Welcome to Gaia! ::

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
so yesterday my sister found 2 baby squirrels at work. she found one then brought it home to keep it safe for the night and as soon as she got back to work she found another. the reason she brought them home was because we have been having horrible rain the past few days and really bad flooding in some parts of the city

well she has been keeping them for the night and is going to take them to the rehab facility at the park later today. i got to go over to her house today to see them before she got rid of them. they are so adorable. she kept telling me that if it were legal she would keep them

thinking about waking up
User Image

no
User Image

still cant wake up
User Image

woke up, crawled in my lap then fell back asleep
User Image

way too freaking cute
User Image

oh my god, so cute
User Image

Demonic Ladykiller

12,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Awwwww emotion_kirakira In front of my house I saw a baby squirrel fall 10+ feet from a tree ._. But the mother carried it back it.

Feline Bookworm

Adooorrabble! I just want to shnuk it! 4laugh

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Satans Bloody Valentine
Awwwww emotion_kirakira In front of my house I saw a baby squirrel fall 10+ feet from a tree ._. But the mother carried it back it.

poor thing. at least the mother was still around though
Aww! It's so adorable. heart

Too bad you can't keep one. He/She could hang around on Stowrm when you guys go for walks. xd

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
SHD

Too bad you can't keep one. He/She could hang around on Stowrm when you guys go for walks. xd

Lol even if I could have offered to take one im pretty sure my ferrets would kill it. I let them fee roam most of the time. The only reason my reptiles are safe is that they all sleep all day and dobt bring anu attention to themselves
Shanna66
SHD

Lol even if I could have offered to take one im pretty sure my ferrets would kill it. I let them fee roam most of the time. The only reason my reptiles are safe is that they all sleep all day and dobt bring anu attention to themselves

I don't know, lol, squirrels are pretty crafty. It would be pretty cool to have one. So it's illegal where you are to own one eh?

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
SHD
Shanna66
SHD

I don't know, lol, squirrels are pretty crafty. It would be pretty cool to have one. So it's illegal where you are to own one eh?

Yeah. Its not really enforced but if they needed vet care I wouldnt be able to provide it and if I had to turn them over they would need to be put down. Its just safer and less chance of heartbreak to find a rehaber to take them

On the bright side my sister is trying to get into rehabing because of them. If she gets picked for the volunteer program she could still get to raise them
Shanna66

Yeah. Its not really enforced but if they needed vet care I wouldnt be able to provide it and if I had to turn them over they would need to be put down. Its just safer and less chance of heartbreak to find a rehaber to take them

On the bright side my sister is trying to get into rehabing because of them. If she gets picked for the volunteer program she could still get to raise them
Not sure where you are living but you might want to see if Southern flying squirrels are illegal in your area if you or your sister are ever bitten with the squirrel bug.

There is a reason there aren't many, if really any at all, reputable squirrel breeders outside of those dealing in Southern flying squirrels (or northern fliers though they are pretty rare in the trade). The babies of other species are adorable but the adults are very destructive, high energy, and anyone wanting to own one will quite literally need very thick skin. Once the hormones hit they often have no qualms about using their teeth if their mood is off. I've done a lot of research on exotics over the years and squirrels are one of the few that fall into, they not only go after you but will specifically target your face, category. Their nails, even when innocently crawling around on you, can also easily pierce flesh. Since they use them to climb you really don't want to smooth them out either like you can do with a cat. Speaking of climbing, because of it you are looking at ceiling to floor rodent proofing when it comes to chewing.

Rehabbing is definitely the way to go if you want to hang out with them. All the joys of babies while being able to boot them out of the nest. A lot of rehabbers do still get lifelong bonds and can enjoy seeing the fruit of their labors when the adults stop by to say hi occasionally.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Krissim Klaw
Shanna66

Not sure where you are living but you might want to see if Southern flying squirrels are illegal in your area if you or your sister are ever bitten with the squirrel bug.

There is a reason there aren't many, if really any at all, reputable squirrel breeders outside of those dealing in Southern flying squirrels (or northern fliers though they are pretty rare in the trade). The babies of other species are adorable but the adults are very destructive, high energy, and anyone wanting to own one will quite literally need very thick skin. Once the hormones hit they often have no qualms about using their teeth if their mood is off. I've done a lot of research on exotics over the years and squirrels are one of the few that fall into, they not only go after you but will specifically target your face, category. Their nails, even when innocently crawling around on you, can also easily pierce flesh. Since they use them to climb you really don't want to smooth them out either like you can do with a cat. Speaking of climbing, because of it you are looking at ceiling to floor rodent proofing when it comes to chewing.

Rehabbing is definitely the way to go if you want to hang out with them. All the joys of babies while being able to boot them out of the nest. A lot of rehabbers do still get lifelong bonds and can enjoy seeing the fruit of their labors when the adults stop by to say hi occasionally.

Lol sounds like fun. My sister and I always seem to go for mean animals so it may be worth looking into. Ill probably stick with feral cats though

And I would love to get back into rehabbing someday. I miss it.
Shanna66

Lol sounds like fun. My sister and I always seem to go for mean animals so it may be worth looking into. Ill probably stick with feral cats though

I wouldn't classify them as mean animals. They just don't have the boon of generations and generations, upon generations of selective breeding like most rodents you find in the pet trade. I know you are not the sort to get into an animal without doing the research, but I wanted to bring up some of the realities for all those that stumble upon this thread and are lulled in by how cute baby squirrels look.

Personally I would find a feral cat way easier to take care of across the board, but I wouldn't want to force one into in home living for the same reason I wouldn't want to force any wild animal into it. There are so many cats who would love human company being put down daily, it seems more logical to me to rescue them versus cage and put an essentially wild animal through the constant stress of dealing with humans.

This is a similar mindset I see with a lot of the people who are in the hobby of working with squirrels. There is a much loved saying within the group, "Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Krissim Klaw
Shanna66

I wouldn't classify them as mean animals. They just don't have the boon of generations and generations, upon generations of selective breeding like most rodents you find in the pet trade. I know you are not the sort to get into an animal without doing the research, but I wanted to bring up some of the realities for all those that stumble upon this thread and are lulled in by how cute baby squirrels look.

Personally I would find a feral cat way easier to take care of across the board, but I wouldn't want to force one into in home living for the same reason I wouldn't want to force any wild animal into it. There are so many cats who would love human company being put down daily, it seems more logical to me to rescue them versus cage and put an essentially wild animal through the constant stress of dealing with humans.

This is a similar mindset I see with a lot of the people who are in the hobby of working with squirrels. There is a much loved saying within the group, "Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

ill probably never have a squirrel. too much work and im terrified of rodent bites lol. its fun to think about but thats about it.
Shanna66
SHD
Shanna66
SHD

That would be really cool if she could get to raise them. It would be awesome to see them grow up.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff