Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Girl

The neighbors left for four and a half days and told us to feed the dogs for 2 days. They left bread day, thinking it would be okay.

Out of kindness, I bought doggy cheese cream and a largest size 'fresh pet select' sausage to make little sandwiches. We also used peanut butter. The owners tell us they do not wish to clean up too much poop when they get home, so we should only feed them 2 days. We actually left the entire stash of bread on Monday for them (enough to last them 2 days). Now it is Wednesday and we ran out of good bread. The remaining bread is rock solid and not edible. I do not wish to spend any more money on animals that are not mine (I have already spend 20 they're big dogs, seriously). We still have half of the sausage left, but it's not enough for both dogs for 2 more days.

I've given up and left the deed of feeding these dogs for today until tomorrow.
My mom has that deed (she's rummaging the house to find scraps, some of which may not be okay). What would you do in this situation?

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
If they only feed their dogs bread i would call animal contol on them for neglect
Exactly what Shanna66 said.

The owner's are down-right neglecting their dogs. Dogs should not eat bread and need to eat every day. Would you be okay only eating 2 days out of 4? No? Same goes for the dogs. This is all common sense. Call animal control and tell them that your neighbors left their dogs and only instructed you to feed them bread for 2 our of 4 days. Animal control will come out and either seize the dogs right then and there, or they will at least give you some dog food to feed the dogs a proper meal.

And if it were me, I would have gone and bought a bag of dog food for the dogs before buying spray cheese and sausage. But that is just me. But you should call Animal Control at the very least and report the owner's.

Eternal Dragon

First of all, I don't know why have you even agreed to take care of them... It's their pets, their responsibility. And since they are dogs, which needs everyday care, then it's more problem.
I don't know on what terms is your family with those neighbors, but next time just decline politely.

As for the current situation... Well, if it was me, I would have went and bought food for them. I ain't gonna leave them starving of course! And then call Animal Control. (though this thing here in my country isn't an option, but whatever...) And I would have had a serious talk with that particular neighbor.

But that's just me. Every situation is different. For example, the neighbors next door (we are living in an apartment) also have a dog. I know they are taking good care of it and so far they haven't asked us to look after it, but if do they ever, I will care it really good too. smile

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
I would call animal control...

...bread...? Wtf?

Feline Bookworm

I would definitely call animal control. You don't feed dogs bread or sandwiches!
They need dog food or meat. It's cruel to leave them inside for four days without a walk or a poop/
wee break, too. It's not your responsibility to do anything other than call the animal control on them
and have them sort it out. For the dogs sake, you should do it.

Aged Girl

They feed the dogs dry Pedigree kibble on a regular basis.

My mom initially agreed, then I was convinced to do it, then I realized juuuuust which food was left on the day we were supposed to begin feeding them.

The fresh pet sausages were the best brands available at Walmart and it is easier to carry than a bag. smile

I gave each dog a 1.5 pound serving on the last day, then the owners were supposed to arrive today and feed them regularly.

I'll pass on the advice to the owners once we see them again.

Edgiest Knife

43,715 Points
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • The Edgiest 250
If the dogs are already eating a dry food every day, they should eat that food every day even if the owners are out of town. Switching them to something completely different is just going to upset the dogs' digestive systems and produce an even bigger mess.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Nurse Kipsie
They feed the dogs dry Pedigree kibble on a regular basis.

My mom initially agreed, then I was convinced to do it, then I realized juuuuust which food was left on the day we were supposed to begin feeding them.

The fresh pet sausages were the best brands available at Walmart and it is easier to carry than a bag. smile

I gave each dog a 1.5 pound serving on the last day, then the owners were supposed to arrive today and feed them regularly.

I'll pass on the advice to the owners once we see them again.

ok but still, giving them only enough bread for 2 days when they will be gone for 4 still counts as abuse.

if it was me i would still report them. worse case animal control comes and talks to them. they wont get their dogs taken away or charged over just this if thats what you are worried about.

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

ok so I been around this type of thing before
it's just ignorant country people
i'm guessing the dogs live outside
are they chained? if they aren't chained they'll probably go find something to eat themselves or roadkill or whatever they can catch.
dogs can fast for a couple days but the owners went a little extreme with the neglect.
and only left bread, but some people feed their dogs on scraps only, whatyagonna do

Aged Girl

Erin puppy
ok so I been around this type of thing before
it's just ignorant country people
i'm guessing the dogs live outside
are they chained? if they aren't chained they'll probably go find something to eat themselves or roadkill or whatever they can catch.
dogs can fast for a couple days but the owners went a little extreme with the neglect.
and only left bread, but some people feed their dogs on scraps only, whatyagonna do

The dogs live outdoors but with shelter, and they are not chained. smile they can run around and such. They're from the Caribbean so, yes, the dogs must be kept outdoors for them.

Dapper Explorer

Eien Ryuu
First of all, I don't know why have you even agreed to take care of them... It's their pets, their responsibility. And since they are dogs, which needs everyday care, then it's more problem.
I don't know on what terms is your family with those neighbors, but next time just decline politely.

As for the current situation... Well, if it was me, I would have went and bought food for them. I ain't gonna leave them starving of course! And then call Animal Control. (though this thing here in my country isn't an option, but whatever...) And I would have had a serious talk with that particular neighbor.

But that's just me. Every situation is different. For example, the neighbors next door (we are living in an apartment) also have a dog. I know they are taking good care of it and so far they haven't asked us to look after it, but if do they ever, I will care it really good too. smile

Just want to point out here that pet sitting is a thing. I've known several people who've had others pet-sit their pets whenever they're away for a few to a couple of days. Pets are the owner's responsibility, yes, but if they're going to be away and can't bring their pet(s) with them, they can get someone to pet sit their pet(s) until they return home.

Demonic Ladykiller

12,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Call animal control. Hell I'm about to also. My neighbor has 2 puppies out which are very under weight and starving, they always visit to get food from my home, they look like skeletons. Plus they have 4 grown pit bulls just wandering the neighborhood causing chaos and tipping garbage cans all the time.

And I think bread is bad for dogs, I have heard about it a lot. Either way, neglect.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff