Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Inquisitor

Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66
[Alphabravo]
I'm the cat volunteer coordinator for a no-kill shelter that does a pretty large volume of adoptions, and we actually train our volunteers to specifically direct people's attention to the good behavior or friendliness of our black cats to combat the trend that they get adopted less often. It's been my personal experience that people are happy to adopt black cats if the cat volunteer in the room at the time specifically points out that the black cat is being gentle with kids (or is rubbing around their ankles and desperately desiring affection, or is getting along well with other cats, or is particularly playful, or whatever that particular cat's virtue is).

The numerical adoption statistics for our shelter have black cats being adopted slightly more slowly than other cats (last year, I think it was something like an average stay of 1.4 weeks for a black DSH, compared to 1.1 wks for a tabby or colorpoint DSH), but like I said, we specifically train our volunteers and adoption counselors to direct attention to our black cats to make sure that they get noticed and get positive publicity. I'm sure that if we didn't do this, the black cats would be at even more of a disadvantage.

(Because I got curious, I looked up our adoption stats for kittens by color. With kittens, color doesn't seem to matter and black kitten litters get adopted just as quickly as other kittens. Kitten cuteness triumphs over all, I guess.)

ive noticed that with kittens too, thats why with my study i was going to avoid including kittens

but i wont be at the shelter much longer so i dont think ill be able to do my study anymore. so far my results are s**t since its kitten season so all thats being adopted are little kittens. we have only had a few adults go out this month.

Dumping the kittens from your study is bad science.

i just figured that since they all get adopted so quickly and without any thought of their color that it would skew my results. plus we have colored signs on kitten cages that draw attention to them

oh well, the study shall end soon anyways

You should do the statistics with and without them and compare!

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66
[Alphabravo]
I'm the cat volunteer coordinator for a no-kill shelter that does a pretty large volume of adoptions, and we actually train our volunteers to specifically direct people's attention to the good behavior or friendliness of our black cats to combat the trend that they get adopted less often. It's been my personal experience that people are happy to adopt black cats if the cat volunteer in the room at the time specifically points out that the black cat is being gentle with kids (or is rubbing around their ankles and desperately desiring affection, or is getting along well with other cats, or is particularly playful, or whatever that particular cat's virtue is).

The numerical adoption statistics for our shelter have black cats being adopted slightly more slowly than other cats (last year, I think it was something like an average stay of 1.4 weeks for a black DSH, compared to 1.1 wks for a tabby or colorpoint DSH), but like I said, we specifically train our volunteers and adoption counselors to direct attention to our black cats to make sure that they get noticed and get positive publicity. I'm sure that if we didn't do this, the black cats would be at even more of a disadvantage.

(Because I got curious, I looked up our adoption stats for kittens by color. With kittens, color doesn't seem to matter and black kitten litters get adopted just as quickly as other kittens. Kitten cuteness triumphs over all, I guess.)

ive noticed that with kittens too, thats why with my study i was going to avoid including kittens

but i wont be at the shelter much longer so i dont think ill be able to do my study anymore. so far my results are s**t since its kitten season so all thats being adopted are little kittens. we have only had a few adults go out this month.

i just figured that since they all get adopted so quickly and without any thought of their color that it would skew my results. plus we have colored signs on kitten cages that draw attention to them

i wont be able to anymore. new job. i wont be working at the shelter anymore and i doubt ill be able to stop by everyday. if i have any free time at my new job i will be spending it all with stowrm heart

Devoted Inquisitor

Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66
[Alphabravo]

i wont be able to anymore. new job. i wont be working at the shelter anymore and i doubt ill be able to stop by everyday. if i have any free time at my new job i will be spending it all with stowrm heart

Bummer.

Sounds like it was a shitty situation with coworkers though!

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans

Bummer.

Sounds like it was a shitty situation with coworkers though!

it was. i cannot wait to get out of there. the new boss ruined destroyed any joy i had at that place. im sure she will be pissed when she hears im leaving. she tends to throw a hissy fit whenever im not under her thumb lol

Devoted Inquisitor

Shanna66

it was. i cannot wait to get out of there. the new boss ruined destroyed any joy i had at that place. im sure she will be pissed when she hears im leaving. she tends to throw a hissy fit whenever im not under her thumb lol

Lol.

Where are you moving to?

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Latrans
Shanna66

Lol.

Where are you moving to?

i will be working at a vet office thats only 3 miles from my house! i will still be doing kennel stuff but also grooming and simple medical stuff. i get to wear scrubs instead of a bleach stained tshirt. i will look like an adult.

Devoted Inquisitor

Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66

Lol.

Where are you moving to?

i will be working at a vet office thats only 3 miles from my house! i will still be doing kennel stuff but also grooming and simple medical stuff. i get to wear scrubs instead of a bleach stained tshirt. i will look like an adult.

That sounds like a great change!

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66

Lol.

Where are you moving to?

i really hope it will be. i cant wait to start. ive already told one of my managers that the main reason im leaving if because of crazy boss. doubt it will change anything since other people have quit for the same reason, but still. at least the shelter will be a no kill shelter soon so hopefully someone will stop her from marking so many dogs needlessly. our adoption rate was over 80% before she became manager. its dropped quite a bit because of her. i would consider us a high kill shelter at this point even when we have a ton of space

sorry, it just really bothers me how she treats the animals and how excited she gets whenever its time to mark them

Devoted Inquisitor

Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66

Lol.

Where are you moving to?

i really hope it will be. i cant wait to start. ive already told one of my managers that the main reason im leaving if because of crazy boss. doubt it will change anything since other people have quit for the same reason, but still. at least the shelter will be a no kill shelter soon so hopefully someone will stop her from marking so many dogs needlessly. our adoption rate was over 80% before she became manager. its dropped quite a bit because of her. i would consider us a high kill shelter at this point even when we have a ton of space

sorry, it just really bothers me how she treats the animals and how excited she gets whenever its time to mark them

That's so weird, ugh.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66

Lol.

Where are you moving to?

That's so weird, ugh.

Yeah im amazed they have kept her as long as they have. The vets and other managers cant stand her. She is friends with the boss' daughter though so im windering if thats why she got the position.

Idk, a few more weeks amd I wont ever have to deal with her again mrgreen

Liberal Codger

I just think tha'ts so crazy....I'm very attracted to black animals. I think they have pretty coats and look just darling, especially cats. It's my life's goal now to have a fluffy black cat. x3 But yeah, one of my parent's German Shepherds is mostly black, one of the cats is pure black, the other is black and white...wouldn't have them any other way. ):

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff