Welcome to Gaia! ::

..and that means pet stores are stocking up with "Easter Bunnies". Many families can't resist these sweet little pets for their young children, but all too often are not prepared for the long term commitment. Typically the novelty wears off and the rabbits are dumped at a shelter, or worse, set free in the woods. You should carefully consider whether a live rabbit is right for you and your family, and if not, to opt for a stuffed toy bunny for your child to cuddle instead.

Contrary to popular belief, rabbits do not make particularly good pets for children. Pet rabbits are domesticated prey animals who are highly sensitive to their environment. The natural curiosity and energy level of young children can create too much stress for most rabbits. Also, children often prefer a pet they can hold, cuddle and play with, while rabbits rarely tolerate being carried around and do not play interactively. This often leads to the rabbit being labeled as "boring" and left alone in her cage day after day. As sociable, inquisitive animals, rabbits require several hours of play time every day for their well being where they can interact with their human friends without high noise or stress levels.

Young children can be dangerous to rabbits. Rabbits have fragile spines that can break if they are dropped by a child. Often, rabbits are seen with broken spines and legs from children playing with them- even very gentle children don't have sufficient eye-hand coordination to handle a rabbit. A frightened rabbit can also kick and scratch, injuring a child or adult who does not handle him properly.

Each year after Easter at my shelter, we also receive many phone calls from people who purchased a bunny who died within days or weeks. Sadly, some pet stores sell rabbits as young as 4 weeks old. Since the babies don't wean until 6-7 weeks old, their digestive tracts have not properly formed. This can lead to diarrhea, other gastrointestinal problems, and sometimes death. Raising baby rabbits requires specialized care and diet, so babies should not be separated from their mothers and siblings until they are 8 weeks old.

If you think that rabbits are a good "starter" pet for your child, please think again. Rabbits are as much work as a dog or cat. They require fresh vegetables and pellets at least twice a day, cleaning of litter boxes, daily changes of water bottles, supervision when playing, fresh hay and visits to the veterinarian. They should be spayed or neutered. Just like other pets, they can also be destructive, chewing on furniture, baseboards and wires. While rabbits use a litter box fairly reliably, they will occasionally have accidents and, if not spayed or neutered, may spray or "mark territory" with urine or droppings.

Rabbits can make wonderful pets for the right home, but it is important that you understand what you are getting into first. You need to be ready to make a 7-10 year commitment, as that's the expected lifespan of an indoor rabbit.

I sincerely hope that your bunny will be made of chocolate this Easter. emotion_bigheart

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Same with baby chicks! Yeah, they're cute now, but they are a lot of work and they do grow up. Animals are for life. Never get a pet you aren't prepared for and can't take care of. They aren't toys. If you want to get something cute for your kid, get them a plush toy, not a real animal.

6,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
I talked a coworker out of getting a bunny for her kids this Easter. She came in all excited, telling me about her plan, and I ruined it. rofl Told her about how mine ripped up carpet and chewed through unsecured wires and suddenly rabbits weren't such an appealing pet.

Devoted Inquisitor

Now is not the time for be to get a rabbit, but I had one as a kid and would love to have one again.

Long-lived mammals aren't going to be joining us right now, though; we might be moving in the nearish future.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Yeah, about a week to a month after easter I may just put up an add to take unwanted rabbits and chicks and the like. Free dog food, right?

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Great post. I like it a lot. Thinking about making a similar post about turtles and "turtle lagoons."

Bara Doge's Queen

Omnipresent Senshi

Payton Leeroy
Yeah, about a week to a month after easter I may just put up an add to take unwanted rabbits and chicks and the like. Free dog food, right?

Haha so clever XDDDDDD!!!!

No.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Conservative Capitalist

10,725 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Olympian 200
Payton Leeroy

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

They may be better off being dog food than being "cared for" by some of the people who get "easter bunnies" D:

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Payton Leeroy

oh my god you would love where i work. whenever we have a small mammal surrendered to us everyone comes and finds me and asks if i want to take it home for free as snake food

im not looking forward to having crates full of bunnies dropped off in our parking lot next month. we have got no room. if we get too many i am going to take some home to use as pet food. better that just being euthed and wasting all that good meat
Pft, bunnies, chicks, and ducks for Easter are so 2013. Everyone knows praying mantises are where it is at. They are even small enough to hide in Easter eggs. emotion_dowant

Edgiest Knife

43,615 Points
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • The Edgiest 250
Krissim Klaw
Pft, bunnies, chicks, and ducks for Easter are so 2013. Everyone knows praying mantises are where it is at. They are even small enough to hide in Easter eggs. emotion_dowant

You've just given me the best worst idea ever.
Friday_Dora
Krissim Klaw

If mantises are involved I say go for it. emotion_dealwithit

Eloquent Gawker

Payton Leeroy

This is freakin' genius! I may have to do this. smile

Edgiest Knife

43,615 Points
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • The Edgiest 250
Krissim Klaw
Friday_Dora
Krissim Klaw

Mantises, no. Tarantula exuviae, yes.
Friday_Dora
Krissim Klaw
Friday_Dora
Krissim Klaw

Mantises, no. Tarantula exuviae, yes.
I'm jelly. One day I will have the love of many spider legs.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff