Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
New one was just passed.....

Clicky!

I think the dumbest part is one of the law supporters saying that it is needed for groomers.... Last I checked Groomers were really affected by Agricultural laws...and most dogs used in competitions that groomers do aren't exactly farm animals.....

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
I really do dislike the dying of chicks especially, because there's absolutely no point in it except to provide short-lived entertainment for little kids.

But on the same token, I believe in a minimum of legislature regarding what and how we keep our animals. Dyeing (chicks and other animals for the purpose of selling easier) isn't harmful, though unsavory, so I'm all for the ability -to- do it.

I really loathe the dyeing of fish however, because it IS harmful to them. Especially "blueberry" and "strawberry" Oscars...why would you do that to such an intelligent, sweet fish? =/

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
I don't care what people do to their own pets.... but I don't believe dying an animal should be used as a marketing ploy....which dying fish, and holiday "pets" is used as.

hell the Poodle that was dyed to support Canada... that was sweet looking, and you could see the dog didn't mind it and was having fun. These chicks, fish, and ducks really don't get to go "hey this isn't cool"

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Moth Feathers

hey moth,

I know Chicken chicks are born able to feed themselves but wouldn't it still be important for them to have those few weeks with their siblings/adult hens (really have no clue if the hens would be around in a hatchary) cause the bill lets people sell chicks before they are even a month old.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Keyona
Moth Feathers

hey moth,

I know Chicken chicks are born able to feed themselves but wouldn't it still be important for them to have those few weeks with their siblings/adult hens (really have no clue if the hens would be around in a hatchary) cause the bill lets people sell chicks before they are even a month old.

Personally? I think it's better. I think it's best for hens to incubate and raise their eggs. The chicks get the gut flora and immunities from staying with their mom, plus they seem to be less stressed (many poultry keepers have observed that 'pasty butt', where a chick gets their vent clogged with feces, doesn't occur nearly as much with hen-raised chicks versus mailordered chicks. though that may be because the hen-raised chicks didn't have to travel and undergo all the stress like mail ordered chicks). But yeah, the gut flora and immunities and stuff, that's big. There was a link I had about broilers and layers and stuff about their gut flora and probiotics and things like that...just have to find it in my 1,000+ bookmarks, argh.

EDIT:
Found it. Oh am I good.
Quote:
In the past, under natural breeding conditions, the chick/poult received a competitive flora of beneficial bacteria from the hen and from the environment. However, under modern breeding conditions, clean breeder and hatchery environments, as well as separation of the chicks from their parents, the establishment of the gut intestinal flora (bacteria) is delayed. This delay makes the chick/poult very susceptible to colonization of unwanted, transient bacteria that might be found in the litter, pen mates or contamination in feed or water.

Nurmi, the father of Competitive Exclusion drew attention to the conditions under which chicks are produced and reared. As mentioned, they have no contact with mother hen and are placed in clean and sanitized environments. This provides for little opportunity for growth of intestinal microflora. This deficiency, led Nurmi et al to the development of his or her own microflora that could be oral administered to the chick early in its life. In this way, an adult-type microflora was established and newly hatched chicks were protected from infection, that being, salmonella.

from Canadian poultry.

Yes, it is vastly better for chicks to be raised more naturally versus the now conventional way of gathering eggs, artificially incubating them and growing them without the chicks ever seeing a hint of another adult bird.
Though as the article suggests, they are developing probiotics, but all that expensive, time, and effort could have been saved if they just let the chicks frolic around with their moms.
I don't like the idea of using dye to sell an animal as a novelty item but I am glad for the law change. I remember reading a clipping not to long ago an owner was charged and fined when she was caught walking her dyed poodle in public. I hardly consider that a criminal act deserving of punishment.
They really shoulden't make it lawful to die animals. Imageine all the poor animals dipped in that horrible die. AND, When kids get their cute little "Easter" bunny, it wont take long to realize that bunnys aren't just a cute litttle thing that is immediately affectionate and dosent require work. Many don't realize the amount of work that goes into bunnys. They require pretty much the same as a dog or more! Rabbits are prey animals and are scared and it takes awhile to get them to trust you, WHICH could descurage children and parents. Makeing the sale of Easter bunnys higher is not a good idea. Plus, the dieing of animals is just cruel!

Devoted Inquisitor

I'm all for people being able to dye their dogs. There's lots of dog-safe dyes on the market that are fun.

Moth Feathers

Do they dye or tattoo the oscars?
O_o I've never seen a dyed animal before.
Farm animals are illegal to have in my town.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Latrans
I'm all for people being able to dye their dogs. There's lots of dog-safe dyes on the market that are fun.

I am to but... I don't really think pet owners and groomers fall under the agricultural laws....

I'm sure if I get a white poodle I will end up having moments of "That is cool" end up going to my friend who is a groomer and go "can you dye him this with this cut?"

User Image would be perfect for a day at the Ren. Fair XD

User Image this would also be perfect, though i don't think i would have the horns.

Devoted Inquisitor

Keyona
Latrans

I am to but... I don't really think pet owners and groomers fall under the agricultural laws....

I'm sure if I get a white poodle I will end up having moments of "That is cool" end up going to my friend who is a groomer and go "can you dye him this with this cut?"

User Image this would also be perfect, though i don't think i would have the horns.

Do you think the people saying they needed the law changed so they could dye dogs were lying?

Dogs do fall under agricultural laws in a lot of states, I don't know about FL.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Latrans

Moth Feathers

They dye them.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Latrans
Keyona
Latrans

Do you think the people saying they needed the law changed so they could dye dogs were lying?

Dogs do fall under agricultural laws in a lot of states, I don't know about FL.

It just seems fishy to me. since I'm sure it would be easier and more accepted if it still ban the sale of dyed animals, and just made it legal to dye your pet (either personally or going to a groomer.)

I guess I don't think about the dogs that would be getting dyed and stuff being agricultural.

Devoted Inquisitor

Moth Feathers
Latrans

Moth Feathers

They dye them.

Do you have a link to how that works?

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Latrans
Moth Feathers
Latrans

Moth Feathers

They dye them.

Do you have a link to how that works?

A couple, though most of them are forum posts and such, nothing particularly as trustworthy as a scientific article.
A post on Oscarfish, a good forum for oscar information, More info, but a little biased of course, and here

I found out about the dyeing of smolts (baby salmon) for tracking/counting purposes as well, but I'm not sure if it's the same process as tropical fish dyeing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff