Welcome to Gaia! ::

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

I have used a regular nail file on Cookie's nails for a while now, but it takes a long time and I'd like something that works a little faster and takes off a little more in less amount of time so I can work on receding the quick in her nails.

but I don't know what's the best brand to buy. I don't want to spend too munch money.

Cookie is a very small dog.

anybody can recommend me something?

Devoted Inquisitor

I have the dremel brand one with a paw on it. I got it on amazon for like $30, and it's awesome. It has a rechargeable battery, and two speeds. It came with a bunch of replacement tips, and works really well. I've had it about a year.

Eloquent Gawker

I use a Dremel brand from the hardware store. smile They work better than the "pet" dremels, and are generally cheaper!
I am fond of peticure I went with their corded version since I don't like having to fuss with charging. The big reason I liked them is because of the guard. Kirby has lots of hair and the guard prevents him from getting fur tangled up when I am working. I also like the guard holds in 99% of the nail shavings so not a ton of dust floating around or getting over everything.
One recommendation: see if any of your friends have a Dremel (it doesn't have to be specialized to pet settings; you can use most of the basic Dremel tips to file nails if you're careful) and try that out on your pet first. I say this because some pets really freak out at the vibrating sensation that Dremel files produce. Much like some people instinctively hate the sound of drills or saws grinding against teeth, some pets just do NOT get along with Dremels and claws. So if any of your friends have a Dremel that they're willing to loan to the experiment, it may save you the expense of buying one yourself if your pet proves to be one of the ones that dislikes the sensation.

Devoted Inquisitor

[Alphabravo]
One recommendation: see if any of your friends have a Dremel (it doesn't have to be specialized to pet settings; you can use most of the basic Dremel tips to file nails if you're careful) and try that out on your pet first. I say this because some pets really freak out at the vibrating sensation that Dremel files produce. Much like some people instinctively hate the sound of drills or saws grinding against teeth, some pets just do NOT get along with Dremels and claws. So if any of your friends have a Dremel that they're willing to loan to the experiment, it may save you the expense of buying one yourself if your pet proves to be one of the ones that dislikes the sensation.

You have to train the animal to be okay with the dremel. :]
Latrans

I did try that with both my dog and my cat (accustoming them to having their paws handled, accustomed them to the sound of the Dremel, accustomed them to the Dremel near their paws, accustomed them to the vibration of the body of the Dremel against their paws, accustomed them to the body of the Dremel against their claws), but when it came to the actual bit vibrating against their claws, neither one reacted well to it. The neighbors dog reacted beautifully to this line of training, and I still file his claws every three or so weeks. I'm just saying, prepare for the possibility that they'll like the Dremel even less than they like the clippers. Clippers don't involve a new noise and a weird vibration, so some animals take to it and some don't.
Latrans
[Alphabravo]

This. Kirby is sensitive with his feet but because his nails grow so slowly it is hard to clip him without quicking even if you take almost nothing off. Thus, dremels were the way to go and I just worked on paring it with positive reinforcements and slowly introducing it so I could use it on him.

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

[Alphabravo]
Latrans

I did try that with both my dog and my cat (accustoming them to having their paws handled, accustomed them to the sound of the Dremel, accustomed them to the Dremel near their paws, accustomed them to the vibration of the body of the Dremel against their paws, accustomed them to the body of the Dremel against their claws), but when it came to the actual bit vibrating against their claws, neither one reacted well to it. The neighbors dog reacted beautifully to this line of training, and I still file his claws every three or so weeks. I'm just saying, prepare for the possibility that they'll like the Dremel even less than they like the clippers. Clippers don't involve a new noise and a weird vibration, so some animals take to it and some don't.

idk, Cookie doesn't like a lot of things.. baths.. nail clipping.. other things... but she doesn't freak out on me. she just tries to pull away and I am strong enough to restrain all 8 lbs of her if necessary and telling her to 'stay' usually helps a lot.

but when I file her nails she falls asleep lol I know the dremel will be different than my filing by hand. I just think it's funny.

she's scared of the vacuum but she will watch me use it instead of hiding and she came and sat on the couch when I was vacuuming it the other day emotion_awesome

she's also very scared of big bouncy balls which I bought cause I thought she'd like them. turns out she's terrified. but she will go paw at them if I tell her to. x)

edit: oh and also, when a stage of training fails aren't you just supposed to go back to the previous step?

Devoted Inquisitor

[Alphabravo]
Latrans

Over how much time did you do that?

We're training Zobby to be okay with it now, and we expect it to take a month/month and a half.
Savage Destiny
I use a Dremel brand from the hardware store. smile They work better than the "pet" dremels, and are generally cheaper!

This. At least, these were what we used in the grooming salon.

To get your pet used to the vibrating feeling I've always recommended starting with a vibrating toothbrush. Not too noisy and very gentle.

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

Marquess de Sade
Savage Destiny

To get your pet used to the vibrating feeling I've always recommended starting with a vibrating toothbrush. Not too noisy and very gentle.

do you think the real quality dremels would be too much for a little dog and maybe heat up their nails too much?
Eri fox
Marquess de Sade
Savage Destiny

do you think the real quality dremels would be too much for a little dog and maybe heat up their nails too much?

I've always used them on small dogs without an issue. Chihuahua's to Newfies. That's just my personal experience though.

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

Marquess de Sade
Eri fox
Marquess de Sade
Savage Destiny

I've always used them on small dogs without an issue. Chihuahua's to Newfies. That's just my personal experience though.

is there a better tip that might last longer than the sandpaper rolls?
kind of like what a real metal nail file is made of.

Eloquent Gawker

Eri fox
Marquess de Sade
Savage Destiny

Nope! We use them on teeny dogs all day long. smile The trick to not heating up the nail is to keep the dremel moving, not just stationary. Grind a bit, remove it, grind the other side of the nail, move it back, etc. That way the nail doesn't have a chance to heat up from the friction.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff