Welcome to Gaia! ::

Redd Menace's Waifu

Friendly Gekko

I actually never realized we had a pet's forum until just now, so now I thought you guys may be able to help me out. Please?

I have a 3-4 year old black and white tuxedo looking cat. For the past couple years he's been coughing on and off. Some days he'll cough more than others or there will be a span of days where we won't hear any coughing at all.
I'm not completely sure what it sounds like, but I do know sometimes it's like when you have mucus in the back of your throat, you cough, then swallow it or something?

Anyways, should I be concerned? D: D:

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Does he cough up any material? Does he do cough at any particular times (such as when excited, stressed, etc)?

It wouldn't hurt to take him to a vet to listen, just to make sure of things.

Invisible Friend

Does he cough rlly badly? Like, does he cough so tht it looks like hes in pain? If u dont think he is well, u should take him to the vet. Sometimes, the biggest of things will disguise itself in little problems

Tipsy Fairy

I would take him to a vet just to be on the safe side, because cats normally don't cough unless something is wrong, it could be a simple virus. Do you let him go outside or anything like that?

5,500 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
ummmmmm depends on how bad it sounds, u shuld probably take her 2 a vet just 2 make sure she didnt swallow anything that she cant digest sad

Redd Menace's Waifu

Friendly Gekko

Moth Feathers

I don't believe he coughs anything up. My parents shrug it up saying he possibly has a hairball but he RARELY hacks up a hairball.

Sometimes he'll cough when he's picked up. Most the times I see him coughing he's not doing anything too energetic. He's usually just sitting there on the floor or something then all of a sudden start's coughing. Or even laying down sleeping, he'll get up and sit there hunched on the floor coughing.

xXAznMiShelleXx

I'm not really sure. I haven't inspected him closely enough but when he coughs it sounds painful. Like when someone's sick and they're throats in pain.

SourrToast

Could a simple virus last over a year? Because he' been coughing on and off for the past year or so.
I'll try to convince my parents to take him, and even my other cat to the vet.

Invisible Friend

If you pick him up and he starts coughing, there could also be something wrong with his inner organs. Im not saying there is but if you pick him up around the belly or even his chest. Possibly his chest tho. You really should go have a vet to check him out. There might be something wrong with his lungs. That's my best guess.

Redd Menace's Waifu

Friendly Gekko

Thank you Azn.
My dad keeps telling me not to worry about it, because he's probably trying to cough up a hairball and his throat may be too dry. :/
Something just has me asking other questions wondering if that's really it. I'd really like to take him to the vet just to be safe but he's so adamant that it's a hairball and won't take him anywhere.

Tipsy Prophet

6,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Bookworm 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
I know it sounds weird, but my first cat had hairballs really bad, and coughed a lot, so we fed her some Vaseline. She already ate it whenever we left it out, and it never hurt her before, and it seemed to really help get it up. So I'd try that and see what happens, if you don't see any improvement take her to the vet.

6,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Allergy?, Some sort of trauma to the upper respiratory tract? If its was to be a virus or infection of some sort I wouldn't think It would last this long. also they usually tend to make the cat miserable.
Check his demeanor is he happy? or does he seem to be bothered by pain. Is he eating and drinking as much as he used to before this started?
Is he a long or short-haired cat?
If you think it may be furballs, most dry cat foods contain oils as part of their furball formula.
If you do suspect something sinister is going on a trip to the vet might be for the best.

4,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Consumer 100

Sparkly Gekko

7,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Consumer 100
My cat Meili did that once, but she wouldn't cough anything up, I called the vet and they said if she coughs something up, or it doesn't stop to bring her in. She stopped, Id don't know what was wrong, but maybe he's got allergies?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff