Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers

SO, question about pygmy cories. I was reading online that larger species of cories need a certain amount of space on the tank floor? Does that go for them, too? It says that they'd be happiest in a group of 6 or more, even better if you've got like 10 of them. Which, according to aqadvisor is perfectly okay (tank parameters-wise). The biggest question is do I have to add the cories before I add Ulmo? Or can I just add them in whenever? (Assuming I can find someone who carries the little buggers, because I do want some, OH GOD THE CUTE IT BURNS.)

Always add aggressive fish last.

A little bit of floor space is just so they can cruise around. It's basically, the websites are saying don't have the tank so crowded that there's not an open space they can chill and dig in the substrate, you know? Some tanks have a -lot- of plants/decorations so where there's not really much empty floor space, and they're recommending not to do that.

Liberal Codger

Moth Feathers
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers

SO, question about pygmy cories. I was reading online that larger species of cories need a certain amount of space on the tank floor? Does that go for them, too? It says that they'd be happiest in a group of 6 or more, even better if you've got like 10 of them. Which, according to aqadvisor is perfectly okay (tank parameters-wise). The biggest question is do I have to add the cories before I add Ulmo? Or can I just add them in whenever? (Assuming I can find someone who carries the little buggers, because I do want some, OH GOD THE CUTE IT BURNS.)

A little bit of floor space is just so they can cruise around. It's basically, the websites are saying don't have the tank so crowded that there's not an open space they can chill and dig in the substrate, you know? Some tanks have a -lot- of plants/decorations so where there's not really much empty floor space, and they're recommending not to do that.

So, how long should the cories be in there before I add Ulmo?

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers

Until the cories seem settled down/aren't freaking out or anything. It helps if you turn the lights off when fish are acclimating to the tank as well.

Liberal Codger

Moth Feathers
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers

Until the cories seem settled down/aren't freaking out or anything. It helps if you turn the lights off when fish are acclimating to the tank as well.

Alright. x.x; Guess I'll just have to keep Ulmo in a bowl until such a time as his tank mates have chilled the hell out.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers

Alright. x.x; Guess I'll just have to keep Ulmo in a bowl until such a time as his tank mates have chilled the hell out.

It won't take that long, fish adapt quickly. An hour, tops.
I would just keep him in a bucket, but if you'd prefer a bowl, go for it.

Liberal Codger

Moth Feathers
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers

I have a question. If I can add him like an hour after I put fish in...could I do the same with my neons? Just add them, wait'll they settle, and then put him in and see what happens?

If all else fails, I could always just put the neons back in their original tank...and if they do get along, I could increase their school....and it'd probably be easier than obtaining a pygmy cory. Even on aquabid there are only two listings. o_o;

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers

I have a question. If I can add him like an hour after I put fish in...could I do the same with my neons? Just add them, wait'll they settle, and then put him in and see what happens?

If all else fails, I could always just put the neons back in their original tank...and if they do get along, I could increase their school....and it'd probably be easier than obtaining a pygmy cory. Even on aquabid there are only two listings. o_o;

I don't know enough about neons and Bettas together to be able to say if they'd be able to live together. I just know it's fine with cories and other bottomdwellers since they stay out of the way and don't really cause trouble.

If you put your Betta right next to the neons (in a separate container, but right next to them) that might give an indicator of how he'd do living with them (like if he flares at them, he'd probably hurt them if they were housed together).

Liberal Codger

Moth Feathers
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers

I don't know enough about neons and Bettas together to be able to say if they'd be able to live together. I just know it's fine with cories and other bottomdwellers since they stay out of the way and don't really cause trouble.

If you put your Betta right next to the neons (in a separate container, but right next to them) that might give an indicator of how he'd do living with them (like if he flares at them, he'd probably hurt them if they were housed together).

Alright. ^_^ I think I'll put him in a cup or something and put him up next to the ten gallon and see how he reacts. ^_^;; And hope for good things. lol

Liberal Codger

Moth Feathers

Another question. I'm really sorry if I'm annoying you. x.x; I just want to make sure I'm doing all of this right.

So, been looking up pygmy corys and came across "Corydora Habrosus" the dainty cory. It's supposedly the same size as "Corydora Pygmaeus" with the same temperament and all...do you know anything about these things? Cuz I was looking at pictures, and I think they're cuter than the pygmies because they have spots instead of stripes...I know, I'm so mean looking for the most attractive option here...^_^;

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers

Another question. I'm really sorry if I'm annoying you. x.x; I just want to make sure I'm doing all of this right.

So, been looking up pygmy corys and came across "Corydora Habrosus" the dainty cory. It's supposedly the same size as "Corydora Pygmaeus" with the same temperament and all...do you know anything about these things? Cuz I was looking at pictures, and I think they're cuter than the pygmies because they have spots instead of stripes...I know, I'm so mean looking for the most attractive option here...^_^;

You aren't annoying me. heart

It can be any species you want, just make sure they don't get too big. Many cories like panda cories would grow too big to be comfortable in a 10 gallon (each panda cory for instance can grow up to 2 in, and multiply that by 4-6, and then add a Betta..yikes). Compare that to pygmy cories, which grow about 1 inch long. So just pick any small species you want. If you have 'dainty cories' in your area, feel free to get them.

Liberal Codger

Moth Feathers
Ayamae Akahana
Moth Feathers

You aren't annoying me. heart

It can be any species you want, just make sure they don't get too big. Many cories like panda cories would grow too big to be comfortable in a 10 gallon (each panda cory for instance can grow up to 2 in, and multiply that by 4-6, and then add a Betta..yikes). Compare that to pygmy cories, which grow about 1 inch long. So just pick any small species you want. If you have 'dainty cories' in your area, feel free to get them.

Alright. ^_^ Thanks so much for your help. I'm gonna look around at petco, petsmart, and the mom and pop store I usually go to and see if anyone has the dainty cories. Cuz they're just adorable. x3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff