Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Just ordered food for ika!

I found a CHEAP place (at least for me...living in the US with no stores that sell it around me) to get Acana and Orijen.

So I ordered Acana today for Ika to try, if she likes it then I think I will keep with it. It is 17.99/18.99 on Petflow.com, and they have flat rate shipping. I got free shipping because I ordered a few other things for her to try as well.

1. Freeze dried lamb bites from Nature's Variety
2. Trying out a kitty kong that I can stuff.

6,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Moth Feathers
thenightgoddess

All foods have been added.
In the future, it would be helpful if you could give me the kcal/cup for each food too. ^^

Also, you mention "Petsmart store brands". Keep in mind good food like Blue and Wellness are also sold at Petsmart, in the case that's the only place you can get your pet food from.

The Authority brands are in the "Bad" category because they contain pretty bad grains (corn) that frequently cause allergies in cats and dogs and are often there just to boost up the protein percentage in the food.

Simply Nourish is in the "Better" category.

Purina Cat Chow is and has been up on the list and it is in the "Worst" category.
Authority and Simply Nourish are the better and best store brand foods for petsmart. I work at petsmart thats why I was wondering where you would put it because how we are tought is that pedegree, alpo, dog chow/cat chow, and foods like that are in the good catagory. Authority, science diet, pro plan, nutro max, and foods like that are in the better catagory. and Blue buffalo, wellness, simply nourish, nutro, innova and foods like that are in the best catagory. We are encouraged to sell people Authority that dont want to spend the money on another dog food because its a little cheaper then most. If the person is willing to spend the money I try to get them to buy blue buffalo its my personal favorite dog food. My mom wont spend the money on it she feeds the dog senior authority(it doesnt help that I get a $10 off coupon for either authority or simply nourish every month for working there) and she feeds the cat the cat chow naturals. I tired to get her to switch once but she told me she wouldnt pay me back for the food if I kept buying it.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
thenightgoddess
Moth Feathers
thenightgoddess

In the future, it would be helpful if you could give me the kcal/cup for each food too. ^^

Also, you mention "Petsmart store brands". Keep in mind good food like Blue and Wellness are also sold at Petsmart, in the case that's the only place you can get your pet food from.

The Authority brands are in the "Bad" category because they contain pretty bad grains (corn) that frequently cause allergies in cats and dogs and are often there just to boost up the protein percentage in the food.

Purina Cat Chow is and has been up on the list and it is in the "Worst" category.
Authority and Simply Nourish are the better and best store brand foods for petsmart. I work at petsmart thats why I was wondering where you would put it because how we are tought is that pedegree, alpo, dog chow/cat chow, and foods like that are in the good catagory. Authority, science diet, pro plan, nutro max, and foods like that are in the better catagory. and Blue buffalo, wellness, simply nourish, nutro, innova and foods like that are in the best catagory. We are encouraged to sell people Authority that dont want to spend the money on another dog food because its a little cheaper then most. If the person is willing to spend the money I try to get them to buy blue buffalo its my personal favorite dog food. My mom wont spend the money on it she feeds the dog senior authority(it doesnt help that I get a $10 off coupon for either authority or simply nourish every month for working there) and she feeds the cat the cat chow naturals. I tired to get her to switch once but she told me she wouldnt pay me back for the food if I kept buying it.

Hrm, it's good to know how Petsmart categorizes their foods. Just reinforces my idea on how Petsmart is crazy. xp I really super disagree with a lot of their small animal husbandry.

Sorry about the situation with your mom. So her cats/dogs have been fed on good food once, but she wouldn't continue it?

6,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Moth Feathers
thenightgoddess
Moth Feathers
thenightgoddess

Hrm, it's good to know how Petsmart categorizes their foods. Just reinforces my idea on how Petsmart is crazy. xp I really super disagree with a lot of their small animal husbandry.

Sorry about the situation with your mom. So her cats/dogs have been fed on good food once, but she wouldn't continue it?
It was only one or two bags before she made me stop buying them. She used to feed the dog beneful so at least authority is better then that. She tried to feed her nutro but she wouldnt eat it and my mom didnt like the price of it anyway.

Rainbow Exhibitionist

9,200 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Clambake 200
D= The feed store stopped carrying the premade raw I wanted to buy. All they had left was expiring in two days. Haaaaaate.
dark eclipse
D= The feed store stopped carrying the premade raw I wanted to buy. All they had left was expiring in two days. Haaaaaate.
Expiring? They don't freeze it?
Henrika
dark eclipse

It would still have a best before date on it.

Rainbow Exhibitionist

9,200 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Clambake 200
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Henrika
dark eclipse

It would still have a best before date on it.

Yeah. The best before date. =p And it wasn't even the patties, so I would have had to thaw and refreeze to make out portions.
I'm wondering about people's opinion on Royal Canin for cats. I haven't tried that for my senior cats frequent sickness, so if anyone wants to throw a suggestion out there, that will be great. User Image

Edit: The ingredients don't look super great but it might be worth a try if it gets Shadow to stop throwing up all the time. ;-;
Xiphophorus
I'm wondering about people's opinion on Royal Canin for cats. I haven't tried that for my senior cats frequent sickness, so if anyone wants to throw a suggestion out there, that will be great. User Image

Edit: The ingredients don't look super great but it might be worth a try if it gets Shadow to stop throwing up all the time. ;-;

Can you post the ingredients?
/lazy

Do you know what makes her throw up?
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Xiphophorus
I'm wondering about people's opinion on Royal Canin for cats. I haven't tried that for my senior cats frequent sickness, so if anyone wants to throw a suggestion out there, that will be great. :angel:

/lazy

here :unwilling:

We honestly don't know. Foods that are lacking in dyes help a little, Purina Beyond One or the 9Lives/Simply Nourish mix seem to do the best but she still blows chunks about twice a week, usually in front of my mom when she sits down to eat dinner. We've had her checked out by a variety of vets and they all say she's in perfect health. We've tried all different types of food. I think everything except royal canin and blue buffalo, but BB is out of my price range and we have some royal canin small "trial" bags on clearance right now. ;-;
Xiphophorus
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Xiphophorus
I'm wondering about people's opinion on Royal Canin for cats. I haven't tried that for my senior cats frequent sickness, so if anyone wants to throw a suggestion out there, that will be great. :angel:

/lazy

here :unwilling:

We honestly don't know. Foods that are lacking in dyes help a little, Purina Beyond One or the 9Lives/Simply Nourish mix seem to do the best but she still blows chunks about twice a week, usually in front of my mom when she sits down to eat dinner. We've had her checked out by a variety of vets and they all say she's in perfect health. We've tried all different types of food. I think everything except royal canin and blue buffalo, but BB is out of my price range and we have some royal canin small "trial" bags on clearance right now. ;-;

Personally, I wouldn't feed it. I actually stopped looking after about the fourth or fifth ingredient. Corn is second, followed by rice, followed by more corn.

I'd look into a limited ingredients food, grain free if possible. Perhaps a protein source outside of the standard chicken/beef/fish.
~ Aki - Fairy ~
I know, that's why I'm so reluctant about it. Gah. I've tried the limited ingredient. I may just have to break down and grab a bag of BB tomorrow after work. :c

See, she gets protein. I try to feed her tuna/chicken at least once a week MINIMUM. My own cat is a mystery.
Xiphophorus
~ Aki - Fairy ~
I know, that's why I'm so reluctant about it. Gah. I've tried the limited ingredient. I may just have to break down and grab a bag of BB tomorrow after work. :c

See, she gets protein. I try to feed her tuna/chicken at least once a week MINIMUM. My own cat is a mystery.

Can you do any better than BB?

I'm thinking different protein, though - duck, turkey, lamb, rabbit, venison, etc..

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff