Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Gekko

7,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Consumer 100
TararistThreat
One of my cats responds well to clicker training, but both of the boys are counter surfers. I've found one way to combat it is to make the kitchen counters boring for them and other areas where they're allowed as interesting as possible. Once I get the living room painted, I want to install some shelves with toys and various textures for them to get around without having to walk on the floor since neither Mugen nor Gaara like the dog, heh. I think they'd both sell Dexter on ebay if they had opposable thumbs and could type!

Mugen wants to be an inside/outside cat, but I'm not into letting them roam the neighborhood. Not that Gaara would. Give him a window, a nice comfy mat and Gaara is perfectly content to lie about inside all his life. Slowly but surely I'm leash training Mugen. He's pretty funny on his harness because he really wants to be out there exploring, but he stops to glare at me and his leash while we're outside.

Love your pet names <3
Where did you get Mugen from (I have an idea, just curious)
Mistress of Rain
S A N l l
Mistress of Rain
S A N l l
Mistress of Rain
S A N l l
Scat mat

those electric mats? I'd like you to walk or sit on one of those and say they are still a good training aids...

already did. felt like a static shock. big deal

you have a bigger body to take that shock, and less sensitive skin as well.

When i frist learned of scat mats when I was 5 or 6 I screamed bloody mary when I stepped on it cause i was going to sit on the couch. It hurt, to be used on animals is as mean as just putting a shock collar on a dog for an invisible fence and not telling the dog the boundaries.

I was the same age when I touched it. didn't hurt.
and it fixed the cat problem quickly. and lol I don't mind shock collars either. whatever fixes bad behavior.

quick and lazy way for you no matter if it hurts the animal. I see.

a two second shock. they wont die

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Latrans
Clicker-clicker-clicker!

Let me know how it all goes! Cats can totally learn tricks--and a recall on a cat is so, so important. In my very limited experience, the more independent an animal is, the more useful positive reinforcement training is, and the less punishment works.

Oh I will have a thread, and I am going to be starting a Live journal about Ika and the gerbils.

I know with Dawn Ika would "ask" for things. so If i get her to a point where she can be recalled, and maybe get her to sit and go to her crate when told I will be happy.... would love for her to ask for attention or to do something (be it for dinner, or bed time...she did bed time with Dawn).

she will always be a cat, but If I can just get her to be a "normal" cat i will be happy.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
TararistThreat
One of my cats responds well to clicker training, but both of the boys are counter surfers. I've found one way to combat it is to make the kitchen counters boring for them and other areas where they're allowed as interesting as possible. Once I get the living room painted, I want to install some shelves with toys and various textures for them to get around without having to walk on the floor since neither Mugen nor Gaara like the dog, heh. I think they'd both sell Dexter on ebay if they had opposable thumbs and could type!

Mugen wants to be an inside/outside cat, but I'm not into letting them roam the neighborhood. Not that Gaara would. Give him a window, a nice comfy mat and Gaara is perfectly content to lie about inside all his life. Slowly but surely I'm leash training Mugen. He's pretty funny on his harness because he really wants to be out there exploring, but he stops to glare at me and his leash while we're outside.

Cute names.

Ika has so far presented herself as a bush dweller, she likes being close to the ground. But it might change once she realizes I'm a tree dweller (full size loft 5 feet off the ground).

Glad you are leash training Mugen. He will at some point realize the leash isn't going to go anywhere. XD Ika would probably be fine just being like Gaara spending her life inside... but new mommy is making her be social. (baby steps very small baby steps with her).

I know people don't really care for flex leashes but if he gets to a point where he is fine with the leash I would suggest if you take him to a place that you are confident are no dogs to sneak up on you guys a puppy/cat flex leash might give him a bit more "freedom" to explore.

Aged Survivor

Sae Insanity 45
TararistThreat

Love your pet names <3

Thank you. XD Mugen's name is from Samurai Champloo, and he's my spoiled rotten baby.

User Image

Sparkly Gekko

7,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Consumer 100
TararistThreat
Sae Insanity 45
TararistThreat

Love your pet names <3

Thank you. XD Mugen's name is from Samurai Champloo, and he's my spoiled rotten baby.

User Image

Yes I was right haha!
I <3 Samurai Champloo
lolol cuute

Devoted Inquisitor

Mistress of Rain
Latrans
Clicker-clicker-clicker!

Let me know how it all goes! Cats can totally learn tricks--and a recall on a cat is so, so important. In my very limited experience, the more independent an animal is, the more useful positive reinforcement training is, and the less punishment works.

Oh I will have a thread, and I am going to be starting a Live journal about Ika and the gerbils.

I know with Dawn Ika would "ask" for things. so If i get her to a point where she can be recalled, and maybe get her to sit and go to her crate when told I will be happy.... would love for her to ask for attention or to do something (be it for dinner, or bed time...she did bed time with Dawn).

she will always be a cat, but If I can just get her to be a "normal" cat i will be happy.

I can't wait for the thread!

You must be so excited to start such a wonderful bonding project. I know I'm fanatical about clicker training, but it's just such a great feeling, to watch the animal get what you're trying to teach, and I really do feel like it builds just this incredible bond, it really does.

Aged Survivor

Mistress of Rain
Cute names.

Ika has so far presented herself as a bush dweller, she likes being close to the ground. But it might change once she realizes I'm a tree dweller (full size loft 5 feet off the ground).

Glad you are leash training Mugen. He will at some point realize the leash isn't going to go anywhere. XD Ika would probably be fine just being like Gaara spending her life inside... but new mommy is making her be social. (baby steps very small baby steps with her).

I know people don't really care for flex leashes but if he gets to a point where he is fine with the leash I would suggest if you take him to a place that you are confident are no dogs to sneak up on you guys a puppy/cat flex leash might give him a bit more "freedom" to explore.

Ah, both of mine are tree dwellers. That's a good idea to remember on the flex leash for Mugen, thanks for the tip!

Sounds like Ika is very lucky to have a patient kitty parent. Baby steps are about the only steps that work well with cats. I've had been blessed with many a feline over the years, but not a one of them has ever liked to be rushed into anything-unless it's rushing me to the food bowl.
sounds like things my cat needs to understand sweatdrop

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Latrans
Mistress of Rain
Latrans
Clicker-clicker-clicker!

I can't wait for the thread!

You must be so excited to start such a wonderful bonding project. I know I'm fanatical about clicker training, but it's just such a great feeling, to watch the animal get what you're trying to teach, and I really do feel like it builds just this incredible bond, it really does.

Thanks, and yeah I'm ready to start bonding. Sadly her first night with me is now in a car... My friends are now leaving around 5pm to drive up, I don't blame them I jsut fear that it will stress Ika more (going to ask politely that they don't blare their heavy metal/ MSI songs on the ride up...even if they are fallign a sleep). But on a happy note I'm making Ika a blanket, it is going to black and white. Currently it will is a little less than two feet wide, and i don't know how long it will be... so far have 6 ot 7 rows on it. Now If I can figure out if she will pee at the new place or not. (on things... bladder wise she is healthy she just is known for peeing on beds and select people's clothes)

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
TararistThreat
Mistress of Rain
Cute names.

Ah, both of mine are tree dwellers. That's a good idea to remember on the flex leash for Mugen, thanks for the tip!

Sounds like Ika is very lucky to have a patient kitty parent. Baby steps are about the only steps that work well with cats. I've had been blessed with many a feline over the years, but not a one of them has ever liked to be rushed into anything-unless it's rushing me to the food bowl.

I like to think i am patient. ^_^ If you stalk any of my threads I will probably be about Ika or my Gerbils. Ika will be in the spot light since I have had her since the beginning of summer but haven't been living with her (that changes on thursday/friday)

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Ashabelle

XD some times i think it is what many cats and their caregivers need to understand. smile

some people just think that once you have a cat they just do what every and that is who the cat is... sometimes though what they do are behavior issues.... they are just like any animal or child they need rules and boundries *nod*
Mistress of Rain
Ashabelle

XD some times i think it is what many cats and their caregivers need to understand. smile

some people just think that once you have a cat they just do what every and that is who the cat is... sometimes though what they do are behavior issues.... they are just like any animal or child they need rules and boundries *nod*

i agree lol
Agree! Hate when people say that they dont care, because shocks etc. work.

Personally, rather then be a lazy a** and using adversive methods on my animals for doing something, which they do NOT understand is wrong (eg. a cat doesn't realize jumping on the counter is wrong. Thats just simply a behavior we humans don't like).
I take the time to teach my animals, because I believe they do deserve a bit of respect. No their not humans, but they are still living animals

Aged Hunter

Once I find an edible that my cat really likes I'm going to be doing clicker training with her. She's already got decent recall, but that's about it, otherwise I'm the one who's been trained sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff