Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Alright, posting is open!
You should add Kirkland if you can find anything on it, since it's typically promoted as a "good for the price-range" food.

And Walmart (Canada) has a decent-ish brand called Actr1um.

And to add to the bad: Cesar. Before changing the formula it was around $15-18 for the about 5lbs bag.

-going to the city in a couple days, so I'll try to get some current info in regards to price/bag size for these and others-

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
~ Aki - Fairy ~
You should add Kirkland if you can find anything on it, since it's typically promoted as a "good for the price-range" food.

And to add to the bad: Cesar. Before changing the formula it was around $15-18 for the about 5lbs bag.

-going to the city in a couple days, so I'll try to get some current info in regards to price/bag size for these and others-

Added Kirkland's, that was a good one. Thanks!

Can you find any info on Actr1um? I was unable to find price info on it. Also, on some dog forum I saw these ingredients posted for it...are these correct?
Quote:
chicken,ground yellow corn,wheat flour,ground wheat,poultry by-product meal,corn gluten meal,tallow preserved with mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E),dried whey,dicalcium phosphate,salt,animal digest,potassium chloride, choline chloride, l-lysine monochloride,calcium carbonate, zinc sulfate,ferrous sulfate, vitamin supplements (E,A,B-12,D-3),riboflavin supplement,niacin,calcium pantothenate,manganese sulfate,biotin,thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, menadione sodium bisulfate complex (source of vitamin k activity), calcium lodate, sodium selenite.

I can't find any dry version of Cesar's, though some sites says there is one. Do you have a link?
Moth Feathers
~ Aki - Fairy ~

Can you find any info on Actr1um? I was unable to find price info on it. Also, on some dog forum I saw these ingredients posted for it...are these correct?
Quote:
chicken,ground yellow corn,wheat flour,ground wheat,poultry by-product meal,corn gluten meal,tallow preserved with mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E),dried whey,dicalcium phosphate,salt,animal digest,potassium chloride, choline chloride, l-lysine monochloride,calcium carbonate, zinc sulfate,ferrous sulfate, vitamin supplements (E,A,B-12,D-3),riboflavin supplement,niacin,calcium pantothenate,manganese sulfate,biotin,thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, menadione sodium bisulfate complex (source of vitamin k activity), calcium lodate, sodium selenite.

I can't find any dry version of Cesar's, though some sites says there is one. Do you have a link?

I believe Actr1um has changed their formula. It didn't look too awful the one time I glanced, but it is a b***h to look up online. I'll probably be popping into Walmart on Wednesday, so I'll copy the first ~10 ingredients, as well as some prices and weights.

www.cesar.com - their website. Quick glance tells me this new stuff is better than the old stuff was, at least.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Moth Feathers
~ Aki - Fairy ~

Quote:

I believe Actr1um has changed their formula. It didn't look too awful the one time I glanced, but it is a b***h to look up online. I'll probably be popping into Walmart on Wednesday, so I'll copy the first ~10 ingredients, as well as some prices and weights.

www.cesar.com - their website. Quick glance tells me this new stuff is better than the old stuff was, at least.

Aww, you don't have to take all that time and copy the ingredients. I just need to make sure what category it fits in.

I still can't find any dry food on Cesar's website? Only those little wet, packaged 'cuisines'. Which is irritating me, since several websites -say- Cesar's has dry, except I can't find any. I found one website that gave its ingredients but no price!

Also, I think it's hilarious that they always put a Westie on their package when Westies should be fed anything but awful food like Cesar's.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Oh my gosh I love you for this idea! Always have people asking the price difference when I try to suggest better foods for their animals. Too bad there isn't really a way to judge how much raw feeding costs though. Too many different options with that for it to really work.
Good thread! Not a huge help to me, different country, slightly different money, and we use grams and kilograms here instead of pounds. It is great to link people on the forum to though.

Make sure you mention that usually dogs need less of the expensive high quality foods, because they only need a small amount to get their nutrients. My dog used to have about a cup, maybe more of cheap food in the bad and awful zone. When we switch to canidae grainless (currently raw but it isn't going to work out for us, maybe in a few years I will have more time etc.) the same dog will need less then half a cup of food.

I like to figure out how much my dogs will need together each day, then divide the size of the kibble bag with how much they would need daily, and it gives me the number of days the bag of food would last me, and then I can buy in bulk. If I bulk buy canidae grainless, the monthly cost will be about 35, plus shipping, and if I get the canidae with grains in bulk it will be 26 plus shipping each month,
Pedegree would probably cost about 20+ a month, though I would rather pay a bit extra for a bag of meaty dog food that is healthy for my dogs then pay money for a bag of corn, dyes and chemicals that will make me spend more money at the vet.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Moth finally has a thread of her own ^_^

And YAY I love this thread already.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
One that I would be a good one to ad is the Purina Beyond ONE, it isn't great but it doesn't have corn in it.

Edit:

I see it in the dog section, here is the cat stuff on it:

Purina ONE® beyOnd™ Chicken & Whole Oat Meal Recipe
13 lb for 23: 1.8 (Petsmart)

Quote:
Chicken, chicken meal, whole brown rice, soybean meal, whole barley, whole oat meal, soy protein isolate, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), brewers dried yeast, dried egg product, natural flavor, dried beet pulp, fish oil, phosphoric acid, caramel color, dried carrots, salt, dried sweet potatoes, dried apples, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, taurine, choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, niacin, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.
I actually think you should list the prices as "price per daily feeding amount" or "price per calories".

Because even though Orijen or Nature's Variety cost in the $3per pound range, and the shittiest cat foods cost only $1 per pound, you have to feed 1/2cup of Orijen and 1 and 1/2 cups of s**t quality food. SO, the prices even out in the end when you factor in feeding amounts.

We used to feed our four cats Nutro Max Cat. It cost $30 for a 17lb bag, but now we feed Acana which costs $40 for a 15lb bag. At first my mom balked at the price, but I offered to pay the $10 difference and she has agreed to keep them on for two reasons. 1. The cats stopped their random puking - a sign of allergy, and they seem more active and healthy. 2. The 15 pound bag of Acana actually lasts us longer, so it's not actually more expensive. (We are fairly sure it costs less actually.)
MlizGr
Oh my gosh I love you for this idea! Always have people asking the price difference when I try to suggest better foods for their animals. Too bad there isn't really a way to judge how much raw feeding costs though. Too many different options with that for it to really work.
For fun, we could calculate the costs of a pre made raw diet like Nature's Variety.

Not all raw brands are equal of course, there is a raw pet food service in Vancouver that is EXTREMELY expensive. It's basically like prepping the raw food yourself at home, except it's done by experts and all the mess is taken care of by someone else. It's quite a cool service actually, you tell them what animal you own, (cat/dog/ferret) and what type of meat you want (duck/chicken/turkey/lamb/pork/rabbit/beef/etc), if your pet has any health concerns or allergies etc. and they will prep a combination of ground pre-made, diced, raw meaty bones etc. and you come pick it up when it's ready!

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Henrika
MlizGr
For fun, we could calculate the costs of a pre made raw diet like Nature's Variety.

Not all raw brands are equal of course, there is a raw pet food service in Vancouver that is EXTREMELY expensive. It's basically like prepping the raw food yourself at home, except it's done by experts and all the mess is taken care of by someone else. It's quite a cool service actually, you tell them what animal you own, (cat/dog/ferret) and what type of meat you want (duck/chicken/turkey/lamb/pork/rabbit/beef/etc), if your pet has any health concerns or allergies etc. and they will prep a combination of ground pre-made, diced, raw meaty bones etc. and you come pick it up when it's ready!

okay that is pretty awesome!

I know you are in Canada but do you ever go to petsmart or anything? Cause I see the fridge section for animal food and when ever I look in it it is all dog food, and can never find cat food stuff in any petstore i go to....

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Mistress of Rain
One that I would be a good one to ad is the Purina Beyond ONE, it isn't great but it doesn't have corn in it.

Edit:

Quote:
Chicken, chicken meal, whole brown rice, soybean meal, whole barley, whole oat meal, soy protein isolate, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), brewers dried yeast, dried egg product, natural flavor, dried beet pulp, fish oil, phosphoric acid, caramel color, dried carrots, salt, dried sweet potatoes, dried apples, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, taurine, choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, niacin, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.

Thanks! I knew I was forgetting something, lol. Added it, look good to you?

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Moth Feathers
Mistress of Rain

Edit:

Quote:

Thanks! I knew I was forgetting something, lol. Added it, look good to you?

When I was looking for cat food for Ika (since Shipping up here is expensive, and no really pet stores may of had to go with what ever is better at walmart) And That is what i was going to do... but the feed store had good food (yay TOTW!)

Aged Hunter

Awesome thread Moth! Already subscribed so I can find it quickly for folks 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff