Welcome to Gaia! ::

Have you gone against your parents to get a pet?

Yes 0.27027027027027 27.0% [ 10 ]
No 0.64864864864865 64.9% [ 24 ]
I was really close, once 0.081081081081081 8.1% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 37 ]
< 1 2 3 >

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
so are you going to donate plasma to buy everything for your cat?

how are YOU? (not your parents YOU) paying for this new cat if they are supporting you?

Fluffy Bunny

Flutter Fox
I couldn't go behind anyones back to get a pet.

When I moved out I lived in a pet-free apartment for almost 3 years and I grew up with a ton of animals. I had thought about getting a pair of rats or even sneaking in a cat but in the end I didn't want to get kicked out of my place and lose the trust of my amazing land lady. Who helped get my new place because she vouched so heavily for us.

(and I totally fell in love with so many cats and dogs over those three years it was hard!)

oh man i couldn't live like that! Pet Friendly was requirement #1 for my housing. Proximity to school? ehhhh....
I salute your amazing willpower!

Fluffy Bunny

Keyona

how are YOU? (not your parents YOU) paying for this new cat if they are supporting you?

Plasma, duh. It's only for about 3 weeks. Then I take him back to my hometown and introduce him to the fam~
Not that he needs much "supporting", the initial adoption fee is the only thing posing a problem.

Fluffy Bunny

GravityPure
For the longest time my father would tell me not to get a dog. That he was afraid I wasn't ready. So every time I dog sat for a friend I'd send him a picture of the dog to give him a mini heart attack. The text was always immediately followed by a phone call.

He seemed completely for my adopting Kush, and loves when I bring him to hang out with his dogs.

I would wait it out. Talk with your parents seriously. Becoming financially independent would improve your odds of them accepting it. They maybe worried that if the going gets rough they may end up with another pet in the house.

Me? Give up an animal? That's hilarious. I'd take the two other cats up to my townhouse if my mother wasn't viciously fighting me over them. Becoming financially idependent is obviously great, but it's also like 6 years away and at that point, Thomas would've died of old age. Not to mention that if I dont get him this week, his time is basically up.

Anxious Werewolf

16,150 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • The Wolf Within 100
Nuclear Queen
Flutter Fox

When I moved out I lived in a pet-free apartment for almost 3 years and I grew up with a ton of animals. I had thought about getting a pair of rats or even sneaking in a cat but in the end I didn't want to get kicked out of my place and lose the trust of my amazing land lady. Who helped get my new place because she vouched so heavily for us.

(and I totally fell in love with so many cats and dogs over those three years it was hard!)

oh man i couldn't live like that! Pet Friendly was requirement #1 for my housing. Proximity to school? ehhhh....
We didn't have that much choice.
It was pretty hard to find a place we liked, in our budget, close to the skytrain, and preferably not get murdered!
We really lucked out and when we moved to our current location it was the right time to adopt.

User Image

Fluffy Bunny

Flutter Fox
Nuclear Queen
Flutter Fox

We didn't have that much choice.
It was pretty hard to find a place we liked, in our budget, close to the skytrain, and preferably not get murdered!
We really lucked out and when we moved to our current location it was the right time to adopt.

User Image

And the gorgeous babe in your sig makes it look like the wait was worth it ;D

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Nuclear Queen
Keyona

Plasma, duh. It's only for about 3 weeks. Then I take him back to my hometown and introduce him to the fam~
Not that he needs much "supporting", the initial adoption fee is the only thing posing a problem.

guessing you are feeding cheep kibble and doing the bare basics for the cat. Yep sounds like a great and loving home....

So what are you going to do with him if he doesn't get along with any of the other animals that your family has? Or instead of ignoring how selfish their child is your parents actually put their foot down on your disrespectful actions?

Anxious Werewolf

16,150 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • The Wolf Within 100
Nuclear Queen

Thank you! It was and I'm sure I would've been caught if I did sneak one in.

It was tough seeing all those pets on petfinder needing homes!

Fluffy Bunny

Keyona
Nuclear Queen
Keyona

guessing you are feeding cheep kibble and doing the bare basics for the cat. Yep sounds like a great and loving home....

So what are you going to do with him if he doesn't get along with any of the other animals that your family has? Or instead of ignoring how selfish their child is your parents actually put their foot down on your disrespectful actions?

Cheap kibble? Seriously? Try Simply Nourish Source. $16 a bag. Second best dry animal food money can buy.
umm let's see, according to the website he WILL get along with my animals (this is something you consider with every adoption process, duh) and if for some reason he doesn't, then the bully animals are separated.
You seem to be missing the point. My pets do not get /rejected/ by my parents. It's the /idea/ that gets rejected. Just show up with a pet one day and they cant say no~ otherwise it would just be cruel, bouncing a poor animal between a shelter and a fake home.

Also: I DO NOT LIVE WITH MY PARENTS OMFG. I live on my own! I have to go home in August for a few days to claim a few scholarships and go to banquets and s**t and then again in December for Christmas. Other than that, I'm on the other side of the state. With my pets.

Fluffy Bunny

Flutter Fox
Nuclear Queen

Thank you! It was and I'm sure I would've been caught if I did sneak one in.

It was tough seeing all those pets on petfinder needing homes!

Oh man that's the worst! I can't go on petfinder anymore. Or the animal section of craigslist. They're just so cute and sweet and my heart breaks just thinking about it. me+craigslist=gotta catch em all

I'm super lucky because my complex is like "EXTRA $200, PER MONTH, PER PET" but when we moved in, the business manager was like "pssh naw nobody pays that here. don' worry 'bout it"

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Nuclear Queen
Keyona
Nuclear Queen
Keyona

Cheap kibble? Seriously? Try Simply Nourish Source. $16 a bag. Second best dry animal food money can buy.
umm let's see, according to the website he WILL get along with my animals (this is something you consider with every adoption process, duh) and if for some reason he doesn't, then the bully animals are separated.
You seem to be missing the point. My pets do not get /rejected/ by my parents. It's the /idea/ that gets rejected. Just show up with a pet one day and they cant say no~ otherwise it would just be cruel, bouncing a poor animal between a shelter and a fake home.

Also: I DO NOT LIVE WITH MY PARENTS OMFG. I live on my own! I have to go home in August for a few days to claim a few scholarships and go to banquets and s**t and then again in December for Christmas. Other than that, I'm on the other side of the state. With my pets.

still has grain in it. so i wouldn't say that it is the "Second best".... maybe where grain in food is concern.

Also I understand you don't live with your parents. Once I started to SUPPORT myself (aka paying my rent, bills, food.... with out the help of mommy and daddy) I got my animals. I know have 25 or 26 in my house currently. 2 belong to my boyfriend, they are rabbits. 2-3 snakes i'm baby sitting until the end of next month. 5 are babies, and of that 5, 2 will be going to their new homes in august, and two more are looking for their new home because the woman that wanted them back out and wont get back in touch with me, but i'm pretty sure they have a home lined up with either a friend or my mother*. But I also do animal outreach programs with school where once it is all figured out my animals will be bringing in money to support themselves, and I will be raising my own food for 3-4 of my animals... if not 5 if i can get a starter colony of bugs.

*I was raised by my father, then my paternal grandmother, then a paternal aunt.... my mother has been out of my life for a good 20+ years... that is why she may take a pair of pups.

My aunt is completely against pets... thinks that i'm making a terrible life choice and I will scare away any chance of a husband (I have a boyfriend... it has been almost 3 years), and i will ruin my life. She told me that I had a couple of months before i graduated to find my cat a new home (this is while I was supporting myself), before I had to move back in with her.

The only time my guardians ever paid for my animals was with my first gerbils the only two that were EVER allowed in my aunt's house. I spent basically all of my vacation money on this little 10 dollar animal. After a short but brutel fight with cancer I decided that instead of letting my gerbil die at home (where it would of been infection, or bleeding to death...or both...) I would have him put to sleep... December 27, 2011. When I was leaving my aunt told me to use my credit card that they pay... and I only use for school. 75 dollars is all that has ever gone towards my animals from their money.

My animals get pet sitters while I'm out of town, sometimes if I'm expecting a litter, or if I'm gone for more than 5 days... my cat will come with me, along with the boyfriend's 2 rabbits, and any expecting mother/mother with pups I have so i can work with them. we stay at my boyfriend's father's house, and rabbits go to visit his mother for at least 2 nights because they are her grand bunnies and we get in trouble if we don't bring them, they do not however come with us to see my side of the family.

Great your family just gives into your disrespect for the animal's sake but you are a very disrespectful child.

850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Timid 100

Edit: Your replies remind me of a spoiled ten year old. Until you can afford your own car insurance, electricity, and rent I wouldn't go against your parents. That is rude and extremely disrespectful. You're being condescending to posters who are trying to give you sound advice, which is what you asked for.

Treating their replies with indignant insults is not going to illicit the best responses.

You say you live on your own, but who pays your rent? Do you have a vehicle? Who pays for the insurance and the cost of repairs or monthly payments? Who pays for your schooling, and who is paying for your groceries and extra expenses. If any of those answers are anyone but YOU it would be a terrible idea to disrespect your family.

They supply you with everything, the most you can do is focus on your pup you already have. Why not spend that extra adoption fee money on new toys for your pup? Or the time you spend browsing pet adoption sites, you could be taking them for walks and hanging out with them.

Magical Fatcat

10,050 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Generous 100
Nuclear Queen

Honestly, I can sit here and spout off about how I've done it so much and all that good jazz. I used to do it all the time. I'd find a cat on the street back in the day when I was in Middle-High school and bring it home. My parents always ALWAYS got mad at me. I don't blame them honestly. I'm really bad about spur of the moment decisions. Sadly, it has to do with manic bipolar crap. That's what my Dr said anyways.
But honestly, I don't think it's a good idea given my experience. I'd talk it out first. I talked to my mom about my first two. I told her I have a job to make sure they get the best of the best. I basically told her they would be my complete responsibility and I make sure I show it too. I take very good care of my cats. I think that might be why I haven't been kicked out yet. sweatdrop You wouldn't even know I had cats if you came to our house. You don't smell the litter box in my room much because I keep it clean. You smell the litter but not the poop. I make sure they have plenty of dry and soft food. They get baths every month, ear mite meds every month, two are being wormed atm because they are kinda new and are very small; one is just going to be a small kitty and the other needs to gain some weight; all of them are fixed, and I make sure they are healthy kitties. They have plenty of toys to play with and lots of room to run around. They are strictly inside cats as well. When my income taxes come in, I'm planning on getting them a huge cat condo/tree I've had my eye on this year. They're going to LOOOOOOVE it!

Inquisitive Rogue

15,525 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Firestarter 200
  • Threadmaster 200
Lying never ends well. Especially when you have no money to take care of it..

Shy Sex Symbol

I wouldn't do it. I value the relationship with my parents and their continued support. That being said I wanted rats and they said nuh uh no way. So I sat down, did some research shared it with them and they ended up letting me get rats! (keep in mind, I was 20ish and in college). I would try to have an honest conversation with them. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff