Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rainbow Exhibitionist

9,200 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Clambake 200
I actually live in your area, but I don't have a freezer, so I haven't been able to experiment with raw yet. =p I wan't to buy whole mice for weekly, but I doubt my roommates would take kindly to seeing that in the house freezer. X.x
Have you tried any of the Asian or Mexican markets? Walmart or Costco might be good things to try too.
Let me know if you find any good deals, I'd love to have the heads up for when I switch Jonsey over.
Edit: I should read things. @,@ Good luck with the new kibble, and keep us posted on how she's feeling. Poor thing.

Devoted Inquisitor

dark eclipse
I actually live in your area, but I don't have a freezer, so I haven't been able to experiment with raw yet. =p I wan't to buy whole mice for weekly, but I doubt my roommates would take kindly to seeing that in the house freezer. X.x
Have you tried any of the Asian or Mexican markets? Walmart or Costco might be good things to try too.
Let me know if you find any good deals, I'd love to have the heads up for when I switch Jonsey over.
Edit: I should read things. @,@ Good luck with the new kibble, and keep us posted on how she's feeling. Poor thing.

I was going to try the carnicerias, because my boyfriend has connections. lol

So far the new kibble is, she says, the best evahh. Her poops are looking AWESOME, so I think I'm going to keep switching her over.

The new kibble has more carbs than the old one, and I'm actually hoping she'll put on more weight because of that.

Rainbow Exhibitionist

9,200 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Clambake 200
Latrans
dark eclipse

So far the new kibble is, she says, the best evahh. Her poops are looking AWESOME, so I think I'm going to keep switching her over.

The new kibble has more carbs than the old one, and I'm actually hoping she'll put on more weight because of that.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have some extra weight on her just in case she gets sick again. =]

I'm glad she's tolerating the kibble, and I hope things continue to go well. She's a gorgeous girl, it must be sad to see her not feeling well.

It's cool that you guys are some where near me, maybe I'll see you sometime. ;-]

Devoted Inquisitor

dark eclipse
Latrans
dark eclipse

Yeah, it'd be nice to have some extra weight on her just in case she gets sick again. =]

I'm glad she's tolerating the kibble, and I hope things continue to go well. She's a gorgeous girl, it must be sad to see her not feeling well.

It's cool that you guys are some where near me, maybe I'll see you sometime. ;-]

Not sad. Scary and frustrating. mad She gets the hungry pukes, doesn't feel well, and then won't eat. Enraging.

This morning, though, we played hard in the yard, and she's in fine spirits. I'm going to have her swim 2-3 times a week to build muscle, as well as bike, hike, play and run. She really is a good dog.

I'll PM you about the location thing. 4laugh
Hope Elise gets better.
Was it Diamond brand kibble? They had a very big recall.

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

I can't offer much advice for cheap meat at the supermarket because I usually just go with the lowest I can find, whatever it may be, because feeding a small dog is still inexpensive that way.

but will share the link to S.A.D. Dog Sushi
http://www.saddogsushi.com/
they are located in Austin, TX, but they ship nationwide:
"*We offer shipping nationwide. Prices vary depending on location. Dry ice fees apply for all non-Texas orders."
They have decent prices for their services, but they also have 10/lb ground bulk patties that are prey model balanced and complete for just 1.99/lb. they come in beef, pork, turkey, chicken, and mixed. It's the best deal I could find. The only downside is that it is ground. But if you have the space, it's good to feed, and then just give RMBs everyweek for teeth in such like you are already doing.
Poor Elsie. sad

It is so so so frustrating when people feed your dog after having been specifically told not to...we went through a really bad patch where my parents decided that Rushie was 'sick and starving' and decided to 'fatten' her on GoodO's kibble. gonk They fed her an entire bag over a week or so and she got fat and smelly and greasy and dandruffy. stressed And she was drinking heaps of water all the time. The only thing that put a stop to it was moving out, it was so stressful.

My grandpa is bad about it also. Rushie stayed with them whilst I was away on prac and over fed her terribly. Gave her three days worth of food in one meal [!!!] and then filled her up on canned dog food for the next two days. Oh and she went from having one meal a day and a snack to having breakfast, morning tea, lunch, dinner and numerous snacks. It wasn't good. sad

I'm really glad Elsie managed to pass the rawhide without more serious complications and sorry that folks aren't listening to you and are feeding her extra stuff. It isn't fun at all. Hopefully her new food continues to suit her. smile

Devoted Inquisitor

Skeksis
Poor Elsie. sad

It is so so so frustrating when people feed your dog after having been specifically told not to...we went through a really bad patch where my parents decided that Rushie was 'sick and starving' and decided to 'fatten' her on GoodO's kibble. gonk They fed her an entire bag over a week or so and she got fat and smelly and greasy and dandruffy. stressed And she was drinking heaps of water all the time. The only thing that put a stop to it was moving out, it was so stressful.

My grandpa is bad about it also. Rushie stayed with them whilst I was away on prac and over fed her terribly. Gave her three days worth of food in one meal [!!!] and then filled her up on canned dog food for the next two days. Oh and she went from having one meal a day and a snack to having breakfast, morning tea, lunch, dinner and numerous snacks. It wasn't good. sad

I'm really glad Elsie managed to pass the rawhide without more serious complications and sorry that folks aren't listening to you and are feeding her extra stuff. It isn't fun at all. Hopefully her new food continues to suit her. smile

Luckily, she doesn't live with my dad. I'm so mad though.

I think his problem is like your family's--Elsie is SO skinny.

User Image

But she does have muscle;

User Image
User Image

She just hasn't filled out yet.

It must be even worse with Rushie, poor thing.

She really seems to be doing very well on the new food. It's more carb heavy than her old food, and honestly, she has a lot more energy, and her stools are much, much better.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
What is the new food? Just wondering.

Devoted Inquisitor

Moth Feathers
What is the new food? Just wondering.

Natural Balance, limited ingredient diet, duck and potato. It's not a food I would have chosen on my own, but my breeder has had really good luck with Elsie's littermate (who also has some food issues) and with Elsie's dam (who doesn't have the issues that the other puppy has, but who does do better on some foods than others) on this food.
Latrans
Skeksis
Poor Elsie. sad

Luckily, she doesn't live with my dad. I'm so mad though.

I think his problem is like your family's--Elsie is SO skinny.

User Image

But she does have muscle;

User Image
User Image

She just hasn't filled out yet.

It must be even worse with Rushie, poor thing.

She really seems to be doing very well on the new food. It's more carb heavy than her old food, and honestly, she has a lot more energy, and her stools are much, much better.

Elsie looks wonderful! I think she's in great condition. smile I can see how non-doggy people might think otherwise, though, and yeah we get the judgement eyes whenever my family visits...there's no fluff to hide her ribs. She does get complimented by other sighthound owners, though. Elsie definitely has fluff on her side, at least!

If you do a lot of endurance type exercise with Elsie [like biking and hiking. We have just started biking and omg it is SO much fun!] then you might find it hard to get her to bulk up with muscle, though she will certainly be in good hard condition. If you want to put more bulk on her try short sessions of sprint type activities; a flat out sprint over 100 meters or a ten minute session on a flirt pole a few times a week. A rest day is really important too. smile Swimming can go either way; long sessions of slow swimming will promote development of slow twitch muscle fibres and shorter sessions of exertive swimming [like retrieving a high value toy] will promote fast twitch muscle fibres.
Sorry, you probably already know that stuff. sweatdrop If so then sorry, I don't mean to tell you what you already know. But if you didn't then the type of exercise will really determine whether or not she has flatter or bulkier muscles; I have been to either extreme with Rushie when trying to find her ideal and when we did more endurance type activities she definitely had a flatter, leaner appearance than when we were only doing sprint stuff. Elsie looks totally fabulous as though she does more endurance work than sprint activities.

[/ramblerambleramble]

Devoted Inquisitor

Skeksis

Elsie looks wonderful! I think she's in great condition. smile I can see how non-doggy people might think otherwise, though, and yeah we get the judgement eyes whenever my family visits...there's no fluff to hide her ribs. She does get complimented by other sighthound owners, though. Elsie definitely has fluff on her side, at least!

If you do a lot of endurance type exercise with Elsie [like biking and hiking. We have just started biking and omg it is SO much fun!] then you might find it hard to get her to bulk up with muscle, though she will certainly be in good hard condition. If you want to put more bulk on her try short sessions of sprint type activities; a flat out sprint over 100 meters or a ten minute session on a flirt pole a few times a week. A rest day is really important too. smile Swimming can go either way; long sessions of slow swimming will promote development of slow twitch muscle fibres and shorter sessions of exertive swimming [like retrieving a high value toy] will promote fast twitch muscle fibres.
Sorry, you probably already know that stuff. sweatdrop If so then sorry, I don't mean to tell you what you already know. But if you didn't then the type of exercise will really determine whether or not she has flatter or bulkier muscles; I have been to either extreme with Rushie when trying to find her ideal and when we did more endurance type activities she definitely had a flatter, leaner appearance than when we were only doing sprint stuff. Elsie looks totally fabulous as though she does more endurance work than sprint activities.

[/ramblerambleramble]

No, don't be sorry. I did already know that, but I still appreciate it. whee Biking is awesome, right? Elsie's so good, she almost never pulls. <3

We try to do a mix of activities, because I want her to have good wind and pretty muscles. So we do lots of distance stuff, but then when we hike, for example, it's usually in hilly, scrambly areas, so she's having to pull herself up and do weird things, and we do a lot (a lot!) of fetch, which with Elsie means lots of full speed sprinting, and in our back yard, it's up the hill. Swimming, we mostly do the second type (which I love because she then has to use her arms to haul herself out of the pool sopping wet, which is hard), but come summer we'll be doing distance swimming. That's the theory anyway; I'm going to be trying to increase the amount of sprint-ey stuff, because I do want her to gain weight (muscle).

But yeah, we do more endurance work, because I'm on a heart medicine, which means that when I exercise with her, it's at a pretty moderate pace. Her legs are like rocks, though.

And yeah, that's why I'm glad I got a coated skinny dog who hates strangers, lol. Literally no one in public can tell how thin she is.
Latrans

Kirby does better on a more carb heavy kibble too. When I first started out with him everyone on any food forums I visited was all protein, protein, protein, so I ended up trying out a lot of the higher end ones in that spectrum. He has a led belly so no vomiting but despite how long we gave it and which ones we tried his stools always seemed a touch loose not to mention he could be rather gassy. emotion_puke

I found the more middle of the road foods suited him better when it came to protein levels.

Devoted Inquisitor

Krissim Klaw
Latrans

Kirby does better on a more carb heavy kibble too. When I first started out with him everyone on any food forums I visited was all protein, protein, protein, so I ended up trying out a lot of the higher end ones in that spectrum. He has a led belly so no vomiting but despite how long we gave it and which ones we tried his stools always seemed a touch loose not to mention he could be rather gassy. emotion_puke

I found the more middle of the road foods suited him better when it came to protein levels.

Yeah, and Zobby does much better on a higher protein kibble. So despite my posturing, I'm going to be one of those houses that feeds two kibbles. lol Oh well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff