Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Millionaire

I was just wondering for all you cat owners who suffer from a cat who loves to take his/her lovely time in the litterbox. My cat does this, and I'm not sure why. The litterbox is in the living room and every now and then she'll take 15+ minutes in the litterbox scratching away constantly. I've taken her to the vet and he said she's in excellent health. I thought maybe she was doing this to get my attention when she's hungry, but I'll get up and her food bowl will be full and water bowl be fresh. If she's wanting to get my attention, she's going it in a very weird way because when she does it and she hears me get up, she'll dart out of the litter box and run somewhere and won't come near me, and then run back to the litterbox when I sit back down again.

Anyone else's cat do this? confused
I have no idea why your cat does that. My cat does something similar...

Our litter box is in the spare room and Jasper will do his business and then scratch the lid, opening, and side of the box like he's digging at it for about five minutes. It's really annoying. At first we thought it was because he felt cramped so we got him a super jumbo box/tried having the lid off and that didn't help. Using a clumping litter helped a little but not a whole bunch.

He tries to bury his vomit pretty excessively though, too. If it doesn't get cleaned up right away he digs at the floor for a few minutes.

Feline Fairy

Is the box covered?
How much privacy does she have?
What kind of litter do you use?
How do you feed her (schedule/free-feed, kibble or wet)?

Feline Fairy

Marquess de Sade

Our litter box is in the spare room and Jasper will do his business and then scratch the lid, opening, and side of the box like he's digging at it for about five minutes. It's really annoying. At first we thought it was because he felt cramped so we got him a super jumbo box/tried having the lid off and that didn't help. Using a clumping litter helped a little but not a whole bunch.

He tries to bury his vomit pretty excessively though, too. If it doesn't get cleaned up right away he digs at the floor for a few minutes.

In that kind of case I'd consider trying a different sort of litter, and maybe adding another inch - he may feel that it's getting stuck in his paws (hence scratching the surrounding area), and if he likes having his leavings covered he may feel there's not enough.
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Marquess de Sade

In that kind of case I'd consider trying a different sort of litter, and maybe adding another inch - he may feel that it's getting stuck in his paws (hence scratching the surrounding area), and if he likes having his leavings covered he may feel there's not enough.

We've tried just about everything. His litter is very deep and is kept very clean. Both cats are very particular about the kind of litter and basic clumping litter works for both of them, it seems.

Personally I think his excessive burying/hiding is left over from his bad time as a kitten. His owners were not very good, to say the least. He had the smallest cheapest litter box and it never had any litter in it but he'd get yelled at if he went on the floor. So he buries and hides things a lot and is always very ashamed of his vomit in particular. I've just assumed it's a quirk I have to live with and it's easy enough to tune out.

Devoted Raider

7,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Ika takes her time burying her stuff, but I've come to ignore it for the most part. Only other weird thing she does in the box is while she is burying it she will get out of the box as much as she can to keep burying it...buying a tote helped some since it is taller and I can add mroe litter, but she still will get out as much as possible to bury.

Dapper Millionaire

~ Aki - Fairy ~
Is the box covered?

The box is completely covered
She has this exact litter box
I used to have her use Tidy Cats, she did it back then, and I have her using these new odor killing blue crystal litter, I forget the name right now and I have the bags thrown out, and she still does it. She's also free-fed on dry food, and about once a day I'll mix some with wet in the evening.

Chatty Cat

11,350 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
In all seriousness, my cat will spend a good 10 min scraping the sides of her box trying to "cover" her buissness. I usually have to help along the process because I dont want to stand there and wait for her. Her box is uncovered in a large steralite container.

Cats sometimes just take extra long. Theyre finicky beasts of habit.
Actually, if your cat spends lots of time digging in the box and circling, this is a GOOD thing. All your cat is doing is going "hey this is mine, just gonna chillax for a bit and take my time doing my shizz"

If you cat was hopping in, squirting out their business and jumping out super fast, THEN I'd be worried, because it means he's not comfortable in his own spaces.

Dapper Millionaire

Punkin Avis
In all seriousness, my cat will spend a good 10 min scraping the sides of her box trying to "cover" her buissness. I usually have to help along the process because I dont want to stand there and wait for her. Her box is uncovered in a large steralite container.

The weird thing about all this is is normally she only takes less than 10 minutes whenever she does her business, but when she decides to take her time, if we even attempt to get off the couch to get a glass of water, or get up out of bed when she's doing it, she darts out of her box like her tail is on fire.

Chatty Cat

11,350 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
weeneez
Punkin Avis

The weird thing about all this is is normally she only takes less than 10 minutes whenever she does her business, but when she decides to take her time, if we even attempt to get off the couch to get a glass of water, or get up out of bed when she's doing it, she darts out of her box like her tail is on fire.
Freyja does this too. smile I think with the cover, she smells the smell of her waste constantly, so maybe she thinks she didnt cover it up? So she continues to dig?

Feline Fairy

weeneez
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Is the box covered?

The box is completely covered
She has this exact litter box
I used to have her use Tidy Cats, she did it back then, and I have her using these new odor killing blue crystal litter, I forget the name right now and I have the bags thrown out, and she still does it. She's also free-fed on dry food, and about once a day I'll mix some with wet in the evening.

Any way you could have an uncovered box somewhere more private?
I'd advise adding more water to her diet and switching her to scheduled feedings; regulating food intake will regulate waste output, and cats typically need moisture added to their food since they have low thirst drives. Perhaps give her a touch of pumpkin (or find a wet option that includes it to use for her daily wet for awhile), just to help make sure all's well as far as consistency goes.
weeneez
Punkin Avis

You mentioned she was mistreated as a kitten? Maybe she assumes you are getting.up to pop her.

Dapper Millionaire

Eckabeb
weeneez
Punkin Avis

You mentioned she was mistreated as a kitten? Maybe she assumes you are getting.up to pop her.

...I never said anything about her ever being mistreated confused
I've had her since she was 8 weeks old, and she never flinches or acts aggressive towards people, and never hisses or anything.
weeneez
Eckabeb

...I never said anything about her ever being mistreated confused
I've had her since she was 8 weeks old, and she never flinches or acts aggressive towards people, and never hisses or anything.

AH, sorry about that. I was at work and just reading through real quick -- I kind of mixed your post up with Marquess de Sade's post. D:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games