Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fluffy Hellraiser

Hello fellow gaians!
(First time posting in this topic!)
Yesterday, I went to fix my hamster's cage up, as I do every sunday. Usually I put Carlos (my hamster) inside a spare cage while I clean, but I hadn't interacted with him in a few days, and quickly noticed a big, furless spot on his bum, covered in, what looked like, bloody scratches.
Now, I do own a cat, but I highly doubt she'd have hurt him, as they go very well along, and she has no access to the cage when I'm not there.
I cleaned up and sensitive as I am, began uncontrollably crying over the weird scars. Now that I've come to my senses, I'd like to ask if it's a disease or something like that, and if there's anything I can do to help my baby..
I can't afford to have him exermined, nor am I allowed to, as my parents believe it's a waste of money on animals.
he's about 2 and a half years old.. he didn't seem to have any pain or any notice to the scars, and my mother
Quickly shrugged it off as being acne..

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
pictures would be useful. Why type of hammy is he? Syrian or a dwarf of some kind?

Fluffy Hellraiser

Keyona
pictures would be useful. Why type of hammy is he? Syrian or a dwarf of some kind?

unfortunately, I'm currently not home. But in my language he's a guld, translating into gold hamster. Though I'm not sure if that's the breeds name in english. Supposedly the race has a regular size, but he seems to be quite smaller than my previous gold hamsters, though still bigger than a dwarf.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Early Apocalypse
Keyona

unfortunately, I'm currently not home. But in my language he's a guld, translating into gold hamster. Though I'm not sure if that's the breeds name in english. Supposedly the race has a regular size, but he seems to be quite smaller than my previous gold hamsters, though still bigger than a dwarf.

okay so he would be a Syrian then. I know they are called golden hamsters sometimes in the US.

is it possible that in his older age he has just lost the hair on his manly bits?

Fluffy Hellraiser

Keyona
Early Apocalypse
Keyona

okay so he would be a Syrian then. I know they are called golden hamsters sometimes in the US.

is it possible that in his older age he has just lost the hair on his manly bits?

Well, could be. Wouldn't explain the scars, but that may be a sign of old age, or simply an extreme-looking rash, he does not seem to suffer from it, other than he doesn't like being held opposite to see it, but that's common for all hamsters, I believe.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Early Apocalypse
Keyona
Early Apocalypse
Keyona

Well, could be. Wouldn't explain the scars, but that may be a sign of old age, or simply an extreme-looking rash, he does not seem to suffer from it, other than he doesn't like being held opposite to see it, but that's common for all hamsters, I believe.

yeah i'm more knowlegable on gerbils.

But are you sure they are scars? have you had him since he was young? do you know how he was housed before hand and about how old he is?

Fluffy Hellraiser

Keyona

yeah i'm more knowlegable on gerbils.

But are you sure they are scars? have you had him since he was young? do you know how he was housed before hand and about how old he is?

I got him from a store, and i don't know how they treat hamsters in stores from example uk or us, but here in denmark their cages are often well-kept and big, though they live crammed in masses of 2-3 in one cage.
Carlos lived with his sister, an albino.
I understand that he's quite old, and might be passing away sooner than later. I was informed he was born January the 27th 2012.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff