Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Just came across this:

Life's Abundance Premium Health Food For Cats

INGREDIENTS:
Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Catfish Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Natural Flavors, Flaxseed Meal, Fish Oil, Turkey Meal, Lecithin, Potassium Chloride, Monosodium Phosphate, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium thermophilum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Fructooligosaccharide, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Dried Alfalfa Sprouts, Dog Grass Extract, Pomegranate Extract, Manganese Proteinate, Beta-Carotene, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Inositol, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Zinc Oxide, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Acetate, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid.

Serving suggestions for adult cats:
3-6 lbs (1/4 -1/3 cup)
7-12 lbs (1/3-1/2 cup)
13-18 lbs (1/2-3/4 cup)

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein (min)............................33.0%
Crude Fat (min)..................................21.0%
Crude Fiber (max)................................3.0%
Moisture (max)..................................10.0%
Ash (max)............................................6.5%
Calcium (min)......................................1.0%
Phosphorus (min).................................0.8%
Vitamin A (min)..............................20,000 IU/kg
Vitamin E (min)...................................210 IU/kg
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)* (min)............150 mg/kg
Omega-3 Fatty Acids* (min).................0.5%
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* (min).................3.0%
Total microorganisms* (min)..............150,000,000 CFU/lb
(L. acidophilus, L. casei, B. thermophilum and E. facecium in equal amounts)

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles

CALORIE CONTENT: Metabolizable Energy (ME) = 4,065 kcal/kg, 495 kcal/cup (calculated). Amounts are based on the use of a standard measuring cup.

Price (from their web site):
6.6lb bag = $18.26 ($15.53 if auto shipped)
16.56lb bag = $42.31 ($36.44 if auto shipped)

Their dry food isn't grain free, but their wet food is Grain free, and also has no fruit or veggies added to it.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
http://www.lifesabundance.com/Pets/PetsHome.aspx?realname=20052776&cat=0&hdr=&Ath=False

that is the website. I can get you the information for the dog food later.

Their cat food is all life stages.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Mistress of Rain

Added, thanks.

Wet food isn't included in this list because few people feed it as their main/staple food. But it's nice to know.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Moth Feathers
Mistress of Rain

Added, thanks.

Wet food isn't included in this list because few people feed it as their main/staple food. But it's nice to know.

No problem I only added that tid bit because I thought it was interesting to note. Since they seemed to know their cat info... about desert and having poor thirst drives. Also noted that only reason they use grains and the like in their dry food is so they can make the kibbles.
Mistress of Rain
Moth Feathers
Mistress of Rain

Added, thanks.

No problem I only added that tid bit because I thought it was interesting to note. Since they seemed to know their cat info... about desert and having poor thirst drives. Also noted that only reason they use grains and the like in their dry food is so they can make the kibbles.
Well there has to be a binding agent of some kind.. its why all kibbles are inherently flawed. Epigen uses gelatine as their binding agent, and Nature's variety uses tapioca + other starches/vegetables as does Orijen.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Henrika
Mistress of Rain
Moth Feathers
Mistress of Rain

Added, thanks.

Well there has to be a binding agent of some kind.. its why all kibbles are inherently flawed. Epigen uses gelatine as their binding agent, and Nature's variety uses tapioca + other starches/vegetables as does Orijen.

Yeah.

It really frustrates me when people buy a high-quality kibble and think, "Oh man, this is good as raw!"
I mean, high quality kibble is great and all, but nothing can compare to raw except, well, raw ('raw' including the freezedried meats and all the other premade raw things out there).
Moth Feathers
Henrika
Mistress of Rain
Moth Feathers
Mistress of Rain

Added, thanks.

Yeah.

It really frustrates me when people buy a high-quality kibble and think, "Oh man, this is good as raw!"
I mean, high quality kibble is great and all, but nothing can compare to raw except, well, raw ('raw' including the freezedried meats and all the other premade raw things out there).
Exactly - though even pre made has flaws. Nature's Variety Instinct for example only has 40% protein on a DM basis, because 30% of it is made up of ash and herbal supplements which means they are using a lot of carcasses that have all the good cuts of meat taken off, which is not ideal. Pets4Life is a much better commercial brand, with about 50-60% protein on a DM basis, which is MUCH better, but it's also much pricier. Epigen kibble's protein is actually 67% on a DM basis, which while fine if mixed with other food is a tad on the high side to just feed that. Orijen is about 50%, so I mix epigen + origen to get the best of both kibbles, and then supplement raw food to round it off. Oh also, the average DM protein of a whole mouse is about 56%, and I want to start feeding whole prey as soon as I have the freezer space.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Henrika
Moth Feathers
Henrika
Mistress of Rain
Moth Feathers
Mistress of Rain

Added, thanks.

Yeah.

Exactly - though even pre made has flaws. Nature's Variety Instinct for example only has 40% protein on a DM basis, because 30% of it is made up of ash and herbal supplements which means they are using a lot of carcasses that have all the good cuts of meat taken off, which is not ideal. Pets4Life is a much better commercial brand, with about 50-60% protein on a DM basis, which is MUCH better, but it's also much pricier. Epigen kibble's protein is actually 67% on a DM basis, which while fine if mixed with other food is a tad on the high side to just feed that. Orijen is about 50%, so I mix epigen + origen to get the best of both kibbles, and then supplement raw food to round it off. Oh also, the average DM protein of a whole mouse is about 56%, and I want to start feeding whole prey as soon as I have the freezer space.

Found out that my feed store (where I get TOTW) has Epigen. Made me smile.

I under stand that there has to be a binding agent, but to have a company basicaly go "yeah it is there because it kind of needs to be for binding" is pretty cool. I liked that in their wet that they don't add any of it.

Feline Fairy

Dedicated Entrepreneur

10,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Man...at this rate, I'll have to prepare my dog's/cat's meals on my own if I ever adopt again. All the wet and dry food brands imported into my country are from the mainstream problematic companies. Every last one.
leo hime san
Man...at this rate, I'll have to prepare my dog's/cat's meals on my own if I ever adopt again. All the wet and dry food brands imported into my country are from the mainstream problematic companies. Every last one.
Where do you live?

Dapper Explorer

I'd really like to know more about wet cat foods since I want to switch my cat to wet and I've been trying to find out which will give me the most bang for my buck so to speak, but it's all rather confusing.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Adain-chan
I'd really like to know more about wet cat foods since I want to switch my cat to wet and I've been trying to find out which will give me the most bang for my buck so to speak, but it's all rather confusing.

Fortunately wet cat foods don't have nearly the same problems as dry- you can't have the product containing mostly corn when it's in a can, you know?

Even Friskie's wet food doesn't have nearly as bad ingredients as Friskie's dry. Not that I recommend feeding Friskie's, but just an example.

Choose a wet food without byproducts and mystery meats, and stay away from the 'gravy' because often this gravy is just full of starches.
Blue is a nice brand, and so is Wellness. But I'd honestly just take an hour or so, go to the pet store one day, and look over all the canned foods they have.

Also, considering feeding partial raw. Chicken wings don't cost very much and are a very good treat for a cat.

Feline Fairy

Adain-chan

On top of what Moth said about watching ingredients, be careful of feeding guidelines especially if comparing prices.

Wellness is pricier than other brands, but you also don't need to feed as much of it. For example, a grain free brand the 'local' PetLand carries -Best Feline Friend- is a dollar less than Wellness for the same sized can. One can of Wellness is a full day's serving (two meals) for an 8-ish pound cat. One can of BFF is only half a day's serving (one meal). So really, in this instance, you're not saving any money by buying the cheaper option, despite the price-tag difference.

Dapper Explorer

~ Aki - Fairy ~
Adain-chan

On top of what Moth said about watching ingredients, be careful of feeding guidelines especially if comparing prices.

Wellness is pricier than other brands, but you also don't need to feed as much of it. For example, a grain free brand the 'local' PetLand carries -Best Feline Friend- is a dollar less than Wellness for the same sized can. One can of Wellness is a full day's serving (two meals) for an 8-ish pound cat. One can of BFF is only half a day's serving (one meal). So really, in this instance, you're not saving any money by buying the cheaper option, despite the price-tag difference.
I was actual looking at BFF as an option so I'm glad you mentioned it. It's hard finding feeding directions on websites that carry various cat foods so it definitely seems like Month suggestion to actually browse at the local store will be the best plan.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff