Total Votes:[ 67 ]
1 2 3 >

6,550 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬

Hello there!
Where do I begin? Im currently studying an animal management course with which I need to make a survey asking cat owners about the toys their cats are interested in and what other toys they have tried (homemade/catnip)
All you need to do is fill out the survey below and post it back on here!
Thank you so much!!!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

How many cats do you own?:
Cats name and age:
Are they an indoor or outdoor cat?:
Do they have a favourite toy? (Describe it – picture?):
Does your cat have a specific taste when it comes to toys? If so, what kind?:
Have you ever used handmade cat toys: (e.g. paper balls):
Have you ever tried using cat n** for your cat? (Either on toys or a blanket) Was there any reaction to the cat n**? :
When purchasing a toy for your cat, do you base the purchase on the look of the toy?:
What kind of enrichment have you previously provided for your cat? (not toys):
Are there any toys that your cat hates?:
Have you tried adding cat n** to any toys which your cat previously disliked? Any change?:
How much would you be willing to spend on a decent toy for your cat?:

If you have more than one cat, could you please pick one of them or even answer again! I could do with a load of answers! cat_whee
My cat (female, four years old, indoor only), likes soft toys and balls (brightly coloured ones "made" for small dogs) - things she can pick up with paws or mouth, throw around, chase, etc.. Medium/large dog toys are good on occasion as well, for mauling and kicking the stuffing out of. Sneak-attacking the dogs is also always fun.
She does not like bells. Crinkle sound is good. Squeakers are optional.
She thinks Kong catnip is great, doesn't care about the others she's been exposed to.
For wand toys, string-on-a-stick style goes over best.
Hairties are one of the best things ever, but because I don't want her in the habit of stealing mine, I made her some toys with them attached. She thinks they're amazing. Her favourite two are currently MIA though..; an example is in the spoiler below
User Image

Celestial Dog

How many cats do you own?: 2! Technically 3 but the other one is my sister's
Cats name and age: Jake and Piper, both 7.
Are they an indoor or outdoor cat?: Strictly indoors
Do they have a favourite toy? (Describe it – picture?): fuzzy pom pom toys!
Does your cat have a specific taste when it comes to toys? If so, what kind?: they pretty much don't care about anything unless it's a pompom or it moves on its own.
Have you ever used handmade cat toys: (e.g. paper balls): yup!
Have you ever tried using cat n** for your cat? (Either on toys or a blanket) Was there any reaction to the cat n**? : all the time, they love it.
When purchasing a toy for your cat, do you base the purchase on the look of the toy?: nah. I base it off what they've been known to like. the actual appearance of the toy doesn't matter to me.
What kind of enrichment have you previously provided for your cat? (not toys): lots of different places for them to hide/sit, lots of socialization, grooming... does this all count as enrichment? D:
Are there any toys that your cat hates?: plastic toys with bells inside.
Have you tried adding cat n** to any toys which your cat previously disliked? Any change?: NOPE they'll eat the n** and ignore the toy.
How much would you be willing to spend on a decent toy for your cat?: not much at all, but the toys they like are very cheap so that's not an issue for me.

Diamond Regular

I own two cats.

Cats name and age:
Pumpkin and Spice.
2 and 7 weeks (ish)

Both are exclusively indoor.

Pumpkin likes scratchers, she's not into toys.
Spice loves the teaser dangler toys with the feathers on the end of the string.

Pumpkin likes plastic bags. But I don't know if that's a toy thing. She just eats them.
Spice loves things that move in front of her. Just everything. She's a curious kitten.

Yes. They work pretty well and our dog is less likely to eat them. lol.

Have you ever tried using cat n** for your cat? (Either on toys or a blanket) Was there any reaction to the cat n**? :
Tried cat n** on Pumpkin, she was actually NOT interested, at all.
Spice hasn't tried cat n**.

When purchasing a toy for your cat, do you base the purchase on the look of the toy?:
No, not really. I guess it just needs to look interesting.

Cat towers, beds, etc. Nothing super enriching to be completely honest.

HATES anything that moves really quickly. She will run.
Doesn't seem to dislike anything but the dog right now. Haha.

Have you tried adding cat n** to any toys which your cat previously disliked? Any change?:
No change.

Depends on the quality and type of toy.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
ill only fill this out for my youngest cat since for the most part she is the only one who plays with toys

Cats name and age:
Gale

indoor. i take them outside on leashes sometimes

feather wands

something that makes noise and can be carried

all the time

she has only recently started to enjoy catnip. she is only a year though. my other 2 go nuts for it and will roll on anything that has catnip

sometimes, but for the most part i just buy whatever looks fun

high places to sit, a raw diet, places to hide, and a whode bedroom complete with a full sized bed just for them

she doesnt really hate any of her toys, but she has stopped playing with her teddy bear that she got when she was brought to the shelter i used to work at

no i havent tried that

if its something really fun that she wont break i would be willing to spend $30 or maybe even more on a toy. Gale is really rough with her toys though so i usually stick with cheaper toys since i need to replace or fix most of her toys fairly often

6,550 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
If you know of anyone who owns a cat/cats please ask them to help out!
Thank you so much for helping out already, it means a lot to me!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Time-traveling Trader

I used to have 3 but I recently loss 2 of my cats to illness.

Cats name and age:
Kami 10yrs old, Seth 10yrs old, & Ryuu 8yrs old

Indoors only *x*)m

They go nuts for anything made of paper. I did buy one of those toys that looks like a cattail plant and they like it fine as well.

I fold them origami using post-it notes. They're absolutely vicious with the paper cranes. I think the size and shape mimics insects and small prey. I tie a long string to it to make it move around for them or I simply flick it across the floor.

Yes. They were curious and licking may have been involved. Nothing too crazy like what I expected though.

Never was attracted to buy them toys hehe *shifty eyes*

Lots of space to run and hide in. And an old stool that they can claw up. They're also trained to sit in a number of specific areas only to prevent damage.

My older bro tried to buy them toys one time and I've observed that they'll investigate things with sounds (nothing too loud). They didn't like the heavier toys; much preferring items they can swat with their paws.

Never tried. =v=)

If I see something I actually think they'll like as much as paper and boxes then I wouldn't mind buying it even if it's pricey.

6,550 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Bump!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Shy Gekko

8,400 Points
  • Lapin Patrol Chad: Victory! 50
  • Lapin Patrol Kastra: Victory! 250
  • Egg Collector 100
*One.
*Tohbi, one and a half.
*Indoor. (He is deaf)
*A colourful pompom cluster I made with feathers sticking out of it. He carries the pompom one around. My husband even got him to fetch it and bring it back 3 times in a row the other day.
*Anything on a string attached to a stick that we can play chase with.
*Most of our toys are homemade.
*He shows no interest in store bought catnip infused toys.
*Sometimes but mainly look for something he will react to.
*Cat tree. High places. Tried to fence the garage door so he could watch outside and relax with some sun and fresh air. He loved it but the wire we had was too flimsy so we took it down for now until we can afford better fencing.
*Not that he hates. Just ones that he doesn't show interest in.
*No I haven't but he hasn't seemed interested in catnip infused toys in the past. I do plan on trying fresh catnip soon though.
*Under $10. We bought a $35 toy once (a senses ball track thing) and he didn't quite understand it so we gave that to an animal shelter. He likes homemade toys much better.

Purified Shounen

How many cats do you own?: Technically, five. Three at home and two on their way.

Cats name and age: Leo, 7. Rum Tum Tugger, 1. Munkustrap, 6 months. Sylar, 3 months. Spock, 3 months.

Are they an indoor or outdoor cat?: All are/will be indoor-outdoor cats. They have a cat run to play in.

Do they have a favourite toy? (Describe it – picture?): Leo likes string. Rum Tum Tugger is in love with straws. Munkustrap likes toilet rolls. Unsure about Sylar and Spock until they arrive.

Does your cat have a specific taste when it comes to toys? If so, what kind?: As above.

Have you ever used handmade cat toys: (e.g. paper balls): No need to.

Have you ever tried using cat n** for your cat? (Either on toys or a blanket) Was there any reaction to the cat n**?: No and no.

When purchasing a toy for your cat, do you base the purchase on the look of the toy?: No. I go based on how sturdy the scratch/cat tree will be (I own Maine Coons).

What kind of enrichment have you previously provided for your cat? (not toys): I have Rum Tum Tugger and Munkustrap run agility courses.

Are there any toys that your cat hates?: They don't hate them, they just don't care.

Have you tried adding cat n** to any toys which your cat previously disliked? Any change?: No and no.

How much would you be willing to spend on a decent toy for your cat?: If it is sturdy enough, I have spent over three hundred dollars for a cat tree.

O.G. Gaian

Me, personally? One. The other four are technically my sister's (arguably, only one of those is hers, since it was mom who kept forgetting to make a vet's appointment and therefore bears responsibility for the resulting kittens), but if you asked them, they'd probably all tell you I'm their human.

Cats name and age:
Gwen (aka Mommy): I think she's thirteen. Give me a year's margin of error and call it 12-14.
Lewis (named after Meriwether Lewis, the explorer, because she was the first of the litter to start exploring the house), Itty-Bitty, and Bubba: About ten months younger than Gwen.
Eddie: He'll be 4 this summer.

Outdoor, for the most part. Bitty and Eddie sometimes get inside privileges because their indoor manners are generally pretty good, and if a door's accidentally left open Bubba and Mommy will take the opportunity to come and tell me so.

Eddie's favorite toy: Mommy. She doesn't care for it.
I made a string toy (braided craft thread a couple yards long tied to a yardstick, with a tuft of multicolored cotton yarn at the end), but whatever the reason, the girls aren't interested. Bubba and Eddie love to chase it, though, but although Bubba hunts for himself often anyway, he knows the string's just a toy. Eddie, when he catches it, has at times literally yanked the stick out of my hands and started dragging his "kill" away across the yard. o_O;

They actually all prefer the living kind. Bubba likes lizards, Lewis occasionally brings home birds (once offering it to my friend, who was over at the time, which made for an interesting morning), and Mommy's not too bad at rodents -- she brought mom a mouse a few months ago, and was a little hurt when mom looked down at the mouse next to her foot and jumped away; she was supposed to finish it off, apparently, and the poor thing tried to make a run for it.

All the time. I crochet; I have so many bits of yarn hanging around, I'm surprised the neighborhood cats don't all come asking for toys.

The thing about catnip is that it's a kind of mint, and mint doesn't retain all that much scent for very long when it's dried. By the time you take a catnip toy off the store shelf, it's really just a little stuffed toy with dried leaf bits in it. Yes, I've gotten catnip things before, but with the stuffed toys, I never noticed the cats' behavior change from how they'd normally play. The catnip bubbles... after ten minutes or so, they seemed a little stoned, but they might've just been getting bored.

A bit. With Eddie especially, though, it's more whether it "looks" like it'll withstand his attention for awhile. He's almost as rough on his toys as a dog would be, honestly. As for whether it looks like a moue or whatever, though, no. They know perfectly well that it isn't. But once the curiosity over something new wears off, the toy becomes basically just decorative, and they're not interested anymore, so if I'm buying them a toy, it's based on costing under $5.

Well, there are several beds and cubbies in the garage for them to sleep in, each with an old towel as padding (they get washed every couple of weeks). We've got a TV out there, and most of them like to watch things with me. Bitty likes old movies, and Lewis tends to want to sit with me when I'm watching the Travel Channel. Go figure. When Eddie was a few months old, we were watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade in the garage, and when it got to the part in the catacombs with all the rats, he was literally sitting up on the table, staring at the screen in fascination. xd

Hates? No, they're just not interested if it doesn't run on its own steam. Even the laser pointer only kept their attention until they realized I was doing it.

If I had it fresh I might try to, but... *shrug* No point, really. When Eddie was a kitten, he'd gleefully bat around anything we tossed to him -- corks, bottlecaps, erasers, you name it, and he'd pounce on it and throw it into the air to pounce again. Even paper is a toy, apparently. If a cat's feeling playful, the world's their toybox, and if they're not, then all the catnip in the world won't hold the appeal of a nap.

Like I said, under $5. Anything bigger or more fancy than that, I'll make it myself (and thus know exactly what's in it and how rugged it probably is).

Ruthless Hellraiser

15,000 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
How many cats do you own?: 2
Cats name and age:Tazzy, 4 / Bugzi, 5
Are they an indoor or outdoor cat?:Indoor
Do they have a favourite toy? (Describe it – picture?):Hard to say they both really love playing. Tazzy moreso than bugz.
Does your cat have a specific taste when it comes to toys? If so, what kind?:Tazzy likes anything that makes that crinkly plastic noise or anything pillow-like. He also loves these little material springs I buy him like once a month. cx weird cat. Bugzi likes anything he can chase.
Have you ever used handmade cat toys: (e.g. paper balls):Oh yeah they love little tinfoil balls, and sometimes I'll throw them a piece of pasta to bat around. >u<
Have you ever tried using cat n** for your cat? (Either on toys or a blanket) Was there any reaction to the cat n**? :They love it in toys, but I just get the ones that come like that. Haven't tried grabbing it on it's own yet. There's a catnip spray I wouldn't mind trying too.
When purchasing a toy for your cat, do you base the purchase on the look of the toy?:Not at all. Like I said Tazzy is into little material springs. :b
What kind of enrichment have you previously provided for your cat? (not toys):Not sure what you mean...They've got a big cat tree that they climb and they get all of my lovins & scratchins. emotion_kirakira
Are there any toys that your cat hates?:Hard plastic balls. >> They like the pillowy stuff.
Have you tried adding cat n** to any toys which your cat previously disliked? Any change?:I haven't but I don't think I could to it with the one's they don't like.
How much would you be willing to spend on a decent toy for your cat?: Depends how long it would last them. Like, the cat tree was over 100$. However I'm a huge sucker for my babies. I buy them whatever I think they need/would use. <3

6,550 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Bump!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
How many cats do you own?: 3

Cats name and age: Jellybean & Junebug are nearly 8 years old, Twiggy is nearly 2.

Are they an indoor or outdoor cat?: Jellybean & Junebug are strictly indoors, Twiggy goes out for walks in the stroller/on a harness.

Do they have a favourite toy? (Describe it – picture?): "Da Bird" is the hands-down fave. They also love their Catit Ball Track, and their crinkle tunnel.

Does your cat have a specific taste when it comes to toys? If so, what kind?:My cats are all pretty playful and like a wide variety of toys. Between the three of them, at least one of them is guaranteed to use the toys I bring home.

Have you ever used handmade cat toys: (e.g. paper balls): No paper of tinfoil, I'd worry my cats would eat them.

Have you ever tried using cat n** for your cat? (Either on toys or a blanket) Was there any reaction to the cat n**? : My cats love catnip.

When purchasing a toy for your cat, do you base the purchase on the look of the toy?: Yes. I prefer cute toys, but more important is whether it has too many small pieces that could come loose and be potentially eaten during rough play.

What kind of enrichment have you previously provided for your cat? (not toys): Cuddling, going for walks, clicker training.

Are there any toys that your cat hates?: Jellybean and Junebug hate anything loud. It took them awhile to get used to the crinkle tunnel, but their love of hide-holes overcame their fear of the noise.

Have you tried adding cat n** to any toys which your cat previously disliked? Any change?: No. My cats generally are afraid of anything "new" and you can tell fairly quickly if they'll take to it or not.

How much would you be willing to spend on a decent toy for your cat?: Depends on the toy. I have spent/would spend hundreds on a good cat tree, and I spend between $8-15 refiling their "Da Bird" depending on how badly damaged it gets. Their ball track cost $20, but I would spend double that in order to expand the playlet because they really like it and get a ton of use out of it.

Questionable Prophet

Cats name and age:

Pikachu, 10 years old and Purrzac 9 years old.

Indoor

Cat Wands

Pikachu prefers feathered toys, and Purrzac fluffy, stringy toys.

Pikachu loves to bat around a q-tip.

They both go gaga for it. I put it on their cat tower when they first got it, as well as their scratching post.

Kind of. They have some cute catnip toys. Currently I'm trying to make some name based toys for the both them. A pokeball and a pill.

Beds, the cat tower, during the summer I sometimes take them out for a walk, grooming.
Got them a little electric mouse once. They were terrified of it.

When they get bored with certain toys like the little furry mice I will, and plastic balls, but once the smell wears off of the balls they're done with it.

10 bucks tops. Usually I have to buy two of the thing and they'll lose interest fairly quickly so why spend the big bucks on a toy.
And Pikachu does destroy his feathered toys. He will chomp on it until it's "dead".

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff