actual shelter, and then try to find a foster parent-volunteer type person to take him home and feed him. I'm not really sure that they'd put down a baby kitten with no history. It's usually reserved for like old, mean animals that no one adopts.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Decafff
Bubble Shark
Decafff

It really depends. If they thought he as going to be a hassle or something, they might not even take him in.
But apart from that, they'd probably try to feed him like twice at the actual shelter, and then try to find a foster parent-volunteer type person to take him home and feed him. I'm not really sure that they'd put down a baby kitten with no history. It's usually reserved for like old, mean animals that no one adopts.

Hm... I just don't know yet. It's my classmate's cat, so the decision is really up to her.
He's just so adorable, though.

But if the mother cat gave him up... It just makes me think maybe there's a reason she gave him up.

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

it sounds like there's not a lot of shelters that can help you out in your area. any vet clinic will probably just put the kitten to sleep.
I helped rescue a couple of orphaned week old kittens from a little girl whose family couldn't keep them anymore, and the vet clinics would just put them down, so I had them taken to my boyfriends families house where the kittens were fed thru syringe and eventually able to nurse off of their currently nursing mama cat. (she was a pretty mean mama cat, but we managed). Her own litter were only a couple weeks older than the orphans.

If you're emotions are really going to hurt you to risk saving this kitten, try posting on craigslist and on facebook asking if anyone has or knows of any nursing mama cats that could also nurse one more. I'm sure if you tried hard enough you will find someone! craigslist especially will reach all those who are not included in your facebook circle.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff