Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Savage Destiny

Sulfur like IS my version of extreme, so yes I'm really hoping it works, haha. I might have a nervous breakdown if I have to put some toxic chemical on them.

Silkies seem super sweet, so I bet she'll be good with the babies. EEs seem pretty small- at least Tillie is WAY smaller than the other girls- so she'll be in good company. Also I will require a million chick pictures you know.

Yeah, I'm thinking the EEs will probably be somewhere in size between T and my New Hamshire Reds. Should work out rather nicely.
I promise to get tons of photos! I may even take a few of the big girls!

Eloquent Gawker

Payton Leeroy
Savage Destiny

Sulfur like IS my version of extreme, so yes I'm really hoping it works, haha. I might have a nervous breakdown if I have to put some toxic chemical on them.

Silkies seem super sweet, so I bet she'll be good with the babies. EEs seem pretty small- at least Tillie is WAY smaller than the other girls- so she'll be in good company. Also I will require a million chick pictures you know.

Yeah, I'm thinking the EEs will probably be somewhere in size between T and my New Hamshire Reds. Should work out rather nicely.
I promise to get tons of photos! I may even take a few of the big girls!

I want to have chicks so bad. Oh well, someday I will!

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Baby chicks are here! Unsurprisingly, T turned down the chance at being their mom [I really really wish it had been broodiness instead of moulting! It would have made chicks SOOO much easier!] so instead of being cared for by her they're in a 55 gallon tank in my bedroom so I can keep an eye on them until they are big enough they won't fit through the bars of a dog kennel. Then they'll be tough enough to live in the livingroom where it's much busier, then field trips to the yard and chicken coop, ending with a merging between the babies and big girls!

Pictures!
When Sweet T first saw the babies I actually thought there was a good chance she'd take them on. She was very interested in them, but after an hour of being together she was ignoring them, so yeah.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The 55 gallon tank. They've got branches to practice perching on, and their food and water are raised on bricks so they don't get them dirty. There's a warm end and cool end so they can regulate their temperature on their own, which seems to be working pretty well. It will need daily cleaning, but that's just how things happen sometimes.

And more of the babies! In red light of course, so not the best photos. They're actually up right now. I gave them 6 roly polies to practice their hunting with! They just finished eating and are now preening in unison. Super cute little buggers, though we haven't named them yet.

Eloquent Gawker

Payton Leeroy
Baby chicks are here! Unsurprisingly, T turned down the chance at being their mom [I really really wish it had been broodiness instead of moulting! It would have made chicks SOOO much easier!] so instead of being cared for by her they're in a 55 gallon tank in my bedroom so I can keep an eye on them until they are big enough they won't fit through the bars of a dog kennel. Then they'll be tough enough to live in the livingroom where it's much busier, then field trips to the yard and chicken coop, ending with a merging between the babies and big girls!

Pictures!

AHHH they're so cute! I am extremely jealous.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Savage Destiny
Payton Leeroy

Pictures!

AHHH they're so cute! I am extremely jealous.

The best part? They always seem to be awake when I wake up, so I can watch them running around! This morning they decided to race each other from one side of the tank to the other, and even tried flying a bit!

Eloquent Gawker

Payton Leeroy
The best part? They always seem to be awake when I wake up, so I can watch them running around! This morning they decided to race each other from one side of the tank to the other, and even tried flying a bit!

Gawd I want chicks. They're so cute and it would be so cool to raise them from wee little babies.

So I talked to someone last night on a chicken group that was SUPER helpful about the girls' respiratory issues. He gave me a list of herbs to try feeding them to help clear it up, and told me to get some Vet Rx to rub on their nostrils. Apparently it is like Vapo Rub for chickens. So I ordered that and picked up basil, fennel, parsley, thyme, and oregano to start adding to their greens.

They got those things plus alfalfa, dandelion greens, and miner's lettuce today.

They seemed to enjoy their snack!

I love the iridescence on Berta's feathers.

Gladys is so nosy. She was checking out what I scooped out of the coop.

Monstee wants in the chicken yard SO BAD.

Eloquent Gawker

HAPPY FREAKIN APRIL FOOLS DAY

Yep, that's right, IT SNOWED. I woke up to crabby chickens. Tillie outright refused to exit the coop. Sylvia did... then went back in to hide.

I'm also crabby because half the netting I had over their run was brought down by the snow. HOO-FRICKIN-RAY.

evil

Commander in Chief

Savage Destiny
HAPPY FREAKIN APRIL FOOLS DAY

Yep, that's right, IT SNOWED. I woke up to crabby chickens. Tillie outright refused to exit the coop. Sylvia did... then went back in to hide.

I'm also crabby because half the netting I had over their run was brought down by the snow. HOO-FRICKIN-RAY.

evil
Did you know that if I eat too much of this birthday cake that I might start to spawn again and then there will be thousands more of me once again. You know this will be good for Site Feedback, so ok - more me! Bye bye!

Eloquent Gawker

Well, in typical Central Oregon fashion, today it is nice and warm, all the snow is melting. The girls are pleased, even though their run is a mud pit in most places. Their feet are so muddy!

They all settled down for a good preening after their snack, except for Tillie, who opted for a nap.

Aaah! I love all the chicken pictures! Makes me want some REALLY bad now. Keep em comin biggrin

Invisible Phantom

8,000 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Gaian 50
Gotta love the sense of humor the Northwest weather has xD

Eloquent Gawker

Update on the girls! The herbs seem to be doing the trick, not a wheeze, gurgle, or sneeze is to be heard in the yard. smile I'm so relieved!

I re-dusted them with sulfur yesterday to try and keep ahead of the lice, and I could not find any live lice at all. Tillie has some egg clusters under her beak, so I smeared coconut oil all over them to suffocate them. The result was a greasy, irritated chicken. rofl

I forgot to take pics today though, sorry!

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
awww gorgeous chicken ladies!

Love chickens! If I didn't rent in town, I'd totally have chickens, they're so awesome.

Except for bird lice GAG. Hope you get it all under control soon! heart
I don't think I've ever posted in here, but I'm always stopping in to ogle your chickens. They look so lovely and well taken care of.

Eloquent Gawker

Krissim Klaw
I don't think I've ever posted in here, but I'm always stopping in to ogle your chickens. They look so lovely and well taken care of.

Thank you! I just love them and I've been trying to do right by them for sure. smile

We put up the new netting today since the snow brought down the old stuff. It's hideous and yellow/green, but the holes are larger and the material sturdier, so I think it will hold up much better.

Sylvia and Tillie checking out the roll of netting.

They loved the warm sun today!

Gladys and Tillie got their dust bathin' on.

These are pine cones dipped in gelatin and coated in millet and sunflower hearts. The girls love them!

Berta contemplates a dust bath.

Did I mention Tillie lets me hold her on her back in my arms like a baby? emotion_kirakira

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff