Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Citizen

Morphine Kiss

Were they better when they started? :/ Anyhow hopefully they do get shut down, I'm sure you'll mention it if they do. ♥
That's excellent your sister in law and her friend will be opening up a pet shop, I'm sure they'll take much better care than the majority of stores.

Seriously? l: Has she talked to them yet today? That's ridiculous that they would go back on their word although rather expected as well.
Does the store even get much business? I highly doubt anyone would miss it if it was burned down. o; Of course with all the animals taken out first..

Even if you have made progress you definitely should take pictures of the place anyway.

Well the store I gladly support uses pine however I don't really believe it's much of an issue.
Usually the pets are sold within a week, their new shipment comes in and it's just a cycle.
Although I believe they have an 'in store' breeder, at least for their dumbo rats and maybe some of the standards.
I've never come across a terrible pet store here although not much of a fan of the one on our main street. :/
Although I went in there once and they had these little orange-ish rodents, gerbil size, tails like a gerbil but much longer faces.
I have no idea what they were but they were so cute and it was the first time I've ever seen anything like them.
Anyhow yay, pet discrimination. o; Why doesn't she at least change them to aspen shavings?
They're cheaper than carefresh but (I'd assume) better than corncob?

Ah, well I don't know much about iguana's.. What vegetables do they typically eat?
Anyhow they're probably wasting money if it won't eat any/much of those vegetables..
It would make sense for them to change to what they actually should eat. :/

I hope they do, they definitely deserve a better living condition. :c
Hopefully their condition isn't too terrible if you do get them.
I actually may be getting some Budgies relatively soon, my father was talking to me about it last night. c:

I wish our minimum wage was whatever yours is and we got your prices. o;
I mean $10.25 is great but we also apparently pay much more for certain things.

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
DeeSpark
Where is the husky thread?

Gah, you know what pisses me off? I know way more about guinea pigs then my friends. But one of them thinks she is an expert because she has so many. She just leaves her to breed, outside in a cage not big enough for them all, does not interract with them and they are always dying. Yet the one who brings them inside and gives them proper food and bedding and care is just a 'dumbass'

Whenever someone has a pet, they think they're an expert, even if they haven't actually done the research to back it up. Isn't this the same friend you got your babies from? Too bad she won't listen to you and at the very least, stop breeding her piggies.
Prince Charmant
Morphine Kiss

Were they better when they started? :/ Anyhow hopefully they do get shut down, I'm sure you'll mention it if they do. ♥
That's excellent your sister in law and her friend will be opening up a pet shop, I'm sure they'll take much better care than the majority of stores.

Seriously? l: Has she talked to them yet today? That's ridiculous that they would go back on their word although rather expected as well.
Does the store even get much business? I highly doubt anyone would miss it if it was burned down. o; Of course with all the animals taken out first..

Even if you have made progress you definitely should take pictures of the place anyway.

Well the store I gladly support uses pine however I don't really believe it's much of an issue.
Usually the pets are sold within a week, their new shipment comes in and it's just a cycle.
Although I believe they have an 'in store' breeder, at least for their dumbo rats and maybe some of the standards.
I've never come across a terrible pet store here although not much of a fan of the one on our main street. :/
Although I went in there once and they had these little orange-ish rodents, gerbil size, tails like a gerbil but much longer faces.
I have no idea what they were but they were so cute and it was the first time I've ever seen anything like them.
Anyhow yay, pet discrimination. o; Why doesn't she at least change them to aspen shavings?

Ah, well I don't know much about iguana's.. What vegetables do they typically eat?
Anyhow they're probably wasting money if it won't eat any/much of those vegetables..

I actually may be getting some Budgies relatively soon, my father was talking to me about it last night. c:

Agh I had a nice reply, switched to another tab, and I exited this one on accident D:
So now i'm going to kind of give a shorty reply to what I had .-.

Gliders were goners this morning. Sister in law got ahold of some people and they're being reported big time. She's got local Vets and humane society in on it.
And the shop always gave hints that it'd be pretty crappy. I've been in there a total of 3 or 4 times. Usually whenever I go up to visit family or i'm getting my nephew for an undetermined amount of time, I stop in. I like visiting other shops a lot xD

Was it a Jerboa or a Kangaroo mouse you saw!? If so i'm 100% jealous. .-.

Boss hates Aspen because it only comes in "Big chips" and she likes the fine sawdustness of pine. She wouldn't even use it on the mice when someone gave it to us for free D=
I guess she cares because it's the only thing she cleans, is all the mouse bins and what not. Sometimes I do it, but I usually run out of time before I can get to them with all the stuff I do.

-Has your budgie thread open in another tab about to post in it xD

Invisible Citizen

Morphine Kiss
Agh I had a nice reply, switched to another tab, and I exited this one on accident D:

Gliders were goners this morning. Sister in law got ahold of some people and they're being reported big time. She's got local Vets and humane society in on it.
And the shop always gave hints that it'd be pretty crappy. I've been in there a total of 3 or 4 times. Usually whenever I go up to visit family or i'm getting my nephew for an undetermined amount of time, I stop in. I like visiting other shops a lot xD

Boss hates Aspen because it only comes in "Big chips" and she likes the fine sawdustness of pine. She wouldn't even use it on the mice when someone gave it to us for free D=
I guess she cares because it's the only thing she cleans, is all the mouse bins and what not. Sometimes I do it, but I usually run out of time before I can get to them with all the stuff I do.

That's okay, happens to me all the time. o;

Oh? Well that could be a good thing or they're hiding them somewhere. :c
That's good she's gotten people in on it and they're doing something, hopefully they're closed down. l:
How do the owners treat the potential customers? I don't think I'd ever visit a shop like theirs more than once by what you've said.

It kind of looked like these kangaroo mice except the face was a bit leaner.
It probably was some sort of mouse, they definitely had the face shape of one.

My recent bag of Aspen I accidentally got the wrong one but they aren't even really chips at all. o.o
What's so wrong with big chips anyway? My rats didn't seem to mind it much. o:
I guess I could see the chips possibly cutting newborn rodents although that's the only flaw I see?

Anyway okay. ;D
Morphine Kiss
Moth Feathers
I dislike when I'm blocked for no reason.

I can understand if you want to block me if I somehow said something that you disagree with (though I only understand why you'd want to- not that I necessarily agree with it. I have never, ever blocked anyone- not on this site nor others- because I think it's best to work out issues rather than ignore them) but I recently posted on a thread asking how to stack dogs, since the OP was interested in showing, and got blocked. Lovely.
Don't feel alone, Mliz. ^^

You know if he's blocking regulars/or even the ever so often passerby for asking a question, can this really be considered an informational thread? He isn't sticking to the duty of what we've created in informational threads..

Perhaps we should talk to Kip and explain situation. Because informational threads are there to help people...

I bet if I went in and asked an honest question he'd just block me too. =/ I stay away from his thread because he refuses to accept any view but his own, and he asks for help to improve, ignores the people, and apparently now blocks them!

SO, here is the story on The Husky Thread DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA... Not a shocker, Don Sol 01 does not accept PMs so what I wanted to deal with politely and privately... I had to air like dirty laundry on the thread. We will see how that plays out. My prediction? It will not go well. Basically I asked if the blockings had any real reasoning behind them and if not would they please stop or do I need to remove it from the Betterment and Education list. Well, you can read what I said here. But the thing is I am not a site mod. Pretty much all I can do is remove the link. Not exactly cold justice. But it's better than nothing, right? And if he? she? is really such an issue that there has to be a whole 10 page thread just to b***h (pardon my language) about her/him, I don't want to promote that on the Betterment thread. That's kookoopants. I love you people!!!

Latrans
JosephineReally
Latrans
JosephineReally
Latrans

Yeah, she's a Tervuren. He thought she was a husky, though, which means he should not be breeding huskies.
Ah, I misspelled it. Fail on me. I thought I maybe had it right but wasn't sure. Now that I think about it, I haven't come upon her breed in the dog bible yet. What type is she classified under?

Oh dear lord, how could he mistake her for a husky? Thats just.. I don't have a word to express the depths of my disappointment.

She's a herding dog. :]

I have no idea. I guess because she's fluffy? And she's... pointy?

Interesting! I thought I had already gone through the herding section but perhaps I just don't recall what I read since I'm going through the book sooooo slowly.

I can see her being mistaken for a GSD but a husky? I don't think huskies can even be that color and her face doesn't match up to a huskies. People are silly.

The full name (in the US) is the Belgian Tervuren. There's four breeds of Belgian in the US, one everywhere else. They're divided only by coat type and color. Long haired brown is the Tervuren, the long haired black is the Groenendael (Belgian Sheepdog in the US), the short haired brown is the Malinois, and the curly coated brown is the Laekenois.

Wiki.

If I decide to stick with Belgians, I might try a Laekenois for my next dog.
So, we totally covered Belgian Tervurens in my vet tech classes! I admit I don't blame those who thought GSD because before my class that's what I would have thought for sure. BEAUTIFUL dog.

Morphine Kiss
Oh on an interesting note:
Went to my Mother in Law's house today because she's cleaning out the closet and had some of our blankets. I was looking in the closet and noticed a "Star Wars Science Kit" and I was like "Why do you have that...?" And she told me it was suppose to be last year xmas gift for my brother in law's son, that he's never met before, and they lost contact with them so they never got the presents. So she's like "You want it?" I'm like "Sure" and then I got it done and to my discovery..

It's a Triop Kit!!! =D
Triops!!!! Fun!

Morphine Kiss
Moth Feathers

How is corn cob better than pine?

I know for birds, it's the absolutely WORST thing you can put them on. It's nasty. Molds too easily- like literally in less than a day- and can cause aspergillosis because of it. Alex the African Grey got aspergillosis when one day his wood shavings was replaced with corn cob. And if a bird was to swallow it then the corn cob just stays in the crop and expands, rather than passing through unharmed, and crop impaction is never good.

I would have thought it would mean the same thing for small mammals too?

If it were my choice, everyone furry in the shop would be on Care Fresh.
I chose Corn Cob over the Pine because of the lesser chance of respiratory infection in general. We haven't had any problems with molding, and nothing was changed the week (Sunday-Tuesday) That i'd been gone either, lovely going back to clean all of that, but the worst problem I ran into was finding flies around. But, normally i'm in there cleaning constantly. I spot clean daily and change cages every few days. Which would be compared to the daily change of pine. When we were using pine too, we ended up with a crap ton of respiratory infections in the rats we were getting in. And we can't exactly (Morally speaking) sell sick rats for feeders. Health has improved drastically.

I know a lot of laboratories use corn cob, i'm assuming because it's cheap.

Just grabbing from Ratguide.com,
"When wet, corncob bedding tends to rot and grow mold causing an unpleasant odor and an increase in bacteria within the animals environment. If you opt to use corn cob on the cage bottom then keep in mind that it has to be changed often. Corn Cob is best used in the litter box itself."

Which I mean, corncob isn't something i'd personally use either. I know with small pets too, impaction is a possibility.

Honestly, in the shop, I feel a little bit helpless sometimes. And the reason is: I want to control a little more of what's going on. Bedding, Food, Information given...so on and so forth. I guess i'm just glad I do have some say in things, as opposed to if I worked at say, petsmart/co/land.
Honestly, I am ALL about CareFresh. The gliders and Chinchilla get carefresh. The lizards get paper towels, the hermit crabs get sand and tortoise gets sand mixed with eco-earth.

~ Aki - Fairy ~
11 Cardinal 11
Don't they make potato flour as well?

There are more flour options than you'd believe.

In gluten free, off the top of my head, there's:
Rice, Potato, Oat, Almond, Coconut, Corn... and I'm sure I'm missing some..
I have Gastroparesis, not Celiac BUT sometimes the non-wheat options are easier for me (I also can't eat meat, raw veggies, fruit, etc, or fiber. I HATE GASTROPARESIS) My favorite non-flour option is Tapioca flour. Made from Yucca plant. It is SOOOO yummy in Brazilian cheese rolls. Dang I want some NOW.

Morphine Kiss
Prince Charmant
Morphine Kiss

Goners? I am so sorry!

So things that bug me about pet owners... OH so many.
1. People who have, like 3 little turtles in a 20 gallon tank and have no thought for where they will live when they get big.
2. "I feed my sugar glider fruit loops/bread/a vegetarian diet/humming bird nectar and they are just fine!"
3. "you should let your pet go! it should live in the wild!" (yeah, because releasing a captive born, non-native exotic pet who has never had to catch their own food into the wild is SOOOO humane and responsible.)

Devoted Inquisitor

Kipluck
So, we totally covered Belgian Tervurens in my vet tech classes! I admit I don't blame those who thought GSD because before my class that's what I would have thought for sure. BEAUTIFUL dog.

Thank you!

What did they say about them in the vet tech class? I'm dying to know!

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
thought of something else that annoys me! people that think that everything bad their pet does can will have a simple 3 min fix.....

Also Kipluck this thread wasn't made because of him... it was jsut made since many regs started to get bitched at and what not so this is our "safe" place it seems now, and we can have our "off topic" conversations here with out getting people up set that they keep getting updates on their threads with people talking.

9,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
Kipluck
SO, here is the story on The Husky Thread DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA... Not a shocker, Don Sol 01 does not accept PMs so what I wanted to deal with politely and privately... I had to air like dirty laundry on the thread. We will see how that plays out. My prediction? It will not go well. Basically I asked if the blockings had any real reasoning behind them and if not would they please stop or do I need to remove it from the Betterment and Education list. Well, you can read what I said here. But the thing is I am not a site mod. Pretty much all I can do is remove the link. Not exactly cold justice. But it's better than nothing, right? And if he? she? is really such an issue that there has to be a whole 10 page thread just to b***h (pardon my language) about her/him, I don't want to promote that on the Betterment thread. That's kookoopants. I love you people!!!

To be honest, we DID b***h about him for a few pages, however someone reminded us that we could get the thread shut down/get ourselves banned, and stopped and returned to just chatting away. sweatdrop
But. the thread wasn't directed towards him.

(EDIT: Rain beat me. >< wink

Aged Hunter

So it's the start of the new school year and with it comes the arrival of the animal rights and veggie extremist propaganda. I picked up 3 different flyers today all extolling how terrible we all are for eating meat and 2 on how bad keeping pets of any kind is. All of which uses photos from the 70s and inaccurate "facts" about food production and pet keeping. Honestly I'm surprised that I haven't found any of the usual "animal research is torture" flyers yet.

Devoted Inquisitor

Shearaha
So it's the start of the new school year and with it comes the arrival of the animal rights and veggie extremist propaganda. I picked up 3 different flyers today all extolling how terrible we all are for eating meat and 2 on how bad keeping pets of any kind is. All of which uses photos from the 70s and inaccurate "facts" about food production and pet keeping. Honestly I'm surprised that I haven't found any of the usual "animal research is torture" flyers yet.

But it is! They made me spend four hours this afternoon measuring fish lengths... hundreds of them! It's so tedious!

... or, did you mean for the animals? wink

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Latrans
Shearaha

But it is! They made me spend four hours this afternoon measuring fish lengths... hundreds of them! It's so tedious!

... or, did you mean for the animals? wink

xd
I suppose you could be contributing to inferiority complexes if you're explaining to some fish that they're too small.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Mistress of Rain
thought of something else that annoys me! people that think that everything bad their pet does can will have a simple 3 min fix.....

Also Kipluck this thread wasn't made because of him... it was jsut made since many regs started to get bitched at and what not so this is our "safe" place it seems now, and we can have our "off topic" conversations here with out getting people up set that they keep getting updates on their threads with people talking.

Psh, I'm loving the update reminders, even if I had to take a long time to catch up with everything on this thread! Yay for a safe place! Though it is open to everyone really. I don't see the point in blocking people unless they are spamming.

Pets are not computers or cars... They're living things, and it's awfully hard to just take one bit out and put something else in to make it do what you want...

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Vanilla eXee
Whenever someone has a pet, they think they're an expert, even if they haven't actually done the research to back it up. Isn't this the same friend you got your babies from? Too bad she won't listen to you and at the very least, stop breeding her piggies.

Indeed ... seems like the more you know, the more you realize you never knew. I am learning so much about cats from volunteering at a shelter. It's amazing. I didn't even realize how many different illnesses and ailments I was unaware of.

Slightly unrelated -- going out cat trapping on Sunday night. I have two traps, hoping to catch the youngest kitten and bring it in for possible socialization. It can't be much more than two months old, which makes it young enough that we ought to be able to make it friendly towards people. Hopeful! The others are old enough for spay/neuter, and because these are kitties in my neighborhood (and likely from the place that my semi-feral came from) it'll be a huge help to the neighborhood, I hope.
Mistress of Rain
awww it was a roving tom.... he needs to meet a nice indoor kitty...hell I'm pretty sure right now he can come over and pick up Ika no issues... cause she has let others do it now.

I don't know... if i did a harness/dress (posted a topic a while ago on it... also posted it in the halloween thread) she would probably act like she doesn't want to move and crawl... if i did the wings and tutu... I may be bleeding..... and might not get sleep for a while XD or she could be completely docile...
He does. I keep telling him that he would have liked my Shadow. And I swear, every time I find a cat whose personality almost matches what hers used to be (e.g. Sebastian at work), I can't have them! ;-; Now, I doubt Sebby fetches and boings around like she did since she was a Manx and he's not, but he's just so sweet and shy and loving that.... Well, I get the Do Wants. Bad. Like, worse than when I saw those black lace HMRT and platinum white HM roundtail bettas about a month ago. And those were bad.
I feel sorry for Sebby, though. He's got some ear issues going on. I can't rub them like I do for some of the other cats because he starts scratching like mad. I reckon he's got buildup in them or something. The Hills' they all eat doesn't help, either. Every time I or someone goes to pet him he flattens his ears. I know that he's not being a brat or anything, he just doesn't like his ears being messed with because they bug him. But other people (and this is prolly why he's still there) who don't *get* cats prolly think he's being a snotty douche.

xD That all sounds like it's worth a shot, doesn't it? I get an image of Ika that matches that of Allie's GSD in her blog post "Dogs Don't Understand Basic Concepts Like Moving" on Hyperbole and a Half. Just "*flop* Why do you do this to me?" That is, if she went the sulky route.

You'll have to let us know what she does when you try! =D

And now for rantiness.
Something else that bugs me is that, whenever someone breeds an animal, they think they're experts on the whole trade. Same thing that Nilla said, but because of a different reason. Like people who breed bettas but take s**t care of their breeders and fry/don't set their tanks up properly. I'm sorry, but since when does breeding bettas mean you know anything about taking care of other fish when you keep them in tiny-a** cups? And since when does it make your word worth anything? Especially when it comes to advising others on their first tanks and others have already given advice to shoot yours to the ground? One-day cycle my a**... <-- I just lectured someone over that.

Edit: To end on a better note, has anyone else with fish just let your hand/arm stay in the tank for a moment while you're in the middle of doing something to the decorations? Do your fish come up and n** at you when you do?
I was just planting my new wisteria in my 20, and the danios decided to come up and see if I was an eatable. It tickles! The barbs were mostly sleeping in their plastic fern like usual, but woke up and the smallest green one decided to taste my pinkie finger. xD I just thought I'd share that. I thought it was cute. They're definitely not afraid of my arm for very long.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Eizoryu
Mistress of Rain
awww it was a roving tom.... he needs to meet a nice indoor kitty...hell I'm pretty sure right now he can come over and pick up Ika no issues... cause she has let others do it now.

I don't know... if i did a harness/dress (posted a topic a while ago on it... also posted it in the halloween thread) she would probably act like she doesn't want to move and crawl... if i did the wings and tutu... I may be bleeding..... and might not get sleep for a while XD or she could be completely docile...
He does. I keep telling him that he would have liked my Shadow. And I swear, every time I find a cat whose personality almost matches what hers used to be (e.g. Sebastian at work), I can't have them! ;-; Now, I doubt Sebby fetches and boings around like she did since she was a Manx and he's not, but he's just so sweet and shy and loving that.... Well, I get the Do Wants. Bad. Like, worse than when I saw those black lace HMRT and platinum white HM roundtail bettas about a month ago. And those were bad.
I feel sorry for Sebby, though. He's got some ear issues going on. I can't rub them like I do for some of the other cats because he starts scratching like mad. I reckon he's got buildup in them or something. The Hills' they all eat doesn't help, either. Every time I or someone goes to pet him he flattens his ears. I know that he's not being a brat or anything, he just doesn't like his ears being messed with because they bug him. But other people (and this is prolly why he's still there) who don't *get* cats prolly think he's being a snotty douche.

xD That all sounds like it's worth a shot, doesn't it? I get an image of Ika that matches that of Allie's GSD in her blog post "Dogs Don't Understand Basic Concepts Like Moving" on Hyperbole and a Half. Just "*flop* Why do you do this to me?" That is, if she went the sulky route.

You'll have to let us know what she does when you try! =D

And now for rantiness.
Something else that bugs me is that, whenever someone breeds an animal, they think they're experts on the whole trade. Same thing that Nilla said, but because of a different reason. Like people who breed bettas but take s**t care of their breeders and fry/don't set their tanks up properly. I'm sorry, but since when does breeding bettas mean you know anything about taking care of other fish when you keep them in tiny-a** cups? And since when does it make your word worth anything? Especially when it comes to advising others on their first tanks and others have already given advice to shoot yours to the ground? One-day cycle my a**... <-- I just lectured someone over that.

Edit: To end on a better note, has anyone else with fish just let your hand/arm stay in the tank for a moment while you're in the middle of doing something to the decorations? Do your fish come up and n** at you when you do?
I was just planting my new wisteria in my 20, and the danios decided to come up and see if I was an eatable. It tickles! The barbs were mostly sleeping in their plastic fern like usual, but woke up and the smallest green one decided to taste my pinkie finger. xD I just thought I'd share that. I thought it was cute. They're definitely not afraid of my arm for very long.

I will I will, smile

little rant on pet peeve: oh I had someone saying gerbils and hamsters were "basically the same thing" to me yesterday or the day before, while I was giving out some gerbil info. It is a pet peeve so I had to bite, and told the differences...at least some of them. and she pulled the "I'd rather believe a vet, than some stranger" and "I wouldn't talk to any one other than the vet" <---this last part is just the feeling I go from keeping talking to her, since I told her that I would rather talk to people that have done their research on the animal and have been breeding them so long that they know what they are doing. I'm just not biting anymore and focusing on the happy part of the thread.... another gerbil lover...with gerbils currently smile *does happy dance*
/rant

and now i'm off to class.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas