Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
MlizGr
Mistress of Rain
thought of something else that annoys me! people that think that everything bad their pet does can will have a simple 3 min fix.....

Also Kipluck this thread wasn't made because of him... it was jsut made since many regs started to get bitched at and what not so this is our "safe" place it seems now, and we can have our "off topic" conversations here with out getting people up set that they keep getting updates on their threads with people talking.

Psh, I'm loving the update reminders, even if I had to take a long time to catch up with everything on this thread! Yay for a safe place! Though it is open to everyone really. I don't see the point in blocking people unless they are spamming.

Pets are not computers or cars... They're living things, and it's awfully hard to just take one bit out and put something else in to make it do what you want...

smile I know others can read what we say, but so far they have been good not really coming in here and bugging us...*shrug*

And yeah...

Aged Hunter

Latrans
Shearaha
So it's the start of the new school year and with it comes the arrival of the animal rights and veggie extremist propaganda. I picked up 3 different flyers today all extolling how terrible we all are for eating meat and 2 on how bad keeping pets of any kind is. All of which uses photos from the 70s and inaccurate "facts" about food production and pet keeping. Honestly I'm surprised that I haven't found any of the usual "animal research is torture" flyers yet.

But it is! They made me spend four hours this afternoon measuring fish lengths... hundreds of them! It's so tedious!

... or, did you mean for the animals? wink

Ha, I knew someone would get in on the joke! I gotta say it's nice not being the only person in research on the forums.

Side note. Anyone know anything about breeding Otocinclus? It's recently come to my attention that my favorite algae eating schoolers are primarily wild caught, which means my 4 likely are too. So I'm thinking about trying to do some breeding with them.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Shearaha
Latrans
Shearaha
So it's the start of the new school year and with it comes the arrival of the animal rights and veggie extremist propaganda. I picked up 3 different flyers today all extolling how terrible we all are for eating meat and 2 on how bad keeping pets of any kind is. All of which uses photos from the 70s and inaccurate "facts" about food production and pet keeping. Honestly I'm surprised that I haven't found any of the usual "animal research is torture" flyers yet.

But it is! They made me spend four hours this afternoon measuring fish lengths... hundreds of them! It's so tedious!

Ha, I knew someone would get in on the joke! I gotta say it's nice not being the only person in research on the forums.

Side note. Anyone know anything about breeding Otocinclus? It's recently come to my attention that my favorite algae eating schoolers are primarily wild caught, which means my 4 likely are too. So I'm thinking about trying to do some breeding with them.

I know it isn't the same, but I have started seeing that October is Vegetarian awareness month....made me want to contact them to see if they knew when Ominivore awareness month is....

and nope no clue on breeding fish.... perhaps some wild studies have been on on them?

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
eek I am going to get my first foster kittens tomorrow! Exciting!

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
terradi

fun! I know it is always close to impossible but don't get to attached smile

Sparkly Gekko

7,225 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Shearaha
Latrans
Shearaha

Oto collection

If you check youtube for oto breeding there are some vids.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Mistress of Rain
terradi

It helps to know that I'm only keeping them for a week while they rest and recover from being picked up from the evacuation zone. They're headed back to the shelter near me once they're a bit healthier. They're coming to me specifically because in my place they won't be able to run around much and they'll have to get rest they so desperately need.

The shelter they'd be staying at normally had an outbreak of parvo, so they're not taking in new boarders until they are damn sure that there will not be any more issues. I'm the last resort, pretty much. As I've been since ... maybe April when I first got a kitten cage from the shelter. I don't think they were planning on pulling me in. Wouldn't. But ... lack of choices. I plan to spam their adorable faces all over the internet until someone falls in love with them and adopts them.

I have my shelter kitties picked out. I just need to have a really good home for them that is not under construction.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
terradi
Mistress of Rain
terradi

It helps to know that I'm only keeping them for a week while they rest and recover from being picked up from the evacuation zone. They're headed back to the shelter near me once they're a bit healthier. They're coming to me specifically because in my place they won't be able to run around much and they'll have to get rest they so desperately need.

The shelter they'd be staying at normally had an outbreak of parvo, so they're not taking in new boarders until they are damn sure that there will not be any more issues. I'm the last resort, pretty much. As I've been since ... maybe April when I first got a kitten cage from the shelter. I don't think they were planning on pulling me in. Wouldn't. But ... lack of choices. I plan to spam their adorable faces all over the internet until someone falls in love with them and adopts them.

I have my shelter kitties picked out. I just need to have a really good home for them that is not under construction.

can kittens get parvo? I thought it was a dog illness...or do they just not want anything coming in that the virus can hang on to?

though I do hope that someone does fall in love with them smile

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Mistress of Rain
can kittens get parvo? I thought it was a dog illness...or do they just not want anything coming in that the virus can hang on to?

Cats can get it, though it's not common in the wild. The (government-run, kill shelter) animal shelter that they picked up cats from is the likely candidate. The (no-kill Fukushima branch) shelter lost a couple of kittens to it a few months back right about the same time that they accepted a few from the kill-shelter.

I haven't seen the kittens yet but they range from six weeks to ten weeks. I'm the photographer for the group ... a position I mostly fell into by accident, but which was needed to show people that we're actually rescuing kitties, not just taking donations. I'm optimistic. I know I know someone who wants a cat. Hoping that they'll be convinced they want one of these cats.

Aged Hunter

ladycrotalus
Shearaha
Latrans
Shearaha

Oto collection

I knew someone would be awesome enough to point me in the right direction!

Now to see if this idea is even plausable...

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
terradi
Mistress of Rain

Cats can get it, though it's not common in the wild. The (*edit* government-run, kill) animal shelter that they picked up cats from is the likely candidate. They lost a couple of kittens to it a few months back.

I haven't seen the kittens yet but they range from six weeks to ten weeks. I'm the photographer for the group ... a position I mostly fell into by accident, but which was needed to show people that we're actually rescuing kitties, not just taking donations. I'm optimistic. I know I know someone who wants a cat. Hoping that they'll be convinced they want one of these cats.

I see, I learned something new today.

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Eizoryu

And now for rantiness.
Something else that bugs me is that, whenever someone breeds an animal, they think they're experts on the whole trade. Same thing that Nilla said, but because of a different reason. Like people who breed bettas but take s**t care of their breeders and fry/don't set their tanks up properly. I'm sorry, but since when does breeding bettas mean you know anything about taking care of other fish when you keep them in tiny-a** cups? And since when does it make your word worth anything? Especially when it comes to advising others on their first tanks and others have already given advice to shoot yours to the ground? One-day cycle my a**... <-- I just lectured someone over that.

Edit: To end on a better note, has anyone else with fish just let your hand/arm stay in the tank for a moment while you're in the middle of doing something to the decorations? Do your fish come up and n** at you when you do?
I was just planting my new wisteria in my 20, and the danios decided to come up and see if I was an eatable. It tickles! The barbs were mostly sleeping in their plastic fern like usual, but woke up and the smallest green one decided to taste my pinkie finger. xD I just thought I'd share that. I thought it was cute. They're definitely not afraid of my arm for very long.

Srsly! Breeding certainly does not make you an expert, people breed fish every day, lol. Woo! My endler dropped fry, I'm now an expert on endler's 8 ) Just kidding.

My Keyhole Cichlid used to come up to my hand when I siphon the tank. He probably thought I had food, since I used to have to hand feed certain tank residents. Fish can beg too! Lol.

Sparkly Gekko

7,225 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Shearaha
ladycrotalus
Shearaha
Latrans
Shearaha

Oto collection

I knew someone would be awesome enough to point me in the right direction!

Now to see if this idea is even plausable...

Found this site if you haven't already, it has articles on breeding.
http://www.otocinclus.com/

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Mistress of Rain
I see, I learned something new today.

I seem to learn new things about cats every week. I still have three videos I'm borrowing that I need to watch on cat care and kitten care. One of the newer bits of information I've learned is that some cats have very poor grooming skills when it comes to their chins. If they don't get groomed by other cats and don't have humans to help them get at the impacted dirt, it forms irritable bumps, kind of like the kitty equivalent of acne. We have a couple of cats with this issue at the shelter. I sat down on Monday with one of our older cats who just does not groom and got most of the grit off of his chin. I'm sure it feels better, but it wasn't pleasant for him while I was doing it. Need to start making a point to sit down with him for half an hour each week and just focus on grooming him and cleaning him because he can't.
Poor baby. He's such a darling. If he wasn't FIV+ ... though maybe even if he wasn't ... I mean, who wants to take in and old, rough-and-tumble looking male cat?

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Vanilla eXee

Srsly! Breeding certainly does not make you an expert, people breed fish every day, lol. Woo! My endler dropped fry, I'm now an expert on endler's 8 ) Just kidding.

My Keyhole Cichlid used to come up to my hand when I siphon the tank. He probably thought I had food, since I used to have to hand feed certain tank residents. Fish can beg too! Lol.

Yes jsut someone randomly breeding the critters doesn't make them experts. I have to say though... I would go to a breeder and ask questions about a small rodent than just going to a random vet and asking questions... ninja

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff