Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm wondering if it's truly necessary to crop their ears and doc their tails. I want own one but ever where I read tells me different stuff.

What do you think?
What are you planning to use the dog for? (family pet, competition, guard, work/sport?)

Different breeders may have different policies, so it'd be best to include in your questions when searching for a good one, especially if you decide you'd really the dog be one way or the other.
~ Aki - Fairy ~
What are you planning to use the dog for? (family pet, competition, guard, work/sport?)

Different breeders may have different policies, so it'd be best to include in your questions when searching for a good one, especially if you decide you'd really the dog be one way or the other.

Just as a pet. Walk it around the park and play fetch.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
no it isn't necessary.

But tail docking is done when a pup is 3 days old, either by a practiced breeder or by a vet the breeder goes to. Places the the UK though have docking and cropping band.

Ears get done when the puppy is a bit older (don't know if it is before or after pups go to their owners from breeders.)

I think in the AKC that dobies need to be docked and cropped if they are going to compete, so to get a dobe that doesn't have a docked tail would be hard to come by if you go to a breeder (it is hard to tell if a dog is going to be show quality or not when they are 3 days old).

How would you go about getting your dobe if you do get one?
neither HAS to happen unless you choose to show in the ring. Most breeders however do dock the tails, but ear cropping is up to the owners considering they're the ones who will have to deal with post op ears stuff.

Ears don't have to be cropped to show, but it's a lot harder to earn your CH with a natural eared dog.
Mistress of Rain
Ears get done when the puppy is a bit older (don't know if it is before or after pups go to their owners from breeders.)

Pretty sure it's right around the time that the pups go to their new homes for ears.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Mistress of Rain

Pretty sure it's right around the time that the pups go to their new homes for ears.

as okay.
Mistress of Rain
no it isn't necessary.

But tail docking is done when a pup is 3 days old, either by a practiced breeder or by a vet the breeder goes to. Places the the UK though have docking and cropping band.

I think in the AKC that dobies need to be docked and cropped if they are going to compete, so to get a dobe that doesn't have a docked tail would be hard to come by if you go to a breeder (it is hard to tell if a dog is going to be show quality or not when they are 3 days old).

I was going to find a breeder.

I've read before that the ears have to get cropped because they tend to get ear infections, I'm wondering if that is true.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Trainer Orange
Mistress of Rain
no it isn't necessary.

I've read before that the ears have to get cropped because they tend to get ear infections, I'm wondering if that is true.

I honestly believe that is a myth, considering that their natural ears are not absurdly long and there are dogs with longer ears and they don't have any abnormally frequent ear infections.
Moth Feathers
Trainer Orange
Mistress of Rain
no it isn't necessary.

I honestly believe that is a myth, considering that their natural ears are not absurdly long and there are dogs with longer ears and they don't have any abnormally frequent ear infections.

That's what I was thinking. It would really suck to put a dog through unnecessary surgery. Plus I like their ears! whee

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Trainer Orange
Moth Feathers
Trainer Orange
Mistress of Rain
no it isn't necessary.

That's what I was thinking. It would really suck to put a dog through unnecessary surgery. Plus I like their ears! whee

Same!

Also the fact that it's not just the surgery, but you'll have to be retaping their ears frequently (I think it's like twice a week or so? I'm not really sure) and do that for like, months. Such a pain. I hear stories about how people's puppies dread getting their ears re-taped and will run away to avoid it and such.
Then again I don't think I would care for a dog with any more than minimal grooming needs, so maybe that's why I don't like the idea of needing to bother about retaping ears so frequently.

Devoted Inquisitor

Trainer Orange
Mistress of Rain
no it isn't necessary.

If that were true, they'd crop all the hounds, too.
Moth Feathers
Trainer Orange
Moth Feathers
Trainer Orange
Mistress of Rain
no it isn't necessary.

Same!

Also the fact that it's not just the surgery, but you'll have to be retaping their ears frequently (I think it's like twice a week or so? I'm not really sure) and do that for like, months. Such a pain. I hear stories about how people's puppies dread getting their ears re-taped and will run away to avoid it and such.
Then again I don't think I would care for a dog with any more than minimal grooming needs, so maybe that's why I don't like the idea of needing to bother about retaping ears so frequently.

I would run away too! Seems horrible and a huge hassle.

Thanks for informing me. I've decided to not clip their ears. I've wanted a Doberman Pinscher since childhood.
Latrans
Trainer Orange
Mistress of Rain
no it isn't necessary.

Well said. I guess people just do that to make their dog look more intimidating.

Devoted Inquisitor

Trainer Orange
Latrans
Trainer Orange
Mistress of Rain
no it isn't necessary.

Well said. I guess people just do that to make their dog look more intimidating.

Well, yeah. That was the purpose of the dobe.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff