Welcome to Gaia! ::

Chatty Cat

11,350 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100

I damn near had a heart attack when he snuck up on me while I was on the porch. gonk I cried, grabbed my crappy cam and got him on film. Its one of the inconvienances that my phone has no flash. D:

Is he big or what?
He looks pretty small to me. If I walk out in my grass at night and then look behind me I can often see dozens of spiders that size or larger climbing up the grass to check to see if the vibrations were caused by potential food items. xd

Lonely Nerd

Punkin Avis

I damn near had a heart attack when he snuck up on me while I was on the porch. gonk I cried, grabbed my crappy cam and got him on film. Its one of the inconvienances that my phone has no flash. D:

Is he big or what?

Psh. Tiny little spider, kinda cute...

Wanna see a spider? That doesn't live up to our small spiders. I live near a nuclear plant. :l

I watched a Freya video though... (since I had to go to actual site cuz mini YouTube don't work on iPad)
*Cough* With all due respect...

User Image

Use the bricks for scale. This dude lived in our garage for a while. smile

That is a cool spider. We have 'house spiders' also...wonder if they're the same species?

Shapeshifter

Kay9214
Wanna see a spider? That doesn't live up to our small spiders. I live near a nuclear plant. :l

what does that have to do with spider size?

and that's a tiny little spider. i've seen bigger wolf spiders and orb weavers.
though i'm also the person who said the tarantula my dad sent me a picture of was small. xd spiders only count as big once they're bigger than my hand.

Lonely Nerd

LokiLB
Kay9214

though i'm also the person who said the tarantula my dad sent me a picture of was small. xd spiders only count as big once they're bigger than my hand.

Haha, you've obviously never lived near a nuclear power plant, I see...

But see Punkin? Leave your poor tiny spider alone, or the rest of us will bring you some big ones. Loki will even grab some tarantulas. Lol

Try Theraphosa Leblondi for instance. That sucker hunts and eats rats. x3

Shapeshifter

Kay9214
LokiLB
Kay9214

But see Punkin? Leave your poor tiny spider alone, or the rest of us will bring you some big ones. Loki will even grab some tarantulas. Lol

on the contrary, i have rarely ever not lived near a nuclear facility of some sort (and i've worked for some of them). i just don't see how it would affect the size of spiders. maybe the growth rate of aquatic animals in cooling ponds would increase, but it shouldn't affect terrestrial species.

T. blondi is sort of big. xd though i think a L. parahybana would be better to send someone. only slightly smaller, but a lot hardier and not as finicky about conditions.

Lonely Nerd

LokiLB
Kay9214
LokiLB
Kay9214

on the contrary, i have rarely ever not lived near a nuclear facility of some sort (and i've worked for some of them). i just don't see how it would affect the size of spiders. maybe the growth rate of aquatic animals in cooling ponds would increase, but it shouldn't affect terrestrial species.

T. blondi is sort of big. xd though i think a L. parahybana would be better to send someone. only slightly smaller, but a lot hardier and not as finicky about conditions.

>.> Lucky you then, we have Horse Flies out here that'll practically snatch your kids up! gonk

I'm not worried about her keeping it, we can put it back where it's safe and happy when we're done, and Blondie's legspan is as much as four inches bigger, that's what we're looking for! rofl

Shapeshifter

Kay9214
>.> Lucky you then, we have Horse Flies out here that'll practically snatch your kids up! gonk

I'm not worried about her keeping it, we can put it back where it's safe and happy when we're done, and Blondie's legspan is as much as four inches bigger, that's what we're looking for! rofl

horseflies are normally gigantic. but seriously, it's very unlikely that living near a power plant has anything to do with the size of the arthropods near you. even if you had a significant release of radioactive material, radiation tends to make things smaller, not larger. y'know, when it doesn't kill them outright or give them cancer.
as i said, warmer temperatures due to cooling the reactor water is what would result in larger animals (generally aquatic ectotherms), and you'd get the same thing at a coal plant that uses a body of water for cooling purposes.

Lonely Nerd

LokiLB
Kay9214

horseflies are normally gigantic. but seriously, it's very unlikely that living near a power plant has anything to do with the size of the arthropods near you. even if you had a significant release of radioactive material, radiation tends to make things smaller, not larger. y'know, when it doesn't kill them outright or give them cancer.
as i said, warmer temperatures due to cooling the reactor water is what would result in larger animals (generally aquatic ectotherms), and you'd get the same thing at a coal plant that uses a body of water for cooling purposes.

Well, then, I guess I'll just have to blame cosmic radiation or government experimentation... >.>

Point was, we have abnormally large spiders and insects. xP

Chatty Cat

11,350 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
Krissim Klaw

Kay9214

Skeksis

LokiLB

He was big to my standards. gonk If he wasnt all crunched up, hed have been about the size of a small pie plate with legs all extended. Scared the bajeezus out of me. crying

I appreciate spiders from a distance. A far far far far far far distance. Their webs are beautiful lies in the distance as they trap their not so fourtuante prey. If it werent for spiders, I do understand that there would be alot more other bugs. (I know spiders arent bugs...)

I let him live. D: But it didnt make him any less scary.

Dapper Shapeshifter

7,200 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I've seen much bigger in Florida.
He actually looks sort of small to me.

I tend to compare all spider sizes to the 5+ inch, saucer-sized weavers that I sometimes see down at my grandparents in Florida. Those things are huge. (They're also surprisingly gentle, and kind of neat to handle as I relocate them from around the house to a nearby orange grove where they can catch fruit flies to their hearts content. They feel nifty when they crawl up your arm, and as long as I know they're weavers they're not scary.)
Ren Miyazaki

Didn't see this before I posted above but yeah. This.

Chatty Cat

11,350 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
[Alphabravo]
Ren Miyazaki

Didn't see this before I posted above but yeah. This.
He was smaller compared to ones Ive seen and squished (they came in the house and had it coming). but when your on the front porch enjoying a smoke and all of a sudden see a large black thing with white markings on its rear end and more legs than nessesary, you scream and cry.

I have a godly fear of all things bugs and spiders. I have sacrified houses to spiders, stood outside in my jammies for hours, just so someone could take care of it for me.

Extreme case of aracniphobia.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces