Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Inquisitor

Really interesting article on the idea that black animals are less likely to be adopted!

Link!
That's really interesting. Thanks for the article!

Muscular Kitten

I've been volunteering at my local animal shelter for going on five years now and we've certainly never had a problem with adopting out black cats. I don't work with the dogs.
It's the fat (I mean morbidly obese here) and 5+ y/o cats that stay the longest.

Devoted Inquisitor

Dippoldism
I've been volunteering at my local animal shelter for going on five years now and we've certainly never had a problem with adopting out black cats. I don't work with the dogs.
It's the fat (I mean morbidly obese here) and 5+ y/o cats that stay the longest.

Poor kitties. I can see why that might happen though! It's hard to read the personality of an obese pet.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Ive noticed black and dark amimals tent to stay at the shelter longer but I feel its more because they are in metal cages and the black reflects off the metal and makes the cages look dark so people tend not to notice the animal in there. Just my observation.

Black cats and dogs with brightly cokored blankets tend to get adopted faster than a black animal with a dark blanket or no blanket

Devoted Inquisitor

Shanna66
Ive noticed black and dark amimals tent to stay at the shelter longer but I feel its more because they are in metal cages and the black reflects off the metal and makes the cages look dark so people tend not to notice the animal in there. Just my observation.

Black cats and dogs with brightly cokored blankets tend to get adopted faster than a black animal with a dark blanket or no blanket

You should keep notes and see what the statistics actually say! That would be super interesting!

6,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
I think we just have more black/dark colored dogs, but only by a few. But as far as large dogs go, there's not a lot of adoptions going on period. The small dogs and puppies get adopted quickly, regardless of color. I don't work with the cats, so I couldn't say.

I know it's probably just a coincidence, but it seems like the lighter colored dogs are generally more playful and social.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Latrans
Shanna66

You should keep notes and see what the statistics actually say! That would be super interesting!

Not a bad idea biggrin

Devoted Inquisitor

Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66

Not a bad idea biggrin

You could make just an easy spreadsheet--type of animal, color, age of animal (if known), purebred or not, sex, length of stay, whether they were adopted or euthanized... maybe date of arrival? It'd be easy!

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66

Not a bad idea biggrin

You could make just an easy spreadsheet--type of animal, color, age of animal (if known), purebred or not, sex, length of stay, whether they were adopted or euthanized... maybe date of arrival? It'd be easy!

Sounds like fun! Ill have to set aside a time each day to do that

Devoted Inquisitor

Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66

Not a bad idea biggrin

It would be a fascinating project! I really hope you stick with it.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66

Not a bad idea biggrin

It would be a fascinating project! I really hope you stick with it.

Ill try

Partying Cultist

That doesn't surprise me.

My cat and his brother were the last two of their litter that got abandoned at a vets office. Both black. Nobody wanted them. Felt bad for the little guys and didn't want to separate them, so we took them both home.

That was 12 years ago, and though we've lost one since then, adopting them was pretty much the best decision ever. KO (Knock Out cat) is pretty much the sweetest guy. I hope I get to enjoy his kitty company for many more years to come~

Devoted Inquisitor

Countess Kinoko
That doesn't surprise me.

My cat and his brother were the last two of their litter that got abandoned at a vets office. Both black. Nobody wanted them. Felt bad for the little guys and didn't want to separate them, so we took them both home.

That was 12 years ago, and though we've lost one since then, adopting them was pretty much the best decision ever. KO (Knock Out cat) is pretty much the sweetest guy. I hope I get to enjoy his kitty company for many more years to come~

Yeah I love dark animals too, and would preferentially adopt them--especially dogs.

It's neat that they found that the idea that dark colored animals aren't as likely to be adopted!

Anxious Werewolf

16,150 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • The Wolf Within 100
This makes me feel better knowing that being a black animal isn't always a death sentence.

I still plan on adopting a black cat because they are gorgeous.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff