Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Gekko

7,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Consumer 100
Well, I just walked in to our bedroom to pet my Meili, and I saw this peculiar brown spot on her face.
I picked it off, and what do ya know...it's a freakin flea gonk
She hasn't had fleas for nearly a year, and I have NO idea where she would have gotten them from.
And I've been looking on her a lot, looking through her fur for fleas, and I can't find any. This is the first one I've found.
That would explain the scabs on her neck.

Now here's the bad part....we don't have money to take her to the vet. I won't get a pay check for a month, as I will be starting a new job.

We don't have a bathtub so I can't bathe her and attempt to drown them, and I don't even have the money for pet shampoo...

I DO NOT TRUST OTC flea remedies, they made my cat itch worse, and they DID NOT help the fleas at all. I gave a popular name brand (can't think of the name) which also irritated her, and made the fleas jump OFF of her, into the carpet, and back onto her, so we were all getting bitten. I fixed the carpet issue with salt. I don't remember how I got rid of the fleas on her though.

So...is there ANYTHING I can do until I get paid? We've got.... 7 dollars to us, that's IT until I get paid gonk

I feel like such a horrible, horrible owner and I'm really beating myself up over this, I hate watching her suffer, and I know how much it hurts to get omnomed by fleas so I feel any worse.

Please, is there ANYTHING I can do for my baby?

Please don't come in here and b***h me out...I plan on putting money back for her from now on.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Get a flea comb. Should cost like, 50 cents last time I checked.
And brush her /as often as possible/ with it. At least multiple times a day. This is assuming she tolerates being combed.

And vacuum wherever she goes. If she wanders your entire house, then you better vacuum the /entire/ house. Vacuum at least once a day. I believe there is a 'flea powder' you can sprinkle on the carpet and then vacuum back up. Instead of the flea powder you can also use Diatomaceous Earth, or DE- it's microscopically sharp and literally impales the little fleas. Should be able to find it at a feed or farmer supply store.

I would also take the time to wash any bedding or fabrics that she likes to sleep on. Wash it in hot water to kill off the fleas. Wash it frequently.

Doing it this way will take longer and more effort from you, but it's worth it.

Sparkly Gekko

7,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Consumer 100
Moth Feathers
And brush her /as often as possible/ with it. At least multiple times a day. This is assuming she tolerates being combed.

And vacuum wherever she goes. If she wanders your entire house, then you better vacuum the /entire/ house. Vacuum at least once a day. I believe there is a 'flea powder' you can sprinkle on the carpet and then vacuum back up. Instead of the flea powder you can also use Diatomaceous Earth, or DE- it's microscopically sharp and literally impales the little fleas. Should be able to find it at a feed or farmer supply store.

I would also take the time to wash any bedding or fabrics that she likes to sleep on. Wash it in hot water to kill off the fleas. Wash it frequently.

You're very helpful, thank you so much.

Well, the only thing that sucks about the laundry is that we have to go to a family member's house to do it, the apartment building has the appliances, but of course the ones you have to pay for.

I'll see if any of the stores around here have a flea comb, she's not too picky about it.

well, she goes everywhere, so I suppose I'll become good friends with the vacuum haha

Sadly, I don't know where to get those powders, we've got dollar stores, Rite-aid. No wal-mart, petco, or even a pet store :/

Invisible Citizen

User Image

I know you only have $7 but there are some cheaper ferret shampoos that kill fleas. o.o
The shampoo I have is $6.99 for a big bottle and my ferret had a terrible case of fleas.
After a few washes and cleaning her cage out she hasn't had them back.
If you need that money for something else though it may be worth looking into for the future in case it happens again.
As for where it came from it could have jumped on your clothes while out (maybe petting other animals) then jumped into your house. o:

User Image

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Sae Insanity 45
Moth Feathers

Well, the only thing that sucks about the laundry is that we have to go to a family member's house to do it, the apartment building has the appliances, but of course the ones you have to pay for.

I'll see if any of the stores around here have a flea comb, she's not too picky about it.

well, she goes everywhere, so I suppose I'll become good friends with the vacuum haha

Sadly, I don't know where to get those powders, we've got dollar stores, Rite-aid. No wal-mart, petco, or even a pet store :/

You must /really/ live out in the boondocks if you don't have a Walmart. xD Not much advice there, since it seems like a lot of things you can't access. Just..vacuum lots, especially where she sleeps and hangs out, and comb her with the flea comb as frequently as possible.

If you've ever had lice and decided not to use any products, it's pretty much the same thing- with lice you just comb comb comb, wash wash wash your clothes and bedding- fleas are the exact same way.

Oh, and you can use a lice comb instead of a flea comb, if you can find those. Works just as well.

Sparkly Gekko

7,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Consumer 100
Prince Charmant
User Image

I know you only have $7 but there are some cheaper ferret shampoos that kill fleas. o.o
The shampoo I have is $6.99 for a big bottle and my ferret had a terrible case of fleas.
After a few washes and cleaning her cage out she hasn't had them back.
If you need that money for something else though it may be worth looking into for the future in case it happens again.
As for where it came from it could have jumped on your clothes while out (maybe petting other animals) then jumped into your house. o:

User Image

Well, not only that but we don't have a bathtub, just a shower.

Invisible Citizen

Sae Insanity 45

Oh. :c Well hopefully you're able to get rid of them. D;
All I can suggest is shampoos, combing a lot or Advantage which is fairly expensive and I've heard sometimes it doesn't work.

Sparkly Gekko

7,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Consumer 100
Moth Feathers
Sae Insanity 45
Moth Feathers

You must /really/ live out in the boondocks if you don't have a Walmart. xD Not much advice there, since it seems like a lot of things you can't access. Just..vacuum lots, especially where she sleeps and hangs out, and comb her with the flea comb as frequently as possible.

If you've ever had lice and decided not to use any products, it's pretty much the same thing- with lice you just comb comb comb, wash wash wash your clothes and bedding- fleas are the exact same way.

Oh, and you can use a lice comb instead of a flea comb, if you can find those. Works just as well.

Oh yeah, we sure do haha. People are always like "well do this or that" and it's like.... I can't! gonk
Never had it, so that's not an option, but if I can't find a flea comb, I'll look for a lice one.

I read somewhere to comb through the fur, then dip it in soapy water to drown them, correct?

Sparkly Gekko

7,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Consumer 100
Prince Charmant
Sae Insanity 45

Oh. :c Well hopefully you're able to get rid of them. D;
All I can suggest is shampoos, combing a lot or Advantage which is fairly expensive and I've heard sometimes it doesn't work.

THAT, that is EXACTLY what made teh fleas jump off of Meili and start biting us, and then proceed to bite her some more. It was horrible.
I"ve found that salt gets them out of carpet.

Invisible Citizen

Sae Insanity 45
THAT, that is EXACTLY what made teh fleas jump off of Meili and start biting us, and then proceed to bite her some more. It was horrible.
I"ve found that salt gets them out of carpet.

Oh. o.o Well it's worked for me in the past. Before when my dogs had fleas I'd have them jumping onto me even before the product was on.
I just heard that some fleas have become resistant to it.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Sae Insanity 45
Moth Feathers
Sae Insanity 45
Moth Feathers

Oh yeah, we sure do haha. People are always like "well do this or that" and it's like.... I can't! gonk
Never had it, so that's not an option, but if I can't find a flea comb, I'll look for a lice one.

I read somewhere to comb through the fur, then dip it in soapy water to drown them, correct?

Yep, that's what you do, just comb through and drown the fleas. They're super irritating to kill any other way.

Also, as you comb, look for 'flea dirt'. It's little black specks- the flea's feces. Anyway, it's a good indicator of the presence of fleas, so in the future you can notice if there's an outbreak or not before she starts getting scabs.

Sparkly Gekko

7,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Consumer 100
Moth Feathers
Sae Insanity 45
Moth Feathers
Sae Insanity 45
Moth Feathers

Yep, that's what you do, just comb through and drown the fleas. They're super irritating to kill any other way.

Also, as you comb, look for 'flea dirt'. It's little black specks- the flea's feces. Anyway, it's a good indicator of the presence of fleas, so in the future you can notice if there's an outbreak or not before she starts getting scabs.

Well, I have been looking, and I couldn't/can't find ANYTHING, no dirt, and no fleas except for the one I picked off of her earlier. if I do happen to find any, I pick them off and rinse them down the sink. Don't know if it's gross, but it's what I do.
I'll look again, though.
Fleas suck

Sparkly Gekko

7,225 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Get a bottle of the blue Dawn Dishsoap and bathe her in the kitchen sink or bathroom sink. i then get a dish of soapy water and work on them with a flea comb and i put whatever fleas i find in the soapy water and they drown fast.
If you have the option to bathe at all, like in a kitchen sink for instance, use dawn dish soap. Leave that on a minute or two and it usually kills the fleas, of course rinse it off, and it's cheaper than flea shampoo.

Sparkly Gekko

7,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Consumer 100
ladycrotalus
Get a bottle of the blue Dawn Dishsoap and bathe her in the kitchen sink or bathroom sink. i then get a dish of soapy water and work on them with a flea comb and i put whatever fleas i find in the soapy water and they drown fast.

I only have the orange dawn gonk

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces