Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mistress of Rain
Apparently! Sickening as that is. >>

lol I need to upgrade my poor machine. It's tough for this old dual-core CPU to run as many things as it's running right now. xD

One second while I do a quick workaround with this stupid browser to get Charmant quoted and replied to, too.
Prince Charmant
Lady Aurora Borealis should make a husky thread. I didn't much agree with her over bird care, but I do admit she knew a lot about huskies. I think that's the right user I'm thinking of, anyway. She had a pack of like... Four, I think?

Someone else correct me if I'm mistaken. xD But someone like that. Hell, if I knew anything about it, I'd do it myself. I should, really. Just to have a legit husky thread going on. xD

Invisible Citizen

Mistress of Rain
Apparently his dogs will "happily" lay on their backs for him to clean their paws... but i wonder how much of that is just "he put me on my back.... don't move....."

This is how he does it:
Don't move stupid bitches or I will hit you, bite your ear and make you feel extreme pain!
Sounds legit. :c Poor huskies, they really are beautiful. It's a shame he owns them and not an actual loving owner.

Aged Hunter

Not to rain on everyone's parade, but if you keep ragging on a user, even if you're not using their name, the thread can be reported for flaming, taken down and people can get banned. So lets give it a rest.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Prince Charmant
Mistress of Rain
Apparently his dogs will "happily" lay on their backs for him to clean their paws... but i wonder how much of that is just "he put me on my back.... don't move....."

This is how he does it:
Don't move stupid bitches or I will hit you, bite your ear and make you feel extreme pain!
Sounds legit. :c Poor huskies, they really are beautiful. It's a shame he owns them and not an actual loving owner.

and he got a male ><

and from the last time he "tried" talking to us he wanted to show... and sounded like it was going to be intact showing. Which
I will admit that with at least the poodle I own in the future I will be doing it as breeding stock since I want to help out my friend's kennel and possible get her lines out and mixing with other kennels and get some of her male pups titled... Also since she has a few different breeding females it could be possible for there to be enough of generational gaps to put him into breeding with possibly one of her future girls. (cause i know she doesn't you all the same studs... but she as a few that she likes to pick from because of genes and titles.)

Any ways... do you know much about making threads look pretty I'm thinking about rebuilding/remodeling my gerbil thread to make it more welcoming.
Oohh... Shearaha's gotta good point there. Last thing we need is to get taken down. D:

So I'ma just shoot this out to everyone to see what y'all think.
Ever heard of "push" training? Supposed to be tied in to energy and the like, and I would like to think it works in many cases; I was reading about it in NaturalDog mag at work.

Devoted Inquisitor

JosephineReally
Latrans
JosephineReally
Latrans
JosephineReally

Interesting! I thought I had already gone through the herding section but perhaps I just don't recall what I read since I'm going through the book sooooo slowly.

I can see her being mistaken for a GSD but a husky? I don't think huskies can even be that color and her face doesn't match up to a huskies. People are silly.

The full name (in the US) is the Belgian Tervuren. There's four breeds of Belgian in the US, one everywhere else. They're divided only by coat type and color. Long haired brown is the Tervuren, the long haired black is the Groenendael (Belgian Sheepdog in the US), the short haired brown is the Malinois, and the curly coated brown is the Laekenois.

Wiki.

If I decide to stick with Belgians, I might try a Laekenois for my next dog.
I do remember reading on them now! biggrin I remember thinking it was strange that there were four different dogs in one breed but I remember the pictures of them being really pretty.

The Laekonois is very interesting looking, not much like the other three from what I'm seeing in the book. Is there any specific reason why you're choosing that one? Just curious. 3nodding

I've always liked that coat type, but I really prefer herding dogs. They should basically be the same as the other Belgians, just in a different coat.

Of course, there are some slight generalizations that can be made (Mals tend to be harder and more 'on,' and can be really sharp dogs, while it's easier to find a mellow Terv), but overall they should be the same basic dog. Most people that are serious about the 'harder' sports like bite-work tend to get Mals, because the coat is easier.
Herding dogs are a lot of fun =) I'm not sure if I'll ever have the energy for one sadly (Though technically rotti's used to be herding dogs, lol).

I read in my book in some places they're considered different breeds but they seem to have a lot of similarities. Mal's coats are very pretty from the picture I'm looking at. Is it just easier because the hair is shorter? Sorry I don't know much about dog sports or how things play into them but I find myself becoming more interested in them.

Also, how is Elsie doing on her tracking? I haven't heard anything on it lately though I love it when you post training videos of her.

Elsie does require a lot of my time. I wouldn't be able to handle a low-energy dog, though. Zobby's slowness drives me bonkers.

It's my understanding that they're really only separate breeds in the US, and that everywhere else they're not--they're simply varieties. And yes, they're easier because the hair is shorter. The upkeep on a short coat is much easier than a long coat--they don't mat or tangle as easily. So it's just easier to keep the dog. Mals aren't shown in Conformation at the same frequencies as the other breeds/varieties, either, because they're not as flashy.

Elsie and I haven't been tracking in a couple weeks. D: We're supposed to go to a seminar in March, and now that I'm back in the groove, we're going to keep working. She is getting better so quickly.

Thanks--I've been sick, so the training we've been doing has been easy-on-me stuff.

Aged Hunter

Eizoryu
Oohh... Shearaha's gotta good point there. Last thing we need is to get taken down. D:

Ever heard of "push" training? Supposed to be tied in to energy and the like, and I would like to think it works in many cases; I was reading about it in NaturalDog mag at work.

Don't have the time right now, but defiantly going to read over this stuff later.
Shearaha
Eizoryu

Don't have the time right now, but defiantly going to read over this stuff later.
I think it's definitely an interesting way to look at things. I doubt it would work on my sis-in-law's 7mo pup because he's so young and so crazy energetic because heeler/corgi mutt, but I do have to wonder if it would work with us and Luce, our JRT.

Because if it could work for her, I'd love to get her desensitized to thunderstorms using the method as a helper, as I hate the idea of coddling her and telling her it's okay to be afraid (which had been done to her all her life before us). I don't like that in a dog. She takes all the fun out of sitting and listening to the storm overhead when she's freaking out. >> Even if it's only on a video game, she freaks out. *facepalm*

Invisible Citizen

Mistress of Rain

I highly doubt he'll ever be able to show a dog, at least with his training methods..
Anyhow my Beagle is currently intact, of course he will be neutered but there are a few things we need to buy beforehand.
My female Jack Russell is spayed so there's no real issue with him being intact.
I don't see much of an issue with having intact animals if you know the risks of it or plan on breeding.
So are you getting a male or a female poodle? o:

As for your thread, keeping it simple usually makes them look nice.
Threads look great with color schemes that have 3/4 colors, different size text (bigger text for titles, smaller for information), 'lists' and possibly a banner although not necessary.
For the lists I more or less mean using things like '✗' then listing information or whatnot. c:

8,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • First step to fame 200
Latrans
JosephineReally
Latrans
JosephineReally
Latrans
JosephineReally

Interesting! I thought I had already gone through the herding section but perhaps I just don't recall what I read since I'm going through the book sooooo slowly.

I can see her being mistaken for a GSD but a husky? I don't think huskies can even be that color and her face doesn't match up to a huskies. People are silly.

The full name (in the US) is the Belgian Tervuren. There's four breeds of Belgian in the US, one everywhere else. They're divided only by coat type and color. Long haired brown is the Tervuren, the long haired black is the Groenendael (Belgian Sheepdog in the US), the short haired brown is the Malinois, and the curly coated brown is the Laekenois.

Wiki.

If I decide to stick with Belgians, I might try a Laekenois for my next dog.
I do remember reading on them now! biggrin I remember thinking it was strange that there were four different dogs in one breed but I remember the pictures of them being really pretty.

The Laekonois is very interesting looking, not much like the other three from what I'm seeing in the book. Is there any specific reason why you're choosing that one? Just curious. 3nodding

I've always liked that coat type, but I really prefer herding dogs. They should basically be the same as the other Belgians, just in a different coat.

Of course, there are some slight generalizations that can be made (Mals tend to be harder and more 'on,' and can be really sharp dogs, while it's easier to find a mellow Terv), but overall they should be the same basic dog. Most people that are serious about the 'harder' sports like bite-work tend to get Mals, because the coat is easier.
Herding dogs are a lot of fun =) I'm not sure if I'll ever have the energy for one sadly (Though technically rotti's used to be herding dogs, lol).

I read in my book in some places they're considered different breeds but they seem to have a lot of similarities. Mal's coats are very pretty from the picture I'm looking at. Is it just easier because the hair is shorter? Sorry I don't know much about dog sports or how things play into them but I find myself becoming more interested in them.

Also, how is Elsie doing on her tracking? I haven't heard anything on it lately though I love it when you post training videos of her.

Elsie does require a lot of my time. I wouldn't be able to handle a low-energy dog, though. Zobby's slowness drives me bonkers.

It's my understanding that they're really only separate breeds in the US, and that everywhere else they're not--they're simply varieties. And yes, they're easier because the hair is shorter. The upkeep on a short coat is much easier than a long coat--they don't mat or tangle as easily. So it's just easier to keep the dog. Mals aren't shown in Conformation at the same frequencies as the other breeds/varieties, either, because they're not as flashy.

Elsie and I haven't been tracking in a couple weeks. D: We're supposed to go to a seminar in March, and now that I'm back in the groove, we're going to keep working. She is getting better so quickly.

Thanks--I've been sick, so the training we've been doing has been easy-on-me stuff.

I think I would do well with a moderate energy dog. One that likes to lay around but is cool with going on two to three mile walks.

Thanks for the information on that!

Ah no! I know what you mean by being sick and it sucks. That seminar sounds like fun and at least you're getting back in the groove of it. I've been trying to get better about working with my dogs cause there is no way I will be able to work with them this much when the next three months come to an end and they need to at least get their basic training down or at least calm down on command.

I'm taking Lacy over to my parents house this weekend and I'm going to work with her on socialization there so maybe I can her over barking at strangers. I think I'm just going to pass out treats to everyone she has a problem with in the house and every time she greets without barking or acting defensive I'll have them reward her. Of course, I'll have them make her sit first so maybe that will help her not get overexcited when someone has treats in their hands.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Prince Charmant
Mistress of Rain

I highly doubt he'll ever be able to show a dog, at least with his training methods..
Anyhow my Beagle is currently intact, of course he will be neutered but there are a few things we need to buy beforehand.
My female Jack Russell is spayed so there's no real issue with him being intact.
I don't see much of an issue with having intact animals if you know the risks of it or plan on breeding.
So are you getting a male or a female poodle? o:

As for your thread, keeping it simple usually makes them look nice.
Threads look great with color schemes that have 3/4 colors, different size text (bigger text for titles, smaller for information), 'lists' and possibly a banner although not necessary.
For the lists I more or less mean using things like '✗' then listing information or whatnot. c:

Right now since my friend only keeps females for her breeding program, I am leaning towards a male, though if I did get a female I know I would have all the stuff I need if I wanted to breed her... I just feel like I would be overly paranoid with an intact female. I feel like I wouldn't be as paranoid if I had a male. If i could choose a color: red, brown, apricot, or a black.... I like whites... but since I want to actually make the dog work.... I don't want to deal with them getting stains and always looking dirty XD

Invisible Citizen

Mistress of Rain
Right now since my friend only keeps females for her breeding program, I am leaning towards a male, though if I did get a female I know I would have all the stuff I need if I wanted to breed her... I just feel like I would be overly paranoid with an intact female. I feel like I wouldn't be as paranoid if I had a male. If i could choose a color: red, brown, apricot, or a black.... I like whites... but since I want to actually make the dog work.... I don't want to deal with them getting stains and always looking dirty XD

Ah, well with the males you don't have to worry about having some random dog coming along and thinking 'damn, hottie. /rape'. o;
I highly doubt dogs think that but it would be rather amusing if they did.
Anyway Apricot poodles are rather lovely looking, actually most of the colors are. c:
A white poodle rolling in mud, that would be just so shitty. .-.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Prince Charmant
Mistress of Rain

Ah, well with the males you don't have to worry about having some random dog coming along and thinking 'damn, hottie. /rape'. o;
I highly doubt dogs think that but it would be rather amusing if they did.
Anyway Apricot poodles are rather lovely looking, actually most of the colors are. c:
A white poodle rolling in mud, that would be just so shitty. .-.

And males I would assume that it wouldn't be to hard to kind of over ride his other head and go "NO fun times for you!" Though I probably wouldn't take him to a dog park... that I know would just be asking for trouble if some idiot though to bring an intact...in heat female. I think I would have to kill the person and then take their dog to the vet. My boy isn't going to have any fooling around unless I approve of his one night stand.

yes... and i have seen of how the white girls that my friend has will go in and get cleaned up... and then like a week later they look dirty again ><

The black poodles and the one brown she has all look really nice 100% of the time even when it is time for a clipping smile she just got one GORGOUS little apricot girl from this last litter... one of Shimmer's sisters. I know out of Pudding's last litter she had actually given birth to a RED girl (to their knowledge she wasn't suppose to produce reds).....she (Puddin') accidentally rolled on it and killed it....

Devoted Inquisitor

Eizoryu

Honestly, reading that, it seems full of jargon and not a lot of substance. I still don't know what they're actually talking about, since they don't explain it. To me, it looks like useless fluff.

Invisible Citizen

Mistress of Rain
And males I would assume that it wouldn't be to hard to kind of over ride his other head and go "NO fun times for you!" Though I probably wouldn't take him to a dog park... that I know would just be asking for trouble if some idiot though to bring an intact...in heat female. I think I would have to kill the person and then take their dog to the vet. My boy isn't going to have any fooling around unless I approve of his one night stand.

yes... and i have seen of how the white girls that my friend has will go in and get cleaned up... and then like a week later they look dirty again ><

The black poodles and the one brown she has all look really nice 100% of the time even when it is time for a clipping smile she just got one GORGOUS little apricot girl from this last litter... one of Shimmer's sisters. I know out of Pudding's last litter she had actually given birth to a RED girl (to their knowledge she wasn't suppose to produce reds).....she (Puddin') accidentally rolled on it and killed it....

Ah, well I don't take either of my dog to dog parks. I don't even bring them into pet shops due to my father having a fear of fleas coming into the house.
We definitely don't want to treat our whole house and all the animals, especially considering the fact we can't afford advantage right now.
Well I'm sure we could but you know we'd rather not have to spend a good $150+ to treat all the pets. D;
If someone brings an intact female to a dog park they really are idiots. l:

I'm lucky, with my dogs I rarely have to clean them. I would hate having to clean them every week or two. :c
How many white poodles does she have?

Have any pictures? ♥ Puppy pictures are always so adorable.
That's a bit upsetting she accidentally killed it, it happens though. .-.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff