Welcome to Gaia! ::

To keep this short and sweet: After many years, my marriage ended. Now that I live on my own, I've been thinking of getting a dog, a rescue from a shelter. I've had dogs all my life up until I met my husband and we found out that he was allergic. When I mentioned getting a dog, my family wasn't keen on the idea. They told me dogs are too much responsibility, they mess in the house; a long list of reasons not to get one. I explained to them that I wanted a dog to be my companion. I want to live on my own, but with a friend (the dog). I want to take the dog with me on hikes and get myself into shape, teach it tricks, obedience, and agility. Someone to cuddle up to at night, to love.

But is it wrong to feel that way? I explained that to my family but they told me I'm transferring my feelings for my ex onto a dog. I should exercise by myself, learn to sleep by myself at night. I don't really see it as "using" the dog. I want a dog. I love dogs. I grew up with dogs. But yes, I want a friend. I don't want to live alone. I want a cuddler. I want to exercise together. Is it wrong that I want to save and be saved in return? At night when I feel like letting go, I wouldn't mind cuddling up to my dog and reminding myself that everything is going to be all right.

I appreciate any comments or suggestions, but please be gentle.
I don't see anything wrong with your reasons for wanting a dog, so long as you're aware of the work and cost that comes with having one (training, exercising, grooming, cleaning up after, feeding a good food, vet expenses, etc..) and are committed to taking care of it for the rest of its life.

I got my cat because I wanted a cat. She's not a mouser (hell, she doesn't even kill bugs for me, just stalks them a bit) or a show cat, she's just a pet. I have my dogs because I wanted a dog.

The fact that pets are great for emotional support is a wonderful added bonus to having them. Sure you might be redirecting some of the feelings you had for your husband towards them, but would your friends/family rather see you jump into a rebound relationship with a potentially less-than-stellar partner just so that you have another person around instead? Also, it's not like you're making them get a dog or forcing them to live with it or take care of it or anything, so..

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
I see no reason why you shouldn't look into getting a dog. I mean yeah, they are a lot of responsibility and work, but if you're willing to put in the heart, soul, hard work and time it takes, then by all means go for it.

I don't think you're trying to transfer your feelings from your ex to your future dog by any means. What you're doing is an amazing thing, especially because you're looking to rescue. All the reasons you've listed are amazing reasons to want to get a dog.

I'm still working on getting my parents to open up to the idea of me getting a dog. But after the things my sisters pup chewed up, they're not so keen, as well as the fact that I want a German Shepherd, because they can get up to be close to 100 lbs. But like you, I want a companion, and someone to exercise with. And just to feel safer when I'm home alone, and when I move out depending on my roommate situation, because I get really paranoid when I'm left alone for long periods of time. Knowing that there's a dog in the house would make me feel about 100x safer.

Anxious Werewolf

16,150 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • The Wolf Within 100
It sounds like your going to be very involved with the dog anyway! Who cares if it's a replacement. I'm soo glad to have my dog when I'm home alone even if she's a huge bed hog. lol If your not sure what breed your looking for I'd go to youtube and watch the Dogs 101 series. I'm sure you'll get a mix of some sort but it's nice to know a little bit about those mixes. And I'd totally recommend adopting an older dog! No terrible puppy stages.

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
You're reasons are pretty much the same as mine for wanting a dog.
My family however is on the fence about it
I think you should get one for the sake of having something there for you
If you can afford a dog and care for a dog then get one if you want to. Your reasons for wanting a dog are totally valid...dogs can be wonderful companions.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
as long as you have the money, time, and energy for a dog it really doesnt matter what your reasons are lol. i got my dog because i wanted a walking buddy and i didnt want to pick up food off the floor when i drop something

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff