Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Kitten

Hello! I was wondering if I was the only person here with pet hermit crabs. I currently have 8 purple pinchers in a 55 gallon tank and with a 29 gallon topper.

User Image

Dapper Fatcat

I have saltwater hermit crabs.

Friendly Kitten

Tinfoil Paradox
I have saltwater hermit crabs.

Ohhh marine ones? Defiantly don't have the setup for those, but I've always found their appearance really interesting. I think they look cute.

Dapper Fatcat

- Lazulee -
Ohhh marine ones? Defiantly don't have the setup for those, but I've always found their appearance really interesting. I think they look cute.

They're definitely interesting.

Picture 1. Picture 2.

Friendly Kitten

Tinfoil Paradox
- Lazulee -

They're definitely interesting.

Picture 1. Picture 2.

Awesome ^^ I know frequently in th land hermit crab forums I visit some people will post stuff wondering why their hermit crab isn't being active and then they'll mention they took it off of a beach somewhere like Texas or North Caroline (where land hermits are NOT native) and its always a marine hermit crab they're trying to treat like a land one which always irks me.

Dapper Fatcat

- Lazulee -
Awesome ^^ I know frequently in th land hermit crab forums I visit some people will post stuff wondering why their hermit crab isn't being active and then they'll mention they took it off of a beach somewhere like Texas or North Caroline (where land hermits are NOT native) and its always a marine hermit crab they're trying to treat like a land one which always irks me.

Gotta love ignorance when it comes to removing an animal from the wild.

Friendly Kitten

Tinfoil Paradox
- Lazulee -

Gotta love ignorance when it comes to removing an animal from the wild.

Yes. Its sad had ignorant people can be toward aquatic life in general. I don't even buy land hermit crabs at pet stores anymore once I found out they were harvested from the wild. Instead I look for people giving away/sell them because they got bored with them.

Dapper Fatcat

- Lazulee -
Yes. Its sad had ignorant people can be toward aquatic life in general. I don't even buy land hermit crabs at pet stores anymore once I found out they were harvested from the wild. Instead I look for people giving away/sell them because they got bored with them.

That's the main reason I don't have one. Maybe one day captive bred hermits will be easier to achieve, but till then I'll stick with aquatic crabs.

Fashionable Guildswoman

25,825 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Brilliant Light 450
I used to have a huge tank with some in there when I was a child.
I loved having them, they are so cute!
And they all have their own unique personalities. heart
When my son gets a little bit older I want to get him a tank and some crabs. emotion_c8

Friendly Kitten

Nenanah
I used to have a huge tank with some in there when I was a child.
I loved having them, they are so cute!
And they all have their own unique personalities. heart
When my son gets a little bit older I want to get him a tank and some crabs. emotion_c8

I live near the beach so my parents frequently took me as a child and I would sometimes get one of those poor souvenir hermit crabs kept in those crappy critter keepers. Of course I was like in the 2nd grade so I didn't know any better. My nostalgia got the better of me when I was planning a beach trip with my friend and I wanted some and ended up goggling them before I went which I learned about their proper care.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff