Welcome to Gaia! ::

Demonic Ladykiller

12,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
So my dog LOVES car rides. He goes nuts when I take him, but everyone is telling me I should enter the car before him. I fail to see how that's possible, he's a 65 pound pit bull, if I get in first then allow him in by going over me, it will hurt.

So, my question is how do I allow a dog to enter after I do? I don't see how it's possible? question
I don't see the point in making the dog go in after you. Generally I just want to get the dogs in and go... But my pups also ride in crates in the back of the car sooo there's really now way for them to get in after me....

Devoted Inquisitor

Lol that's hilarious.

Just put him in the car first it's nbd.
Lol wut? I do like my dog to wait for a release word to exit the car, even though he isn't the type that would bolt.
That sounds like something somebody who's all "you have to be dominant/show your dog that you're alpha" would say...

Personally, I make my dogs wait until I say they may to get in/out of the car (go through any door/gate with me) - me going first is damned inconvenient sometimes, but that doesn't mean they need to rush through, which could be dangerous.
As Aki Fairy said, my dogs have a word to get into the back of the truck/van. It's impossible for me to get in the truck first and then somehow, they get in the back, haha. So there is no problem about letting your dog get in first. My dogs have their word for getting in the truck/van and getting out, so they are still respectful.

Timid Pup

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Friendly 100
I have a Rottie and I don't make him get in the car after me...... I fail to see the point in it....
all I do is make him wait to get out of the car until i'm out because I don't want him running over me to get out of the car... xd

Demonic Ladykiller

12,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Everyone said the same thing, so I always make him wait to go in the car, and wait to go out. I trained him "go" and "stay, wait, come" but yeah a lot of people who say the dominants get in first. But then I started thinking, how the f is it possible . :/ So I guess what I'm doing now is okay

Devoted Inquisitor

Why do you care if you're dominant?

Demonic Ladykiller

12,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Latrans
I had a dog that was dominant and do not want that too happen again

Devoted Inquisitor

Satans Bloody Valentine
Latrans

How? You're the human, you control everything.

Demonic Ladykiller

12,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Latrans
Satans Bloody Valentine
Latrans

Well with my dog he's getting to that testy age, almost 2 years old and I do realize a change in his behavior when he does something that shows dominance, he listens less.

Devoted Inquisitor

Satans Bloody Valentine
Latrans
Satans Bloody Valentine
Latrans

Well with my dog he's getting to that testy age, almost 2 years old and I do realize a change in his behavior when he does something that shows dominance, he listens less.

Lol what's he doing?

Demonic Ladykiller

12,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Latrans
Satans Bloody Valentine
Latrans
Satans Bloody Valentine
Latrans

Lol what's he doing?
If I lay on my back, let him through the door first, eat first, etc he will listen a lot less and break rules I made such as no dashing through the door, no jumping on furniture, no jumping on people

Devoted Inquisitor

Satans Bloody Valentine
Latrans
Satans Bloody Valentine
Latrans
Satans Bloody Valentine
Latrans

Lol what's he doing?
If I lay on my back, let him through the door first, eat first, etc he will listen a lot less and break rules I made such as no dashing through the door, no jumping on furniture, no jumping on people

Are you sure that you're not just seeing bad behavior when you relax the rules?

I'll be straight with you; I don't believe that's dominance based behavior. That's just a dog being a dog.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff