Welcome to Gaia! ::

I swear by Nutro. I've tried high, middle and low quality foods, and I always turn to Nutro. My kitty's tummy rejected any other brand of food I've tried. High quality is too rich, and even after slowly adjusting over 3 weeks he still had diarrhea for a month. Low quality makes his fur fall out and his skin dry. So I went back to middle quality Nutro and he is thriving. He's happy and I'm happy.

Nutro MAX CAT Indoor Adult Cat Food - Roasted Chicken Flavor
16 lbs for $24.29. $1.50/lb
373 kcal/cup
Ricin
I swear by Nutro. I've tried high, middle and low quality foods, and I always turn to Nutro. My kitty's tummy rejected any other brand of food I've tried. High quality is too rich, and even after slowly adjusting over 3 weeks he still had diarrhea for a month. Low quality makes his fur fall out and his skin dry. So I went back to middle quality Nutro and he is thriving. He's happy and I'm happy.

373 kcal/cup
You should switch to raw! Anyway I find that weird, my cats all shed a ton and Misty was vomiting daily/ever second day on Nutro - that exact formula.
Henrika
Ricin

373 kcal/cup
You should switch to raw! Anyway I find that weird, my cats all shed a ton and Misty was vomiting daily/ever second day on Nutro - that exact formula.

To each their own, I suppose. I guess its the same between people. My friend can't eat red meat, green veggies, or any fruit. She can only eat poultry, pork and pasta. I get sick without my red meat, fruit and veggies.

I would love to switch him over to raw, but on my current paycheck he'll have to stick with Nutro. Although, I do fill his wet dish with chicken scraps whenever I make chicken. He loves it.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Ricin

373 kcal/cup

Added. Thank you so much for including all the info I needed, especially the kcal. <33
Moth Feathers
Ricin

373 kcal/cup

Added. Thank you so much for including all the info I needed, especially the kcal. <33

You're welcome. I'm not 100% sure the kcal is accurate... I just did a google search. I don't even know what kcal stands for, to be honest. XP

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Ricin
Moth Feathers
Ricin

373 kcal/cup

You're welcome. I'm not 100% sure the kcal is accurate... I just did a google search. I don't even know what kcal stands for, to be honest. XP

Kcal is short for kilocalorie. You know how you see the calorie amount on the bag of foods (human foods, not pet foods)? Like, an item might say, "Only contains 100 calories!" or something.
Technically, a calorie is a measurement of the amount of energy needed to heat some certain amount of water to some certain degree (I forgot the specifics, and it's not worth looking up for this). Anyway, it's a really, really small amount, too impractical our usage, so instead we use "kilocalories", which is a 1000 of those little calories. Technically those "100 calorie" foods are really "100,000" calorie- they're only 100 kilocalorie. Hehe.

In pet food, kcal/cup often means how "potent' or energy packed the food is. Many higher quality foods have really high kcal/cup because they're like high octane fuel in your car. That's also part of the reason why you need to feed less. I've seen cat foods with something like 575 kcal/cup. =o

But it's not the only indicator of quality, and it's entirely possible to have an awesome food with low kcal/cup, or a bad food with high kcal/cup.
Ricin
Henrika
Ricin

373 kcal/cup

To each their own, I suppose. I guess its the same between people. My friend can't eat red meat, green veggies, or any fruit. She can only eat poultry, pork and pasta. I get sick without my red meat, fruit and veggies.

I would love to switch him over to raw, but on my current paycheck he'll have to stick with Nutro. Although, I do fill his wet dish with chicken scraps whenever I make chicken. He loves it.
Yeah I guess it depends on the cats - I think Misty had a corn/grain allergy.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Moth Feathers
Ricin
Moth Feathers
Ricin

373 kcal/cup

Kcal is short for kilocalorie. You know how you see the calorie amount on the bag of foods (human foods, not pet foods)? Like, an item might say, "Only contains 100 calories!" or something.
Technically, a calorie is a measurement of the amount of energy needed to heat some certain amount of water to some certain degree (I forgot the specifics, and it's not worth looking up for this). Anyway, it's a really, really small amount, too impractical our usage, so instead we use "kilocalories", which is a 1000 of those little calories. Technically those "100 calorie" foods are really "100,000" calorie- they're only 100 kilocalorie. Hehe.

In pet food, kcal/cup often means how "potent' or energy packed the food is. Many higher quality foods have really high kcal/cup because they're like high octane fuel in your car. That's also part of the reason why you need to feed less. I've seen cat foods with something like 575 kcal/cup. =o

But it's not the only indicator of quality, and it's entirely possible to have an awesome food with low kcal/cup, or a bad food with high kcal/cup.

when using calories and when it is on food and things they normally denote it with Calories = Kcals, and calories=calories.

it is something i learned in nutrition.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Keyona
Moth Feathers
Ricin
Moth Feathers
Ricin

373 kcal/cup

when using calories and when it is on food and things they normally denote it with Calories = Kcals, and calories=calories.

it is something i learned in nutrition.

Yep.
Usually people in conversation just type Calories out as "calorie", though, lol. I don't see many uses for calories so I guess as a habit we've started lowercasing them.
Hey Moth! I was recently brought to my attention that theres a grain-free dog food thats on-par with the quality of TOTW and cheaper! Its 1.3/lb from one website, 1.4 from another. Only problem is it seems to be hard to find. :/

Victor Grain Free Super Premium
30lbs for 40.99, 1.36 (We'll take the middle road)
395/kalcup

Then their best product is Victor Grain Free Ultra Professional
All I can find is 30lbs for 65. 2.16
495 kal/cup
I deff think the Acana is one of the greatest dog and cat food out there. I worked at a holistic pet food store and Acana was the best seller hands down for breeders. Quite pricey though.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
11 Cardinal 11
Hey Moth! I was recently brought to my attention that theres a grain-free dog food thats on-par with the quality of TOTW and cheaper! Its 1.3/lb from one website, 1.4 from another. Only problem is it seems to be hard to find. :/

Victor Grain Free Super Premium
30lbs for 40.99, 1.36 (We'll take the middle road)
395/kalcup

Then their best product is Victor Grain Free Ultra Professional
All I can find is 30lbs for 65. 2.16
495 kal/cup

Added, thanks .^^
Moth Feathers
Ricin
Moth Feathers
Ricin

373 kcal/cup

Oh, okay! Thanks for explaining that. Guess you learn something new every day, huh?
I'm sure my kitty gets plenty of kcal... he's a chubby little thing. He was in "custody" of my ex until this week, and was allowed free-feed. Now he's going on a diet. He'll still have "free-feed" but when it runs out - that's it until tomorrow. The kcal thing might help me figure out how much I should be feeding him every day.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
thinking I may drop down to one of the "Better" brands for Ika...

the grain store's best brands are only Welness Core, Wysong Epigen, and Taste of the Wild...

I could suck it up and drop the money for the 12-15 lb bags but I don't know really how to keep it since it takes her a couple months to go through her 5/6lb bag of food....
Keyona
thinking I may drop down to one of the "Better" brands for Ika...

the grain store's best brands are only Welness Core, Wysong Epigen, and Taste of the Wild...

I could suck it up and drop the money for the 12-15 lb bags but I don't know really how to keep it since it takes her a couple months to go through her 5/6lb bag of food....

Freezing is supposed to help keep it longer, I've heard.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff