Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Hunter

Most of you have already covered what I would say.

On here and IRL it bugs me that when people find out where I work suddenly everything I've told them, links Ive sent them to or other resources I've recommended become circumspect because I work in medical research. My job is to make sure the animals get the best care possible while they're there. Not torture them.

Devoted Inquisitor

Shearaha

On here and IRL it bugs me that when people find out where I work suddenly everything I've told them, links Ive sent them to or other resources I've recommended become circumspect because I work in medical research. My job is to make sure the animals get the best care possible while they're there. Not torture them.

How neat--what area do you work in, if you don't mind?

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Radpops
The biggest thing I hate about some posters in the forum is the large amount of spam that is produced. If a poster is misinformed or ignorant about something regarding owning pets, at least you have something to discuss with them.
We don't need 5 "wuts ur dream animal?" threads on the front page.
sweatdrop

this! im so sick of seeing these threads and the cats vs dogs threads and all the others like it. maybe its because im an uptight b***h who is used to being on animal forums where we dont get pointless spam like this but i hate seeing it.

and of course people who call some of the regs in here trolls because they dont sugar coat what they say or are telling the owner how to properly care for their animals

and people who refuse to use google. its an easy site to use, and its free! imagine that, a free site you can use to look up anything. its the age of the internet, im sorry, you dont have a good excuse for not knowing that your dog needs to eat meat or that your betta needs to have a heater and be in a proper sized tank

Salyana's Wife

Loving Lover

Shanna66
Radpops
The biggest thing I hate about some posters in the forum is the large amount of spam that is produced. If a poster is misinformed or ignorant about something regarding owning pets, at least you have something to discuss with them.
sweatdrop

this! im so sick of seeing these threads and the cats vs dogs threads and all the others like it. maybe its because im an uptight b***h who is used to being on animal forums where we dont get pointless spam like this but i hate seeing it.

and of course people who call some of the regs in here trolls because they dont sugar coat what they say or are telling the owner how to properly care for their animals

and people who refuse to use google. its an easy site to use, and its free! imagine that, a free site you can use to look up anything. its the age of the internet, im sorry, you dont have a good excuse for not knowing that your dog needs to eat meat or that your betta needs to have a heater and be in a proper sized tank

I think the forum needs a permanent place as a sub-forum of lifestyles, have decent moderator coverage, clean up the event announcement/stickies, and create a "cats vs dogs" "favorite animal" sort of stickies. Kind of like what they have in the entertainment forums.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Radpops
Shanna66
Radpops
sweatdrop

I think the forum needs a permanent place as a sub-forum of lifestyles, have decent moderator coverage, clean up the event announcement/stickies, and create a "cats vs dogs" "favorite animal" sort of stickies. Kind of like what they have in the entertainment forums.

hopefully it will sometime soon. i cant see them keeping pets in hot topics forever

Aged Hunter

Latrans
Shearaha

How neat--what area do you work in, if you don't mind?

I'm in Veterinary Services. I work for the facility rather then an individual. My responsibilities extend to every animal in my assigned facilities.
I do need to rely on the husbandry staff to help me do my job when it comes to the mice and rats. I could be in a room for half the day trying to check each animal. Whereas they are already seeing these animals every day and are supposed to alert me to sick/injured/not quite right critters.
Radpops

Even if there were stickies for the repeat threads, they'd still be created, because they're created by the people that don't even look at the other threads, just go straight for the 'create new thread' button (no 'proof' to back this up or anything, but if they were willing to post in already there threads there wouldn't be all the 'cats or dogs' threads, because there's enough about that in the stickies).

I also hate the people who bring up old threads without something useful to add to the topic (informational threads being bumped up so people see them being an exception).

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Shanna66
Radpops
Shanna66
Radpops
sweatdrop

hopefully it will sometime soon. i cant see them keeping pets in hot topics forever

hasn't it been over a year now that we have been a forum?

8,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • First step to fame 200
Latrans
JosephineReally
Latrans
JosephineReally
Latrans
JosephineReally
Ah, I misspelled it. Fail on me. I thought I maybe had it right but wasn't sure. Now that I think about it, I haven't come upon her breed in the dog bible yet. What type is she classified under?

Oh dear lord, how could he mistake her for a husky? Thats just.. I don't have a word to express the depths of my disappointment.

She's a herding dog. :]

I have no idea. I guess because she's fluffy? And she's... pointy?

Interesting! I thought I had already gone through the herding section but perhaps I just don't recall what I read since I'm going through the book sooooo slowly.

I can see her being mistaken for a GSD but a husky? I don't think huskies can even be that color and her face doesn't match up to a huskies. People are silly.

The full name (in the US) is the Belgian Tervuren. There's four breeds of Belgian in the US, one everywhere else. They're divided only by coat type and color. Long haired brown is the Tervuren, the long haired black is the Groenendael (Belgian Sheepdog in the US), the short haired brown is the Malinois, and the curly coated brown is the Laekenois.

Wiki.

If I decide to stick with Belgians, I might try a Laekenois for my next dog.
I do remember reading on them now! biggrin I remember thinking it was strange that there were four different dogs in one breed but I remember the pictures of them being really pretty.

The Laekonois is very interesting looking, not much like the other three from what I'm seeing in the book. Is there any specific reason why you're choosing that one? Just curious. 3nodding

I've always liked that coat type, but I really prefer herding dogs. They should basically be the same as the other Belgians, just in a different coat.

Of course, there are some slight generalizations that can be made (Mals tend to be harder and more 'on,' and can be really sharp dogs, while it's easier to find a mellow Terv), but overall they should be the same basic dog. Most people that are serious about the 'harder' sports like bite-work tend to get Mals, because the coat is easier.
Herding dogs are a lot of fun =) I'm not sure if I'll ever have the energy for one sadly (Though technically rotti's used to be herding dogs, lol).

I read in my book in some places they're considered different breeds but they seem to have a lot of similarities. Mal's coats are very pretty from the picture I'm looking at. Is it just easier because the hair is shorter? Sorry I don't know much about dog sports or how things play into them but I find myself becoming more interested in them.

Also, how is Elsie doing on her tracking? I haven't heard anything on it lately though I love it when you post training videos of her.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Mistress of Rain
Shanna66
Radpops
Shanna66
Radpops
sweatdrop

hasn't it been over a year now that we have been a forum?

lol dont ask me, i have no sense of time. i cant even remember how old i am without putting too much thought into it

Anxious Shapeshifter

In general, I believe most pet owners shouldn't be allowed pets, from what I see where I live.

People pay massive money for expensive pets such as exotics or rare breeds, then quickly get bored of them. They dispose of pets like someone would used furniture or garbage, neglect, or abuse them.

I do not like people who have pets that should be collared and do not collar and ID them.

I do not like people who ignore or very rarely spend time with pets.

I do not like people who put animals in small cages for the entirety of their life with absolutely no mental stimulation.

I do not like people who leave pets outside unsupervised, even cats. I've had stray/roaming cats kill our pets, especially rabbits while we were supervising them in a large fenced area. (The hawks and wild predators are wary of humans, but the domestic and feral predators.. not so much. There is little hope even in an emergency vet's office for a pet with it's throat mangled.)

I do not like people who leave pets in complete solitude for the majority of the time.

I do not like people who breed their animals for profit, because "kittens/puppies/etc. are cute", because they just don't want to spay/neuter their animals. Our shelters are in terrible condition already.

I do not like people who do not provide necessary items for the animal.

I do not like people who impulsively buy animals without proper research.

I do not like people who do not take their pets for annual check-ups, vaccines, etc.

I do not like people who feel it's okay to let a pet die and just replace it, especially when something can be done to save it.

I do not like people walking their pet, and disregarding fecal droppings on other's property or public property.

I do not like people who leave small animals outside when there are predators. (My neighbor just lost ANOTHER teacup dog to the hawks. Some people never learn, and the price of ignorance is steep.)

There are many other things I dislike.

I do like owners who properly ID pets, keep them safe, meet their needs beyond the basic physical needs, keep their pets healthy and visit the vet to prevent future illness, do proper research, spay/neuter pets (unless a licensed breeder), and clean after them often... etc.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Zyuu

I do not like people who leave pets in complete solitude for the majority of the time.

May I ask what your definition of "Majority of the time" is.

AS a college student my schedule is never something that is set in stone, be it I'm wanting to be on campus longer to work on something, friends wanting to go see a movie, or someone wanting someone else to be around cause they are bored or the bf wants me to crash at his place (he is allergic to cats so sleeping every night would kill him.)

My gerbils are use to being in their cage and with a box they are as happy as can be. But Truthfully I would love to give them floor time at least once a day but sometimes it just CAN'T happen.

Ika on the other hand is normally locked within my room (though it has everything she needs water/toys/litter box) because I can't trust her around my gerbils since they are in a cage not a tank. And so far i can't leave her wandering since she does claw the couch once in a while even when I'm home. (couch isn't mine it is my land lord's). So on the high end of things she is sometimes left alone for close to a full day sometimes, if my roommate doesn't want to deal with her/have his bedroom door open to keep an eye on her.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Mistress of Rain
Zyuu

AS a college student my schedule is never something that is set in stone, be it I'm wanting to be on campus longer to work on something, friends wanting to go see a movie, or someone wanting someone else to be around cause they are bored or the bf wants me to crash at his place (he is allergic to cats so sleeping every night would kill him.)

My gerbils are use to being in their cage and with a box they are as happy as can be. But Truthfully I would love to give them floor time at least once a day but sometimes it just CAN'T happen.

Ika on the other hand is normally locked within my room (though it has everything she needs water/toys/litter box) because I can't trust her around my gerbils since they are in a cage not a tank. And so far i can't leave her wandering since she does claw the couch once in a while even when I'm home. (couch isn't mine it is my land lord's). So on the high end of things she is sometimes left alone for close to a full day sometimes, if my roommate doesn't want to deal with her/have his bedroom door open to keep an eye on her.

Just a guess, but she's probably referring to keeping animals lacking same-species companionship in solitude.
As for many non-dog/cat animals (actually, even cats can be sort of iffy as far as their enjoyment of human interaction), most of them do not care either way about human interaction as long as they're getting adequate same-species socialization. I know my finches wouldn't care if I lived or died as long as they kept getting food. They don't care no matter how little or more time I spend with them. Same with budgies- wouldn't care if I existed or not.
And that's the same for gerbils too, I'd guess. As long as they're in adequate groups and had their needs met, they'd be fine. Oh, they might enjoy interacting with their human companions, I don't know, but it probably isn't a huge part of their life.

I know dogs, and probably cats too, would be miserable if kept in solitude without human interaction, but if they had a same-species companion would tolerate it much better (not necessarily enjoy it- they're so domesticated- but they'd adapt).

Salyana's Wife

Loving Lover

Zyuu

I do not like people who leave pets outside unsupervised, even cats. I've had stray/roaming cats kill our pets, especially rabbits while we were supervising them in a large fenced area. (The hawks and wild predators are wary of humans, but the domestic and feral predators.. not so much. There is little hope even in an emergency vet's office for a pet with it's throat mangled.)

this times a million.
I don't know how anyone with half a brain would think that leaving their PREDATOR animal outside unsupervised/not on harness is EVER a good idea (exceptions might be farm or very large properties, but of course it depends). It does not make biological sense or common sense.
How can anyone be an animal lover and be too dense to understand basic animal instinct? cat_crying
edit: I know some cultures depend on feral/outdoor cats to control pests or whatnot, but I'm talking straight up negligent owners. If someone happened to have a stray or feral stumble upon your life journey and you are feeding it and make sure it's neutered, I'm cool with you too. I really hope not to offend well meaning people. XD

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Moth Feathers
Mistress of Rain
Zyuu

Just a guess, but she's probably referring to keeping animals lacking same-species companionship in solitude.
As for many non-dog/cat animals (actually, even cats can be sort of iffy as far as their enjoyment of human interaction), most of them do not care either way about human interaction as long as they're getting adequate same-species socialization. I know my finches wouldn't care if I lived or died as long as they kept getting food. They don't care no matter how little or more time I spend with them. Same with budgies- wouldn't care if I existed or not.
And that's the same for gerbils too, I'd guess. As long as they're in adequate groups and had their needs met, they'd be fine. Oh, they might enjoy interacting with their human companions, I don't know, but it probably isn't a huge part of their life.

I know dogs, and probably cats too, would be miserable if kept in solitude without human interaction, but if they had a same-species companion would tolerate it much better (not necessarily enjoy it- they're so domesticated- but they'd adapt).

Yeah the twins probably wouldn't care... though they do act a little differently depending on if i'm the main care giver or not... (or so the BF and cousin have told me)

But I wonder with Ika since I know it takes her about a year to warm up to another cat which even then she doesn't really care for.... but I do end up where i'm gone for a while, and thus her time alone is sometimes long depending on how "social" the other person wants to be with the animal, and since Ika is MINE I don't really go "if you are home you MUST let Ika out of my room and keep an eye on her."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff