Welcome to Gaia! ::

Morphine Kiss
Anyhow, is there anything I can give her to help this? I know to let her drink water so she doesn't get dehydrated.

To help with the poop issue, you can try canned pumpkin (pure, not pie filling). I make sure to keep some in my freezer (freeze it in an icecube tray and then store in a baggy/container - conveniently ready to go/sized chunks that way - a can lasts way too long for one bout of issue) incase they have any sort of digestive issue, basically (I use it when they're pukey, too).
Plus, she's absolutely adorable.

At least it's more likely than not the Beneful-of-crap, so once it's out of her system (should be by tonight) she should be better.
She's doing a hundred times better. I was freaking out so much earlier .-.
I'm going to get some pumpkin, though. As I am slightly worried that can happen again, the diarrhea, not the eating of the beneful lol. I read online that puppies get diarrhea easily. =/

So anyhow today is rest day for Zoey, she can watch me clean pet cages today. No running around or puppy parties like we have been doing.
I bought her a harness that i'm sure she'll grow out of but then my chihuahuas can use it after that. Also got some more dog shampoo, and some treats for training, and a new set of nail clippers.
Both diarrhea and puke are bound to happen. If you don't already, make sure you get a good stain-and-enzyme remover, too.
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Both diarrhea and puke are bound to happen. If you don't already, make sure you get a good stain-and-enzyme remover, too.

I was using Kids and Pets in combination with Mean Green, which I still do/have, but, we bought a "little green machine" carpet cleaner a month or two ago, and then the day we got her we actually bought a heavy duty carpet cleaning machine/full size.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Yogurt can help keep the poopy butts away too. The dogs I dogsat for a while had NASTY butts, but now their owners give them yogurt and it's cleared up nicely!
Well it's a good thing my husband likes plain yogurt (as I assume it has to be?) because they can share it. xD

Anyhow guys, now pops the question:
What's your opinion of when you should spay a dog? I have heard many answers to this. I'm thinking I want to wait until she's about a year old or so.

Oh and, her poop has returned back to mostly normal. Later last night I started giving her a little bit of food and this morning she had a nice regular meal =) And then tried to consume everything else in her sight. Ohhh she will learn that the kitties do not share food in this house.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Morphine Kiss

What's your opinion of when you should spay a dog? I have heard many answers to this. I'm thinking I want to wait until she's about a year old or so.

If I had a dog I would only spay after the first heat, maybe even wait as long as after the second heat.

I really don't like when people solely use age to time their animal's spay since dog breeds are so diverse, they sexually mature at different times. Smaller dogs mature more quickly than bigger dogs, for example. If you go by their heats then you get a pretty spot-on indication of when they're ready.
Moth Feathers
Morphine Kiss

If I had a dog I would only spay after the first heat, maybe even wait as long as after the second heat.

I really don't like when people use the age to time their animal's spay since dog breeds are so diverse, they sexually mature at different times. Smaller dogs mature more quickly than bigger dogs, for example. If you go by their heats then you get a pretty spot-on indication of when they're ready.

Well, i'm learning about pups as I go of course as i've always only had older dogs. But, I was told by my vet she should go into at least one heat by about a year old, so that's why I give a rough age estimate there.

What's your opinion on males and when to neuter? My friend who adopted two of the siblings, we've been learning together. xD And she has a male and a female.

I want to be as careful as possible. I know that poorly bred dogs can be a ticking time bomb, so i'm taking every little precaution possible. Already have her on partial raw (Along with my other dogs) and TOTW.

Oh by the way, we're buying another house, so guess what this means? Aviary. <3 I'd actually like to make an outdoor aviary for the summer time! I'm all too excited. Ziggy and Zaggy will have so much fun!

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Morphine Kiss
Moth Feathers
Morphine Kiss

I really don't like when people use the age to time their animal's spay since dog breeds are so diverse, they sexually mature at different times. Smaller dogs mature more quickly than bigger dogs, for example. If you go by their heats then you get a pretty spot-on indication of when they're ready.

Well, i'm learning about pups as I go of course as i've always only had older dogs. But, I was told by my vet she should go into at least one heat by about a year old, so that's why I give a rough age estimate there.

What's your opinion on males and when to neuter? My friend who adopted two of the siblings, we've been learning together. xD And she has a male and a female.

I want to be as careful as possible. I know that poorly bred dogs can be a ticking time bomb, so i'm taking every little precaution possible. Already have her on partial raw (Along with my other dogs) and TOTW.

Oh by the way, we're buying another house, so guess what this means? Aviary. <3 I'd actually like to make an outdoor aviary for the summer time! I'm all too excited. Ziggy and Zaggy will have so much fun!

Based on the literature I've read, I wouldn't neuter a male dog unless he was pretty incorrigible. It seems to offer sparse health benefits for them, while for females it offers a lot (female cats and dogs are designed to become pregnant after every heat, and when that naturally doesn't happen, it often leads to things like mammary tumors and such. Just not ideal).

Oh man, that's awesome!
You are going to have so much fun with them being in an aviary, I guarantee it. There's nothing like walking into their cage and having them inches in front of you, no wire separating or anything!
I've noticed aviary finches are remarkably tame in comparison to their caged counterparts.

And, if you get an aviary, you could get some other species. =o Maybe you could get some owls or some shafttails? Or maybe Gouldians.

If it's outside, you could get button quail too. They are soo tiny but adorable.
You could also put some diamond doves in with the finches!

So many possibilities with an outdoor aviary, it's lovely.
Moth Feathers
Morphine Kiss
Moth Feathers
Morphine Kiss

Based on the literature I've read, I wouldn't neuter a male dog unless he was pretty incorrigible. It seems to offer sparse health benefits for them, while for females it offers a lot (female cats and dogs are designed to become pregnant after every heat, and when that naturally doesn't happen, it often leads to things like mammary tumors and such. Just not ideal).

Oh man, that's awesome!
You are going to have so much fun with them being in an aviary, I guarantee it. There's nothing like walking into their cage and having them inches in front of you, no wire separating or anything!
I've noticed aviary finches are remarkably tame in comparison to their caged counterparts.

And, if you get an aviary, you could get some other species. =o Maybe you could get some owls or some shafttails? Or maybe Gouldians.

If it's outside, you could get button quail too. They are soo tiny but adorable.
You could also put some diamond doves in with the finches!

So many possibilities with an outdoor aviary, it's lovely.

Sadly I have to be very careful with what I choose, as we do get winter here. Spring-Summer-Fall is always wonderful. But about 3 months of winter (Though this year it didn't really get that cold what so ever, and not really any snow to speak of) so i'd have to bring them inside. I'd hate to see them cramped inside for too long.
I've seen button quail on the list! They -are- cute.

If I got something more I think i'd aim for Owls though. I'd love hearing their noises. I think i'd see myself aiming for what noise they make as opposed to looks. I love how gouldians look, though by all means.

My boys have really gotten beautiful. There's a bird that lives in a tree near my house that comes up to the window a lot and chirps at them. When I come home/drive up, they start peeping and tweeting like mad. I always keep the window open for them now. <3

I think i'm going to build my aviary myself. That way, it will be how I want it to be. After I really start getting this whole house thing into motion ill be making some plans for it. There's a house next door to my husband's mother that we're looking at. If we get it, we'd like to fence in both of our yards combined, so our chihuahuas can go back and forth as they please. I gave her Zeus, after having been begged forever by her. He technically lived there since we got him as was. (Because I got him before I married my husband/he lived with my husband who lived with his mom/then I moved in there for a while) Soo yeah, but he still comes to visit quite often and spend the night.

I'd really like to build a guinea pig/rabbit run as well for summertime play during the day (Technically i'd like one my rats could use too) The yard for the house we're looking at by itself is pretty big.

I love making things. <3 It's scary at first, though. very nerve racking till I actually manage to do it.

Anyhow on the neutering, I got my cocker neutered. He was a horrid marker, and if he smelled a female in heat he would run off. Now he stays in the yard with me, and doesn't mark. **Zeus had to be neutered via surgery because his balls didn't drop right. I always forget he is a boy too, ha

I also worried too about testicular cancer, and my old vet encouraged neutering in the first place. I know my friend is set on getting Bandit neutered, though.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Morphine Kiss
Sadly I have to be very careful with what I choose, as we do get winter here. Spring-Summer-Fall is always wonderful. But about 3 months of winter (Though this year it didn't really get that cold what so ever, and not really any snow to speak of) so i'd have to bring them inside. I'd hate to see them cramped inside for too long.
I've seen button quail on the list! They -are- cute.

If I got something more I think i'd aim for Owls though. I'd love hearing their noises. I think i'd see myself aiming for what noise they make as opposed to looks. I love how gouldians look, though by all means.

My boys have really gotten beautiful. There's a bird that lives in a tree near my house that comes up to the window a lot and chirps at them. When I come home/drive up, they start peeping and tweeting like mad. I always keep the window open for them now. <3

I think i'm going to build my aviary myself. That way, it will be how I want it to be. After I really start getting this whole house thing into motion ill be making some plans for it. There's a house next door to my husband's mother that we're looking at. If we get it, we'd like to fence in both of our yards combined, so our chihuahuas can go back and forth as they please. I gave her Zeus, after having been begged forever by her. He technically lived there since we got him as was. (Because I got him before I married my husband/he lived with my husband who lived with his mom/then I moved in there for a while) Soo yeah, but he still comes to visit quite often and spend the night.

I'd really like to build a guinea pig/rabbit run as well for summertime play during the day (Technically i'd like one my rats could use too) The yard for the house we're looking at by itself is pretty big.

I love making things. <3 It's scary at first, though. very nerve racking till I actually manage to do it.

Anyhow on the neutering, I got my cocker neutered. He was a horrid marker, and if he smelled a female in heat he would run off. Now he stays in the yard with me, and doesn't mark. **Zeus had to be neutered via surgery because his balls didn't drop right. I always forget he is a boy too, ha

I also worried too about testicular cancer, and my old vet encouraged neutering in the first place. I know my friend is set on getting Bandit neutered, though.

Yeah, if a dog was giving me problems with stuff like that and he wasn't neutered, I would try neutering to see if it'd help.

Owls make the cutest sounds of any finch. I was at a bird show and the little boogers, they actually mewed. Now, they're really tiny so it's quiet, but oh my you can still hear it, and it makes you want to die of the cuteness.

Building things is pretty intimidating for me too. I always feel so nervous and inexperienced and awkward while trying to build something. But for some reason I'm always drawn back to it. I just love designing the layout of cages and such.

I've always wondered about possibly having an indoor/outdoor aviary. Like build an outdoor aviary next to a window, and build an indoor aviary on the other side of the window, then just keep the window open all the time so the birds can come and go as they please. That way you could herd them inside at night if you'd wish, or if it gets too cold easily move them from outdoors to indoors.
I don't know how practical that is though, but it sure sounds pretty cool.

You still have your anoles, right? Man, I think it would be great if you could build a little sunning cage for them so they could get some UVB outside. Would be so great.

Oh! And speaking about how beautiful your finchies are. I recently took some pictures of mine for school, they came out really well, I'm going to upload them and show you all!
I wouldn't spay until she's gone through a heat or two/is around full grown.
I wouldn't neuter until full grown or close to.

I believe they can start reproducing as young as about 4 months

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Finch photos.

User Image

The girlies were so cooperative. All except for Fluff, my CFW hen, who didn't want to get in front of the branches for a proper photo. I eventually got her though.

User Image

User Image
User Image
User Image

My CFW boys kept getting in like nearly all the pictures. What happened to my normal babies? Alas.
Anyway, when you look at those pictures, study the CFWs' expressions. It is fascinating.

User Image
I really like this picture, because you see a lot. To the side is a little plastic dish and you see a finch head sticking out- that's Squeak, and that's his little hideaway place.
User Image
User Image
Moth Feathers

Yeah, if a dog was giving me problems with stuff like that and he wasn't neutered, I would try neutering to see if it'd help.

Owls make the cutest sounds of any finch. I was at a bird show and the little boogers, they actually mewed. Now, they're really tiny so it's quiet, but oh my you can still hear it, and it makes you want to die of the cuteness.

Building things is pretty intimidating for me too. I always feel so nervous and inexperienced and awkward while trying to build something. But for some reason I'm always drawn back to it. I just love designing the layout of cages and such.

I've always wondered about possibly having an indoor/outdoor aviary. Like build an outdoor aviary next to a window, and build an indoor aviary on the other side of the window, then just keep the window open all the time so the birds can come and go as they please. That way you could herd them inside at night if you'd wish, or if it gets too cold easily move them from outdoors to indoors.
I don't know how practical that is though, but it sure sounds pretty cool.

You still have your anoles, right? Man, I think it would be great if you could build a little sunning cage for them so they could get some UVB outside. Would be so great.

Oh! And speaking about how beautiful your finchies are. I recently took some pictures of mine for school, they came out really well, I'm going to upload them and show you all!

Yes! The meow is what gets me! <3 I think it'd be great. <3

I've taken a hand in making paludariums now. I have started my first one last week. It's still scary, each step I take! But i'm getting there.

Indoor/outdoor would be really neat. I couldn't see any real issues with it except maybe upkeep on the house or depending how you make it, insulating windows to keep things warm.

Yep! Still have my anoles! Actually I also have blue anoles in there now (Anolis Roquet) and a fire skink. My older brother gave me a big tank so I put it to use. xD Everyone's doing wonderfully. I even have a live plant that's thrived for nearly a year now. Even when I took it out and my cats ate some of it. xD

Your finches are all too gorgeous. <3 They have so much character. xD What's that stuff in that white bowl?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff