Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I'm moving into a duplex, and once I'm nice and settled, I'd like to get a pair of rats. I know a reputable breeder who is willing to either let me adopt two of hers, or will let me know if anyone she knows has rats up for adoption, including rescue rats.

So when it comes to getting the two rats, I feel secure. What I want tips on is everything else: housing, bedding, toys, diet, etc. I have talked to the breeder, but she is just one opinion, and I want to hear from lots of rat owners! I also want to know what the life expectancy is. I've heard two to three years, but have known rats to live longer than that.
Oh! And costs! I would like to know how much rats will cost each month.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
most of my rats were petco and feeder bin rats. my longest lived rat got to 3. the ones i got from petco had some pretty decent vet bills from day one and one of my boys had to have meds for his entire life

i fed oxbow to my girls, the best lab block on the market in the US back when i was keeping up with that type of information. my boys i had on a seed mix because 2 were allergic to lab blocks and would lose their hair, and around that time i had developed an allergy to my rats so them shedding was making it so i could hardly spend any time in my own bedroom

for bedding i used fleece. i loved it. its cheap, easy to clean, and reusable. i had all of mine litter trained so there wasnt much mess besides for my 2 younger boys who liked to sleep in their poop soup. other than that everyone was very clean

rats are a s**t ton of fun and i wish i could have some again. they can be sad though. rats dont usually die of old age. but they are loads of fun and very loving. some of my best memories are coming home from a s**t day at work and having all my vermin running into my lap and giving me kisses

Shy Sex Symbol

I can't remember how much upkeep for them cost, but I have owned rats over the years, I adopted some from a local university's psych lab and some from a pet store/adoptions. Firstly, be careful with bedding, as dust can cause respiratory problems in rats which is a common ailment. Good bedding is often more expensive than the regular ole woodchip ones in the store. On that note, scented woods like cedar make poor bedding due to the respiratory problems. And if you are looking for male rats, do not give them oranges! The pith and rind contribute to testicular cancer. Supplementing either lab blocks (which I fed mine, they were highly rated though I cannot remember the name) or seed mix with fresh fruits and veggies. They love these things as treats.

My rats loved tunnels and hammocks. You could get a ferret tunnel to use when you are playing with the rats outside the cage. They like to climb on things, but their feet can get hurt if you have a cage that has a wire bottom. Beware of plastic because they can chew like mad! Mine loved exploring smile

If you are introducing a new rat, something that can help is putting dabs of vanilla on the back of their neck to mask their smell and introduce in a neutral environment.

I hope you love your ratties! They're some of the sweetest pets you can have 4laugh

Kaptain K Rool's Husband

Floppy Member

Sunflower seeds were always a hit with my rats, as well as those woven-fiber bird houses.

For housing, I recommend a tall house* with plenty of things to climb on and chew. Rats are intelligent and require stimulation.

You can litter train them (so I've been told, I never tried) and they'll learn tricks if you have patience.

Male rats tend to "dribble" as they go and have a stronger natural odor, so honestly I'd advise females unless you don't mind being peed on sometimes.

*the tall wire cage will help prevent ammonia and other chemicals in their waste from building up and causing respiratory issues. Rats are fairly sensitive when it comes to breathing.

Kaptain K Rool's Husband

Floppy Member

Costs past initial setup will probably be fairly low. Lab blocks are a good basic diet, don't cost much, and are easy to ration out. Then you can just reserve some fresh fruit and veg from your supply of human food to supplement their diets, along with some seed mix.

Anxious Seeker

I've had over 40+ rats since starting my love affair with them. I only have three right now, but at one point I had two huge Martin cages and 14 girls and boys at once, WITH two other large ferret cages for when I had Rex babies or a nursing mum that was separated from her sisters. They are the funnest creatures, and if you can't have a dog, a good stand in. Mine are all litter trained, know their name, and sleep in a bird cage with homemade fleece hammocks for levels and fun!

I use carefresh, the one without dyes or added absorbency and only use a tiny amount in their litter box. I change it twice a week and wash their bedding every 4 days, but I have tons of sets so its quite fun to change it around and have different fabrics. The rats love the change as well, on top of that they recycle all my cardboard boxes and other cardboard things. Mine roam the house and aren't much for chewing, but DO find their way into my pantry loud enough for me to notice and get them.

They get fed our food and a homemade grain mix that focuses on their protein intake(not high), vitamins, and actual grains. They get a high grade dog food, Taste of the Wild, but that's SO small. They get bits of our dinner if they beg good enough. :p

I've had to spend 300+ dollars on rats, tumor removals and spays being the highest costing. So having a pet budget is crucial because if their lines aren't healthy, you basically get a kid that gets sick easily. And they decline QUICK. :c (My latest deceased is Frappe, my sweet coffeebean had just gotten a tumor removal not 1 month before, and catches pneumonia that quickly took her despite medication and treatment. :< )

But rats are great and come in a unique assortment of colors and ear sets. Boys are rather chill and wanna hang out while girls want to explore the whole world, but still give kisses and get treats. Mine roam the house, get baths, and know tricks. smile (Spin, Kisses, Come see me, one even knew how to pick pocket.)

6,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
You have had a lot of suggestions but if you still need to buy everything I proper set up and everything you need to start will probably cost you around $200 unless you can get a used cage. A good size cage will cost you around $100. The monthly up keep for them is not much about $25 unless you are buying them new toys/hammocks which could make it go up to $100. Rats aren't healthy though and will need to be taken care of by a vet at least once in there life it is suggested that you have between $200-$500 saved per a rat as a vet fund. Also the life expectancy is 2-3 years it is very rare for them to live much past three. Ive never even had one make it to three yet my oldest is my current not healthy senior who is about 2 years and 9 months.

You should join these two forums they are both good rat forums that I am a part of and they can help you alot.
http://www.goosemoose.com/rfc/index.php
http://www.ratforum.com/index.php

Anxious Seeker

I second Goosemoose.
They are reallll nice on there. smile

DaMustang if you do join! :>

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers