feed twice a day 0.2 20.0% [ 1 ]
feed three times a day 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes:[ 5 ]

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
so i have several goldfish and love them dearly. i feed them once a day when i get up and then just a few pellets per fish. i've been reading up on them a lot recently and most places say to feed them 3 times a day. this goes against everything i know about fish. they say its because they dont have stomachs. but ive also read that their stomachs are only the size of their eyes! i'm so confused! i just want to do whats best for my babies...so should i start feeding them twice a day or keep doing what im doing? they are thriving with what im doing, but if i can make them even happier i want to. so what do you do with your fish. and before you ask, yes i do feed several different types of food, different pellets at least. i don't like flakes. sorry this turned out longer than i wanted it to be.
"Don't have stomachs." I don't know whether to laugh, or to facepalm. Who in history came up with that idea? Whoever they were, they didn't take/understand basic fish biology.

Even the living bottomless pits that are goldfish have stomachs. xD And they aren't very big. They just don't have much of a clue when they're full, so their reputation goes.
If it's not broke, don't fix it. If your fish are happy and thriving with your current routine, keep doing what you're doing. If you want to make them happier, though, try more variety, not more frequency. Frozen/live foods are always an option, if you can get them and/or they don't gross you out. Goldies also like plant matter, so there's that option, too.

Also, think of it this way: Higher frequency of feeding means more waste. More waste means more cleaning. That means more work for you in the long run, and the potential of knocking your N-cycle for a loop.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Eizoryu
"Don't have stomachs." I don't know whether to laugh, or to facepalm. Who in history came up with that idea? Whoever they were, they didn't take/understand basic fish biology.

Even the living bottomless pits that are goldfish have stomachs. xD And they aren't very big. They just don't have much of a clue when they're full, so their reputation goes.
If it's not broke, don't fix it. If your fish are happy and thriving with your current routine, keep doing what you're doing. If you want to make them happier, though, try more variety, not more frequency. Frozen/live foods are always an option, if you can get them and/or they don't gross you out. Goldies also like plant matter, so there's that option, too.

Also, think of it this way: Higher frequency of feeding means more waste. More waste means more cleaning. That means more work for you in the long run, and the potential of knocking your N-cycle for a loop.

you should facepalm because i found that on a lot of sites. i dont pay attention to something if just one site says it, but a lot of places do so i was curious. what kind of live foods would i feed to a goldfish? they are vegetarians right? that site also said that they like light. my fishies have been happy with just the natural light that comes through the window. it said that the light can bring out their colors more. normally i would say that's bull, but i have seen it happen with my own eyes. i had a fantail in my sarasas and he had been doing great for 3 or four years but started getting bullied by a new addition, so i moved him to a tank that did have a light. he was originally almost pure white but with 3 orange fins and one orange eye. after a week of being in the tank light all his fins have a gorgeous black tip. so do you know anything about that?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff