Welcome to Gaia! ::

I own a Declawed cat, but he was found that way. I have heard rumours that it weakens the bones in their front paws. The rest of my cats never have scratched on furniture or anything.

If you wanna keep your cat from scratching stuff, invest Soft Paws toe caps.

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
Shoopuffs

Also there are some medical pros to getting a cat declawed, if the nail is damaged beyond normal repair, or if has a tumor. Also because it is sometimes a trauma to the owners. There are people whose immune systems are suppressed or the elderly on blood thinners who can’t be exposed to the bacteria on a cat’s claws.

Yeah. But declawing a cat, makes them more likely to turn to their last defense. Which is biting.

Which has way more infection causing bacteria than their claws.

8,350 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
You cat clip the nails, file them, cap them, spray orange scent on furniture, get scratching posts, all kinds of things. Why would you cut out his toe bones? So stupid.....
Though I think of cat declawing as a cruel and unnecessary procedure, I do have another question for you guys.

Say you have a cat. And then you have a child. Now, there is the obvious concern here: cats and very young children will often not get along. It seems like it would be a very normal decision for a parent, concerned for their child's well-being, to want to declaw their cat in order to keep it from tearing up the kid, supposing you can't really effectively keep the two separated. You can say, if they're so worried about that, rehome the cat.

I for one think it's really stupid to get rid of any pets you have just because you suddenly have a kid, it's not fair to the pet (of course, if the kid has some insane strong allergies, I guess there isn't much else you can do!). Not to mention, the cat might not find a home, and end up euthanized/on the street/whatever. But at the same time, I can totally understand parents being concerned about the kid's safety.

Just for the sake of discussion, lets pretend soft paws aren't an option, for whatever reason. o: My question really just is: What is the lesser of two evils, tossing the cat or declawing it?
Let me start by saying that my cats are all declawed. There are circumstances where I do think it would be cruel to decalw a cat and there are other situations in which I do believe it is necessary.

Do No declaw your cat if it ventures outside at all, that is cruel and asking for trouble. Taking away their main route of defense and escape but still allowing them outside. Yeah that sounds pretty stupid to me.

Times when I do believe it is okay to declaw a cat include, as is my circumstance, when it's part of a lease. Again this is only for indoor cats if it's part of your rental agreement to declaw and you do but you still let your cat outside, then your just stupid.

I can't see any other reason for declawing a cat.

Also I will add that the only method that should ever be used to declaw is laser, clipping is simply barbaric now that they have developed the laser method. And it also must be done within the cats first year of life.

[edited]
Maximooses
Though I think of cat declawing as a cruel and unnecessary procedure, I do have another question for you guys.

Say you have a cat. And then you have a child. Now, there is the obvious concern here: cats and very young children will often not get along. It seems like it would be a very normal decision for a parent, concerned for their child's well-being, to want to declaw their cat in order to keep it from tearing up the kid, supposing you can't really effectively keep the two separated. You can say, if they're so worried about that, rehome the cat.

I for one think it's really stupid to get rid of any pets you have just because you suddenly have a kid, it's not fair to the pet (of course, if the kid has some insane strong allergies, I guess there isn't much else you can do!). Not to mention, the cat might not find a home, and end up euthanized/on the street/whatever. But at the same time, I can totally understand parents being concerned about the kid's safety.

Just for the sake of discussion, lets pretend soft paws aren't an option, for whatever reason. o: My question really just is: What is the lesser of two evils, tossing the cat or declawing it?

ACTUALLY that's one of the biggest excuses that people use to mutilate their cats. But let me bring this up:

What honestly RESPONSIBLE parent will leave their child alone with ANY kind of pet? Especially a baby. What parent would not keep their animal confined to a certain part of the house, which is completely possible.

It shouldn't be a "Declaw or Toss" kind of decision. I think parents who chose that option are honestly, stupid. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. xD

Let me bring this up: MANY people have small dogs. I myself have one. He has claws, no not something that's going to slice through skin like a knife, but it DOES hurt. And yes, he does jump onto things like couches, and beds. So what would stop him from climbing into a crib? Yes, he can climb fences, too, among other things i've watched him climb. So what would I do in that situation? Toss him? Mutilate HIS feet? No, I would confine him.

I'm married, I have pets, 5 cats in fact. I'm not in that area where I want a child but I would NEVER mutilate my poor cats' feet just because I have a baby. I would keep my cat out of the baby room. That's easily done with a closed door. Baby can have open windows with screens, baby can have baby monitor in its' room. Kitty can't recover if it gets arthritis for my own stupid decision.

Also; let's say someone gets a cat. A kitten. They get pregnant. Maybe a year or so, 2 years down the road after getting little kitty. Well, Little Kitty here isn't so little any more. Older cats have so much trouble recovering from declawing it's really sad. It's all sad. Many don't recover.

So what justice is found in putting now-big kitty out of being able to walk properly or enjoy it's life for the sake of being too lazy to close a door and turn on a baby monitor? Or to watch your children?

Children are important. So Why, oh why, do people be so careless with them? They deserve to be paid attention to.
Mistress of Rain
there is no discussion, it is cruel and inhumane. It should only be done for the Health of the cat. Other than that it should not be done.

It is Inhumane and Cruel be cause it isn't taking off the nail it is amputating the their toes, for us it would be taking the last joint of your fingers. (cats walk on their toes unlike us.)
This. People say it's inhumane for a reason. Would you like someone to come chop your fingertips off? Only a smartass would say yes.
Exorcist Rin Okumura
Mistress of Rain
there is no discussion, it is cruel and inhumane. It should only be done for the Health of the cat. Other than that it should not be done.

It is Inhumane and Cruel be cause it isn't taking off the nail it is amputating the their toes, for us it would be taking the last joint of your fingers. (cats walk on their toes unlike us.)
This. People say it's inhumane for a reason. Would you like someone to come chop your fingertips off? Only a smartass would say yes.

Are your fingers retractable like a cat's claws are? I don't think it's quite the same thing, though I know people love to compare it to that.
I think it would also be closer to clopping off someones toes (yes I know not retractable but follow me with this thought) as we use those for balance similar to a cat uses it's claws. So I guess your argument works anyway, I wouldn't want my toes cut off that's for sure.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
hiysinphlay

For anyone with overly sensitive skin, such as elderly people whose skin is quite frail and could rip and break even because of the simple kneading action cats do to show affection.

That's already been knocked down as being a silly reason in this thread. No offense to you, I often don't read the posts before mine either, just saying this so others will know.

1- Cats can bite, in fact are more prone to when declawed. What is one going to do, remove their teeth too? Biting is just as harmful to the elderly, or even more so considering the bacteria, than being scratched.

2- Rather than subject another cat to such a cruel procedure, one can adopt an already declawed cat.

3- If someone is in that position, it's probably best not to get a cat at all. Probably be best to stick with pets that do not bite, such as passerine birds, fish, small lizards such as anoles, etc.

4- There are ways you can minimize the damage, such as by applying Softpaws and regularly trimming the nails.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Maximooses

I'm sorry Being raised on a farm with arm cats, If the child does something that gets the cat to the point of needing to get away... the Child deserves to be scratched, maybe he will learn that he shouldn't do something.... yes it hurts but guess what if the child isn't insanely allergic (aka my boyfriend ) they will cry and then they will get over it. (There is a reason you don't leave children and pets alone... and you TEACH toddlers how to pet fluffy...and when to leave fluffy alone...)

And Most cats when you declaw them they turn to biting when they want to get away, or kangaroo kicking, they both still draw blood and can hurt a child.

I have my fair share of scratches from cats, even now being 21 I'm still bushing cat's barriers and bugging them sometimes to the point that I'm attacked (my cat will basicly try to kill my hand if I try to pet her...)

random side note....I just realized with how the world is going I would probably be charged with Child abuse if I let any child I have grow up like I did.... Letting them burn themselves after telling them it is hot.... letting the child get nipped/scratched by an animal if they do something stupid... and forcing them to GASP go out side and play in the dirt... and letting them eat things off the floor....
hiysinphlay
Exorcist Rin Okumura
Mistress of Rain

Are your fingers retractable like a cat's claws are? I don't think it's quite the same thing, though I know people love to compare it to that.
I think it would also be closer to clopping off someones toes (yes I know not retractable but follow me with this thought) as we use those for balance similar to a cat uses it's claws. So I guess your argument works anyway, I wouldn't want my toes cut off that's for sure.
..Whether they're retractable or not is pretty much irrelevant, lol.
Your cat's claw is not a toenail. It is actually closely adhered to the bone. So closely adhered that to remove the claw, the last bone of your the cat's claw has to be removed. Declawing is actually an amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes". When you envision that, it becomes clear why declawing is not a humane act. It is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery period. And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk, jump, and scratch in its litter box regardless of the pain it is experiencing. Wheelchairs and bedpans are not an option for a cat.
No cat lover would doubt that cats--whose senses are much keener than ours--suffer pain. They may, however, hide it better. Not only are they proud, they instinctively know that they are at risk when in a weakened position, and by nature will attempt to hide it. But make no mistake. This is not a surgery to be taken lightly.
Moth Feathers
hiysinphlay

For anyone with overly sensitive skin, such as elderly people whose skin is quite frail and could rip and break even because of the simple kneading action cats do to show affection.

That's already been knocked down as being a silly reason in this thread. No offense to you, I often don't read the posts before mine either, just saying this so others will know.

1- Cats can bite, in fact are more prone to when declawed. What is one going to do, remove their teeth too? Biting is just as harmful to the elderly, or even more so considering the bacteria, than being scratched.

2- Rather than subject another cat to such a cruel procedure, one can adopt an already declawed cat.

3- If someone is in that position, it's probably best not to get a cat at all. Probably be best to stick with pets that do not bite, such as passerine birds, fish, small lizards such as anoles, etc.

4- There are ways you can minimize the damage, such as by applying Softpaws and regularly trimming the nails.

Yeah I didn't want to read all the posts before mine as I was sure they would be quite long. I agree though that adopting an already declawed cat is preferable there are quite a few of them out there in need of homes.
And oh boy I do know about the more prone to biting thing, my Oroeo bites quite a bit now when it gets irritated and he bites hard. Believe me I think i would rather be scratched.
Sorry it didn't occur to me at the time about the bacteria and biting and the like, but yes your completely right. Thanks for correcting me on that :3
Mistress of Rain

random side note....I just realized with how the world is going I would probably be charged with Child abuse if I let any child I have grow up like I did.... Letting them burn themselves after telling them it is hot.... letting the child get nipped/scratched by an animal if they do something stupid... and forcing them to GASP go out side and play in the dirt... and letting them eat things off the floor....

I really hate how the world is today.

Someone posted on Facebook today;

"My curfew was lightning bugs, mom didn't call my cell, she yelled my name, I played outside w/friends, not online, If I didn't eat what my mom cooked then I didn't eat. Sanitizer didn't exist, but you COULD get your mouth washed out w/soap. I rode a bike w/o a helmet, getting dirty was ok, and neighbors gave a darn as much as your parents did. Re-post if you drank water from a garden hose & survived!"

I didn't repost, only some of that really applied to me. xD I mean, sanitizer existed. And I never got my mouth washed out, thank God. But everything else, yes.

I mean, the way I grew up I wish I could instill in my kids. I really think I turned out just fine. I played outside in the dirt, I ran around barefoot, I caught wild animals, and i'm pretty sure at one point I ate paint chips according to my brother. xD

I remember drinking from the garden hose, instead of going inside on a hot summer day. Poking at bugs, jumping in water puddles and waiting for the rainiest part of the season so i could pretend it was a river in my backyard and yeah, i'd jump and wade in it and "swim" in it.

I burnt myself to learn that things were hot, I learned what not to eat from getting sick. Yeah my parents were there saying don't do this don't do that but still.

Sad, really.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
hiysinphlay
Exorcist Rin Okumura
Mistress of Rain

It's not so much the re tractability but how intertwined the bones in a cat's paw (that are amputated during declawing) are with the muscles present in the back and shoulders.
In the human hand, for example, the muscles that move our fingers are present up along the entire forearm, rather than just being found in the fingers themselves. Humans who suffer tendon injuries often feel stiff and sore in their fingers, hand, and related areas. I'd hate to be a cat and suffer that- unfortunately cats can be such stoic animals that often it's hard for us to tell.

Cats also use their claws for many purposes similar to how we use our fingers. They use their claws/paws to manipulate objects (toys, animals, food), to express emotion (kneading behaviors), and to flex and exercise (scratching, gait-related behaviors).
While some of these things are similar to what we use our toes for (gait-related behavior), humans definitely do not normally use their toes for manipulating objects or expressing emotion.
Exorcist Rin Okumura
hiysinphlay
Exorcist Rin Okumura
Mistress of Rain

..Whether they're retractable or not is pretty much irrelevant, lol.
Your cat's claw is not a toenail. It is actually closely adhered to the bone. So closely adhered that to remove the claw, the last bone of your the cat's claw has to be removed. Declawing is actually an amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes". When you envision that, it becomes clear why declawing is not a humane act. It is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery period. And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk, jump, and scratch in its litter box regardless of the pain it is experiencing. Wheelchairs and bedpans are not an option for a cat.
No cat lover would doubt that cats--whose senses are much keener than ours--suffer pain. They may, however, hide it better. Not only are they proud, they instinctively know that they are at risk when in a weakened position, and by nature will attempt to hide it. But make no mistake. This is not a surgery to be taken lightly.

I guess that was a pretty silly thing to say lol I didn't mean it as a point the retractable thing really is irreverent it just popped into my head really. xD
But believe me I am quite aware of the particulars of the surgery, and I know everything that you said is completely true, this was knowledge that I already had long ago. Sorry if it seems I was trying to argue with you, I just wanted to point out that clopping off fingers wouldn't be quite as bad clopping off toes so I think that would be a better comparison.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff