Welcome to Gaia! ::

Adain-chan
I was actual looking at BFF as an option so I'm glad you mentioned it. It's hard finding feeding directions on websites that carry various cat foods so it definitely seems like Month suggestion to actually browse at the local store will be the best plan.

It's a good food and my cat seems to really like it (dog too, actually - she gets to lick off the spoon after), I just have to mix in some kibble if I'm going to only give her half a can for a meal (she only gets wet "once" a week [one can spread between two suppers]), and I wish they didn't have fish involved in every flavour.

I also like the texture of BFF better than Wellness, personally - it doesn't look as blender-ized/looks more like "real food" (or at least like canned tuna/salmon sort of chunky-ness). There is actually fish bones in it as well, which is kind of nice to see in a way. The actual little chunks of pumpkin in the flavour with it threw me off the first time/I had to double-check what I was feeding - they're a slightly orange-er colour than but the same size as kernels of corn.

Because supply varies so much between stores I definitely find it easier to just browse the selection when I'm there and make a point of checking out the options whenever I can (and since I don't feed solely wet I'll just pick up a few cans of what looks good based on where I'm at rather than getting fixed on a single brand/making a special trip to a specific store just for wet)

Dapper Explorer

~ Aki - Fairy ~
Adain-chan
I was actual looking at BFF as an option so I'm glad you mentioned it. It's hard finding feeding directions on websites that carry various cat foods so it definitely seems like Month suggestion to actually browse at the local store will be the best plan.

It's a good food and my cat seems to really like it (dog too, actually - she gets to lick off the spoon after), I just have to mix in some kibble if I'm going to only give her half a can for a meal (she only gets wet "once" a week [one can spread between two suppers]), and I wish they didn't have fish involved in every flavour.

I also like the texture of BFF better than Wellness, personally - it doesn't look as blender-ized/looks more like "real food" (or at least like canned tuna/salmon sort of chunky-ness). There is actually fish bones in it as well, which is kind of nice to see in a way. The actual little chunks of pumpkin in the flavour with it threw me off the first time/I had to double-check what I was feeding - they're a slightly orange-er colour than but the same size as kernels of corn.

Because supply varies so much between stores I definitely find it easier to just browse the selection when I'm there and make a point of checking out the options whenever I can (and since I don't feed solely wet I'll just pick up a few cans of what looks good based on where I'm at rather than getting fixed on a single brand/making a special trip to a specific store just for wet)
I've feed my cat canned on occasion before and texture is very important to her. If it's too blended together and pasty then she won't eat it. One of the main reasons I want to switch her is because she has a dandruff problem and from what I understand this could be due to not enough dietary moisture, so I want to at least giver her half a can a day.

Dedicated Entrepreneur

17,025 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Henrika
leo hime san
Man...at this rate, I'll have to prepare my dog's/cat's meals on my own if I ever adopt again. All the wet and dry food brands imported into my country are from the mainstream problematic companies. Every last one.
Where do you live?

Jamaica. Trust me, the major brands have us by the family jewels. >_< Science Diet, Pedigree, Beneful, Alpo, Purina, Whiskas, Friskies...you name it, it's here. And it's all chuck full of questionable material.
leo hime san
Henrika
leo hime san
Man...at this rate, I'll have to prepare my dog's/cat's meals on my own if I ever adopt again. All the wet and dry food brands imported into my country are from the mainstream problematic companies. Every last one.
Where do you live?

Jamaica. Trust me, the major brands have us by the family jewels. >_< Science Diet, Pedigree, Beneful, Alpo, Purina, Whiskas, Friskies...you name it, it's here. And it's all chuck full of questionable material.
Amazon ships to Jamaica, I know that they sell Orijen + Acana, and probably a bunch of other high quality brands smile

Dedicated Entrepreneur

17,025 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Henrika
leo hime san
Henrika
leo hime san
Where do you live?

Amazon ships to Jamaica, I know that they sell Orijen + Acana, and probably a bunch of other high quality brands smile

Ah, good to know. biggrin Will have to set up a system to be able to keep importing those foods first; just hope my old yet very faithful dog can hold out till then. smile

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
~ Aki - Fairy ~

since I just have Walmart to really by wet food from... I vary it between some of the Purina brands (bad me I know ) but I grabbed a fancy feast and it was Fish and Shrimp flaked...there are actually SHRIMP in the can! and the cat really liked it. the ingredients don't seem to bad "Ocean Fish, Fish Broth, Shrimp, Calcium Phosphate, Vegetable Oil, Guar Gum..." mystery fish... but... yeah
Keyona
since I just have Walmart to really by wet food from... I vary it between some of the Purina brands (bad me I know ) but I grabbed a fancy feast and it was Fish and Shrimp flaked...there are actually SHRIMP in the can! and the cat really liked it. the ingredients don't seem to bad "Ocean Fish, Fish Broth, Shrimp, Calcium Phosphate, Vegetable Oil, Guar Gum..." mystery fish... but... yeah

It's so awesome when you can actually identify ingredients in the food. I bought some stuff from Walmart the other day just because I don't know when I'll make it to a pet store and was running low; can't remember the name right now, but it's actually shredded meat (like if you took a piece of turkey and just tore off strands).

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Keyona

It's so awesome when you can actually identify ingredients in the food. I bought some stuff from Walmart the other day just because I don't know when I'll make it to a pet store and was running low; can't remember the name right now, but it's actually shredded meat (like if you took a piece of turkey and just tore off strands).

nice, and yeah, the innova food I used once was the blenderized and ika didn't care to greatly for it, but you could identify the carrot pieces <.<
Keyona
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Keyona

nice, and yeah, the innova food I used once was the blenderized and ika didn't care to greatly for it, but you could identify the carrot pieces <.<

Haven't tried Innova yet. Not sure if Saphi's picky about texture or not, so I might try it eventually.

What would be nice is if more wet food was sold in clear containers so you could know what you're buying.
SoooOOOoo.. My favorite pet store in the WHOLE world just got in a NEW FOOD! Chhheerrr. Its Earthborn and I've actually had the 'pleasure' or ordering it offline before for more than the store is now selling it for. They have the grainfree foods AND the non-grainfree. The grainfree dog food is 1.6/lb and comes in a 30lb bag.. So roughly 50bucks.

Primitive Natural GrainFree: Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), Dried Egg Product, Tomato Pomace, Apples, Blueberries, Carrots, Peas, Spinach

The cat food is 30 dollars for roughly 15 pounds.. so 2 dollars a lb.

Primitive Naturals Catfood: Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Pea Protein, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Peas, Potatoes, Dried Egg Product, Herring Meal, Salmon Meal, Ground Flaxseed, Pea Fiber, Natural Flavor, Sweet Potatoes, Whitefish Meal,

biggrin

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Keyona
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Keyona

Haven't tried Innova yet. Not sure if Saphi's picky about texture or not, so I might try it eventually.

What would be nice is if more wet food was sold in clear containers so you could know what you're buying.

"pate" = blenderized <.<

Flaked and chunky kinds are a little hit and miss, with how "real" they look.

I wish more of the flaked stuff that was sold wasn't in gravy *shudder*

and I know fish isn't really that great to always feed, but OMG Ika loves Trout/Salmon TOTW kibble... she will eat it quickly... but only picks at the Trout/Venison kind.

Dapper Explorer

~ Aki - Fairy ~
Keyona
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Keyona

Amen. It's always frustrating to buy a kind of cat food that you think your cat will like only to open the can, realize it's a pate and that your cat won't eat it.
Adain-chan
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Keyona
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Keyona

Amen. It's always frustrating to buy a kind of cat food that you think your cat will like only to open the can, realize it's a pate and that your cat won't eat it.
My cats will ONLY eat pate. And then we have to be careful which flavours we give to which cats. If we give them the wrong flavours they pout and stare at us all rage-facey.

Dapper Explorer

Henrika
Adain-chan
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Keyona
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Keyona

My cats will ONLY eat pate. And then we have to be careful which flavours we give to which cats. If we give them the wrong flavours they pout and stare at us all rage-facey.
My cat isn't so picky about flavor, but to her texture is EVERYTHING. If it's too smooth and pasty she'll take a bite or two and then just wander away. It's amazing how picky cats can be.
Adain-chan
Henrika
My cat isn't so picky about flavor, but to her texture is EVERYTHING. If it's too smooth and pasty she'll take a bite or two and then just wander away. It's amazing how picky cats can be.
Yeah mine are picky about texture too - that's why they don't like the shredded stuff in gravy.

Though they love real turkey and meat, especially Misty who over the past 12 years we have turned into a massive beggar. I guess she is the product of growing up with kids who never finish their food. It's ok though, real food is a nice change from kibble and pate. I can't get Rolo to eat real food unless it's raw lol. I mean, it's great he will eat raw, but at thanksgiving/ holidays we will feed leftover meat to the cats, and Rolo won't touch it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff