Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Girl

I have tropical freshwater fish keeping experience and have seen an axotl on display at one of the many reservation parks in Florida, but I never knew these could be kept as pets.

surprised

I've read that they'll eat live feeder fish, but how much bio waste does the axotl produce?
I ask because I've read that they'd need a minimum of 10 gallons, which doesn't seem accurate to me.

Lavish Wench

12,450 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Battle Hardened 150
Luckily the axolotl does very well in captivity, because the poor things are believed to be extinct in the wild.

My friend has three, but I personally don't know much about their care. I'm interested in see if anyone here owns any!

Aged Girl

Lilac Wood
Luckily the axolotl does very well in captivity, because the poor things are believed to be extinct in the wild.

My friend has three, but I personally don't know much about their care. I'm interested in see if anyone here owns any!

I thought that i've read something about them being endangered in the wild.
Perhaps it was on the sign next to the axotl display at the park.
This is why I never knew they could be kept as pets and I, in fact, thought that they could not be bought or sold as pets.

I saw a Youtube video of a man who bought an axotl along with a few snakes and a baby opossum from a pet expo and I was all... "Wait... A... MINUTE!".

Lavish Wench

12,450 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Battle Hardened 150
Nurse Kipsie
Lilac Wood

I thought that i've read something about them being endangered in the wild.
Perhaps it was on the sign next to the axotl display at the park.
This is why I never knew they could be kept as pets and I, in fact, thought that they could not be bought or sold as pets.

I saw a Youtube video of a man who bought an axotl along with a few snakes and a baby opossum from a pet expo and I was all... "Wait... A... MINUTE!".

They were classified as critically endangered for a while, but a recent survey found no specimens. They're thought to be extinct in the wild at this point, sadly.

My friend was working on his doctorate in biology and it was on the subject of limb growth and regeneration. His research was with jellyfish (I believe) but a lot of his supplementary reading concerned axolotl because they have some pretty epic powers of regeneration. That's how he became interested in them. The three he has are strictly pets, of course!

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Lilac Wood

They were classified as critically endangered for a while, but a recent survey found no specimens. They're thought to be extinct in the wild at this point, sadly.

My friend was working on his doctorate in biology and it was on the subject of limb growth and regeneration. His research was with jellyfish (I believe) but a lot of his supplementary reading concerned axolotl because they have some pretty epic powers of regeneration. That's how he became interested in them. The three he has are strictly pets, of course!

We actually had two when I was growing up that had been experiments used by a biologist in terms of regeneration. One of them had two hands on it's front leg!

Honestly, I was too young at that time to really know all of the care that went into them, but I know we kept our two in a 10 gallon tank for quite some time. I think I'd prefer keeping them in something larger though, especially if you plan to have more than one, because they didn't have much in the way of extra room.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff