Welcome to Gaia! ::

I have been thinking about expanding my horizons from furry creatures to reptiles and amphibians. I was told Veiled Chameleons weren't too hard, and Bearded Dragons ( I have a friend who owns both and they recommended that). What are some other reptiles/amphibians that would be good for a beginniner?

Snakes aren't option. I would LOVE to have one, but my husband won't allow it and isn't budging on this, but everything else is fine

CarapaxtotheMax's Partner

Dapper Sex Symbol

I don't consider chameleons of any sort to be a good beginner pet. Not saying it can't be done with the proper research, but as far as I know they're very delicate and difficult to keep healthy (they have very specific needs, as far as I've heard).

Bearded dragons make good beginner reptiles, though, as do leopard geckos. c: I'm sure others will have even more suggestions. I have more experience with snakes, so I can only help so much here. xD; Good luck!
Oh my god whoever told you that chameleons were "not too hard" needs to be taken out and beaten. Chams are not for the beginner and not for anyone who's not willing to put out a ton of effort for an animal that may very well die because you looked at it funny despite all your hard work and money.

I would consider a leopard or african fat tail gecko! I love fatties, they're super cute and have very similar care to leos (but I wouldn't house them together!) Geckos are pretty fun creatures, all in all.

Shame that you can't do any snakes. I find most snakes easier than lizards.

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

the only easy reptilian/amphibious creature I can think of would be a toad or frog

next level, lizards, turtles

then the exotic stuff like chameleons

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
leopard geckos, fat tail geckos, bearded dragons, viper geckos, panther geckos, crested geckos, gargoyle geckos, fire belly toads, pacman frogs, whites tree frogs, and japanese and chinese fire belly newts

those are all the herps that come to mind at the moment that are pretty easy to care for.
JaziSnake
Oh my god whoever told you that chameleons were "not too hard" needs to be taken out and beaten. Chams are not for the beginner and not for anyone who's not willing to put out a ton of effort for an animal that may very well die because you looked at it funny despite all your hard work and money.

I would consider a leopard or african fat tail gecko! I love fatties, they're super cute and have very similar care to leos (but I wouldn't house them together!) Geckos are pretty fun creatures, all in all.

Shame that you can't do any snakes. I find most snakes easier than lizards.

Her and her fiance have kept nothing but reptiles for years, so for her, it probably was easy and figured I could do it as well. I'm pretty attentive to animals and she's offered to give me help and advice when I finally do get something to make sure I get the right supplies, ect.

Would I be able to keep two of the same species (and sex, I don't want babies lol) together, or is that a bad idea?

Yea, I've had my heart set on owning some sort of snake since I was little. I haven't given up. I keep hoping the right snake will cross our path and my husband will be okay with it. I'm not wanting him to like the animal, I just want him to approve just enough that he won't wig out on me, haha.

It's a real shame as I came across a gorgeous rat snake I would have LOVE to have.
Shanna66
leopard geckos, fat tail geckos, bearded dragons, viper geckos, panther geckos, crested geckos, gargoyle geckos, fire belly toads, pacman frogs, whites tree frogs, and japanese and chinese fire belly newts

those are all the herps that come to mind at the moment that are pretty easy to care for.

That's a bigger list than I was expecting! I'mma take this and hit Google up and do a bunch of reading on them all. Thank you c:

Devoted Inquisitor

If you could convince your husband, corn snakes are super duper easy and sweet and they come in a billion colors.
Latrans
If you could convince your husband, corn snakes are super duper easy and sweet and they come in a billion colors.

Working on that, lol. He's standing strong, but I see him think about changing his mind when he is around his friend's snakes. He claims to have a phobia, but he will happily hold and be around them at other people's houses, so, hoping with exposure he will eventually allow one.

Devoted Inquisitor

RCJ remixed
Latrans

Working on that, lol. He's standing strong, but I see him think about changing his mind when he is around his friend's snakes. He claims to have a phobia, but he will happily hold and be around them at other people's houses, so, hoping with exposure he will eventually allow one.

My boyfriend hates the feeding because he loves mice; could that be part of the problem?
Latrans
RCJ remixed
Latrans

My boyfriend hates the feeding because he loves mice; could that be part of the problem?

That could be, and it isn't an issue I've talked to him about. Might bring that up and see if that is it rather than just a fear of the snake itself.

Devoted Inquisitor

RCJ remixed
Latrans
RCJ remixed
Latrans

That could be, and it isn't an issue I've talked to him about. Might bring that up and see if that is it rather than just a fear of the snake itself.

My snake won't transition over to dead mice, too, so they have to be live. It kinda sucks.
Latrans

My snake won't transition over to dead mice, too, so they have to be live. It kinda sucks.

I think I would rather have them on live food if possible, and wouldn't mind putting in the effort to make breeding bins for a a single breeding pair of rats to have. Wouldn't giving away extras, either. I mean, I love animals. I love rats and mice, just the idea of them being food isn't scary or gross, either. Just the circle of life.

Devoted Inquisitor

RCJ remixed
Latrans

I think I would rather have them on live food if possible, and wouldn't mind putting in the effort to make breeding bins for a a single breeding pair of rats to have. Wouldn't giving away extras, either. I mean, I love animals. I love rats and mice, just the idea of them being food isn't scary or gross, either. Just the circle of life.

Live is way less humane; it's scary for the mouse, and that sucks, and they can fight back and hurt the snake. :[ If I could transition I would. Silly snake.
Latrans

Live is way less humane; it's scary for the mouse, and that sucks, and they can fight back and hurt the snake. :[ If I could transition I would. Silly snake.

I agree, it is, but handling something already dead just creeps me out big time. I couldn't store them in the fridge/freezer either. I would never eat lol

I always assumed live feeding would be easiest, but I am seeing more and more about snakes that won't take to it. Kind of interesting.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff