Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Classes are almost over. Bought a bin yesterday along with a cheep little sodering iron. going to try and get pictures of this one progressing, while I make it. Will probably be a bin cage for CocoNut and ButterScotch.

Also probably have another person for the house, and her cats are at home so no pre meeting for ika. But I have my tax return and will be saving money to get a cat tree or two from ebay once I move.
Thinking of moving in with my brother at the start of next year because this town sucks, rather then waiting maybe for 2 years. Actual positive trainers rather then traditional? Agility? Beaches for Sparky to run along? Multiple pet stores to throw my money into? Heaps of walking tracks?
First I need to get Sparky to like my brothers dogs. He only likes one of them, I need to get them to stay for a night or two so I can take Sparky on a few walks with them and he has enough time to warm up to them more. Oh and I need to keep working on getting Sparky to like car rides, as it will take at least 3 hours to drive there.

But I doubt my parents will let me until they are either ready to go on their little camper van adventure, or I'm 18 (another 19 months). And then I will probably be devastated to get rid of Deedee (ok, so she will just be staying with my parents, and she has always been a family dog but still).

In other news I FINALLY picked up a treat bag for walks. Took me long enough, but I have it now, and it's pretty awesome.

EDIT: Parents said I CAN move at the end of the year if I want! Have to talk to my brother and his gf, but they have wanted me to move in with them forever so it should go over well. I just have to make sure Sparky is ok with their dogs first... and make sure I myself am ready to move...
How did this thread fall all the way back to page four? D=

Anyhow; guys, i'm trying to figure out Zoey's nutritional needs.
I feed Taste of the Wild. I order it through one of our suppliers.

But, her poop. It's just like, not the way it should be. You know, formed and all. I shan't go into detail unless need be. And she just has terrible gas all the time!
She doesn't get table scraps. She gets bones to chew on/antlers. Sometimes she gets treats, not too often. She's treat oriented but not so much that she really cares a lot if she gets them or not. (Most of the treats are also grain free)

So, i'm curious if i'm doing something wrong. I read that if their poop isn't formed it's because they don't digest all the nutrients they need to. Should I put her on the puppy formula that TOTW has?
http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/ Here's the lineup of their products. I switch flavors randomly to keep them interested in the food. I think she's eating pacific stream right now.

I read once before that puppy formulas are just a marketing gimmick. But now i'm really curious? She is four months old and about fifteen pounds now.

Devoted Inquisitor

Morphine Kiss

I'd try switching her food.

I fed Elsie a puppy formula until she was 6 months old, I think. She needed the extra calories--she got that, plus an egg, plus yogurt on each meal. None of the puppies in her litter would gain weight correctly on adult food. My breeder normally just feeds adult food to her pups, but this litter was large and weedy, and they needed the extra fat and protein.

That said, the other thing that really, really helped Elsie's poops was probiotics. My vet said to get the ones formulated for dogs, not people, because they really are different. He said yogurt (plain, no sugar) helps, but dog probiotics are better--different, dog specific bacteria.
Latrans
Morphine Kiss

I fed Elsie a puppy formula until she was 6 months old, I think. She needed the extra calories--she got that, plus an egg, plus yogurt on each meal. None of the puppies in her litter would gain weight correctly on adult food. My breeder normally just feeds adult food to her pups, but this litter was large and weedy, and they needed the extra fat and protein.

That said, the other thing that really, really helped Elsie's poops was probiotics. My vet said to get the ones formulated for dogs, not people, because they really are different. He said yogurt (plain, no sugar) helps, but dog probiotics are better--different, dog specific bacteria.

Thanks smile I'm putting in my order for food tomorrow, going to make sure they have the puppy formula and if not i'll just stop by tractor/supply on my way home.

The Vet said Zoey looks really healthy, but I can't help but feel another pound on her wouldn't hurt. She's growing really quickly, like a little beanstalk. I think she was 8.9 lbs when we got her. I know to be careful though with not making her chunky or any of that, and besides, no one likes chunk on a dog of course. =3

I'll also try giving her an egg too, do you hardboil them/give shell and all? Or raw egg?

I think Zoey's only from a litter of 4, but there's no telling if there had been more, seeing as they were all starved/in horrid conditions. (Her 4th sibling finally got a permanent home by the way!)

She's doing so well, I just want to be very careful with her especially while she's growing. I know growing up is a crucial time for dogs.

Devoted Inquisitor

Morphine Kiss
Latrans
Morphine Kiss

Thanks smile I'm putting in my order for food tomorrow, going to make sure they have the puppy formula and if not i'll just stop by tractor/supply on my way home.

The Vet said Zoey looks really healthy, but I can't help but feel another pound on her wouldn't hurt. She's growing really quickly, like a little beanstalk. I think she was 8.9 lbs when we got her. I know to be careful though with not making her chunky or any of that, and besides, no one likes chunk on a dog of course. =3

I'll also try giving her an egg too, do you hardboil them/give shell and all? Or raw egg?

I think Zoey's only from a litter of 4, but there's no telling if there had been more, seeing as they were all starved/in horrid conditions. (Her 4th sibling finally got a permanent home by the way!)

She's doing so well, I just want to be very careful with her especially while she's growing. I know growing up is a crucial time for dogs.

Do you have new pictures of her? <3

My dad's Zoey is a total chunkmonster. She's such a fatty, relative to Elsie. Elsie was 8.something when she was 8 weeks old. How old is your Zoey now?

I poach them in the microwave, until the whites are mostly cooked and the yolk is raw. She doesn't like the shell--sometimes I give it to her to play with, sometimes I crush some into her food, but not usually.

I'm glad to hear it--are you going to be able to stay in contact with them?

This might be of interest to you.

Aged Hunter

Finally have a minute to post.

Morphine, are you gradually switching between the flavors? Sometimes switching formulas within the same brand can cause loose stools as well, since the primary protein is changing.

On my end had a great weekend auditing a seminar by Shade Whitesel. In hindsight I think Will may have been able to cope with a working spot, but I wasn't driving and I wasn't asking the person I rode with (she has no relationship with Will) to take him in her car. That would have been enough to put him over threshold. I took a lot of good info and ideas away from the seminar and am looking forward to the next seminar going on at the facility. I'll be going with my mentor, and Will loves her, so I'm debating getting a working spot and taking him with. If he's not going to be up for it I can always take her (mentor) up on her offer of one of her dogs. Not sure yet, I also don't know if there's any working spots left anyway sweatdrop

Also when I got home form work yesterday Hubby informed me that he and MIL decided to let Will out in the backyard with MILs two dogs. Will has had supervised play sessions with Jack, but Pheonix is very particular and will give a correction to any dog that pushes her boundaries. I haven't put her and Will together because I wasn't sure how Will would react to one of Phe's corrections. So Hubby and MIL put all 3 dogs outside and STAY INSIDE and watch them through the window gonk
Apparently Will took Phe's correction pretty well and went and played with Jack. Later Phe initiated play with both of the boys and corrected Will again when he got too rough with her. Both times Will backed down and went and did something else.
Another reason play sessions have always been supervised with Will dragging his leash is that he can get too exuberant. To bring him back down he has to come out of play for 30-60 sec. He's been getting better about calling out of play, but he's only about 70% reliable.
Apparently with 2 dogs to play with he didn't go over the top with either one. I wish they had taped it for me so that I wasn't depending on what they think they saw and could see for myself. Hubby isn't very good at reading canine body language, and MIL is decent, but has a bit of a blind eye where Phe is concerned sweatdrop

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
so there is an update on my project I want to do... cause I basically just got some one to go.... plan for X animal... and so I'm really in a hyperactive geeking mood so yeah!!! I'm off to campus to hunt down my professor and prod at him.
Latrans

Do you have new pictures of her? <3

My dad's Zoey is a total chunkmonster. She's such a fatty, relative to Elsie. Elsie was 8.something when she was 8 weeks old. How old is your Zoey now?

I poach them in the microwave, until the whites are mostly cooked and the yolk is raw. She doesn't like the shell--sometimes I give it to her to play with, sometimes I crush some into her food, but not usually.

I'm glad to hear it--are you going to be able to stay in contact with them?

This might be of interest to you.

Well, the person has facebook, but she lives a town over. So there won't be any play dates or anything. She seems pretty much like she doesn't use facebook either. I talked to her a few times on there but not always easy to get ahold of sadly. The person who kept her is actually the 2nd foster home we found for her. They ended up falling in love. Hopefully it's a forever home. xD

Yes! I do~ I was waiting till today to reply so I could upload the photos and such. Had to find my memory card. xD
Here is a video of Molly, the chihuahua, and zoey playing. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150753772109643
Up until Zoey came along, molly has never played with dogs, or toys. She just sleeps. Hates walks with a passion. Just wants to sleep all the time. But now it's like she's a puppy! It's amazing.

Click Chewing on the antler.

Click Dramatic playing with Puppy. They're best friends now. She follows him everywhere. And actually it's handy for me because when I tell puppy to do something, like say, Sit, she just picks up what he's doing/what I tell/and she does it too. It's a win win situation. And now that Zoey is around, well his aggression was going extinct before with items, it's purely extinct now. No more issues what so ever.

That article gives me a lot of insight actually, just sort of proves what my assumptions had been. Interestingly enough, seeing as she was born outside and not in a kennel and such, perhaps it's a benefit. I wonder if nutrition will have any detrimental effect later in life, and what the shepherd x lab mix will do exactly to her. I know they both have issues on both sides.
We didn't really walk her a lot until recently, she had her last round of shots this week. Just trying to be safe because parvo has been an issue in my town before. We walked, but, tried not to walk a ton (Unlike that walk attempt we made when we realized the park wasn't a block over, but almost a mile, ha)

It's not clear on her birth date, I was vaguely told January. So I have to make up a date from there lol. But for all I know, she could have been much younger than they said just to get rid of the dogs.

Dapper Werewolf

I donated a bunch of home made treats to a local animal rescue group today and all the dogs loved them 4laugh

Devoted Inquisitor

Morphine Kiss

Well, the person has facebook, but she lives a town over. So there won't be any play dates or anything. She seems pretty much like she doesn't use facebook either. I talked to her a few times on there but not always easy to get ahold of sadly. The person who kept her is actually the 2nd foster home we found for her. They ended up falling in love. Hopefully it's a forever home. xD

Yes! I do~ I was waiting till today to reply so I could upload the photos and such. Had to find my memory card. xD
Here is a video of Molly, the chihuahua, and zoey playing. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150753772109643
Up until Zoey came along, molly has never played with dogs, or toys. She just sleeps. Hates walks with a passion. Just wants to sleep all the time. But now it's like she's a puppy! It's amazing.

Click Chewing on the antler.

Click Dramatic playing with Puppy. They're best friends now. She follows him everywhere. And actually it's handy for me because when I tell puppy to do something, like say, Sit, she just picks up what he's doing/what I tell/and she does it too. It's a win win situation. And now that Zoey is around, well his aggression was going extinct before with items, it's purely extinct now. No more issues what so ever.

That article gives me a lot of insight actually, just sort of proves what my assumptions had been. Interestingly enough, seeing as she was born outside and not in a kennel and such, perhaps it's a benefit. I wonder if nutrition will have any detrimental effect later in life, and what the shepherd x lab mix will do exactly to her. I know they both have issues on both sides.
We didn't really walk her a lot until recently, she had her last round of shots this week. Just trying to be safe because parvo has been an issue in my town before. We walked, but, tried not to walk a ton (Unlike that walk attempt we made when we realized the park wasn't a block over, but almost a mile, ha)

It's not clear on her birth date, I was vaguely told January. So I have to make up a date from there lol. But for all I know, she could have been much younger than they said just to get rid of the dogs.

gonk She's too cute. Puppy!

It's too bad you won't be getting pictures of the siblings. I love seeing Elsie's relatives. It's one of my favorite parts of having a breeder-dog.

My dad's Zoey picks up so much from Elsie, it's crazy. She watches us doing stuff and is like WHAT YOU MEAN THE HUMANS ARE ACTUALLY TRYING TO COMMUNICATE? CRA-ZAAY.

She's like 4 months old? Or younger? Or maybe you don't know, lol. Because a mile isn't that far, especially at a slow pace like a walk. Elsie was going ~3 miles at 4 months no problem. And she was racing around like a loon the whole time. lol I'm used to really high energy, up dogs, though.

I really don't think it's possible to hurt puppies over 4/5 months old by walking them too far. Running/jogging/jumping, yes, but a slow paced walk isn't going to do harm, especially if they're setting the pace.

Devoted Inquisitor

Oh, and I have an interview at a big box pet store for a dog training position soon. We'll see how that goes.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
I love Payton. I really do. But there are days that I just want to strangle him!

Today during Rally training he flat out decided to ignore me, to make me have to tell him to sit twice, to spend more time sniffing at the floor than looking at me. Even our instructor thought he was trying to mess with my head, and she never thinks dogs try that! Our last run I had him on a very short leash, short enough he couldn't bend his head down to sniff at every little thing, and half way through our 5 sign run he finally decided that he could actually pay attention...

He's also decided that tunnels are kennels, so he'll run right into one, only to turn around and look at me instead of going all the way through. Our teacher loaned us her tunnel for the week, and we've got him going through finally, so I'll keep working with that!

Teacup Agility trials are in 2.5 weeks. Our second ever rally trials are in 3.5. Maybe it's all just a dress rehearsal?

Devoted Inquisitor

My interview went well. We'll see if I get hired.

Payton Leeroy

Elsie does that to me sometimes. I just very deliberately put everything away and give her 5 minutes. I hope Payton gets his act together.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
I get to hunt down my professor to see if I can start my research on Sugers. Really want to know so i can get back to them... and so I can start my planning...really don't want to pull my hair out over this project... but can already see some issues that are going to pop up.

Latrans
My interview went well. We'll see if I get hired. .

Hope it went well too.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces