• Unleash the Beast 100
  • Building the Army 50
  • Divorced 100
I had two. One ate the other one.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
sorry, i never noticed this. i dont have any right now but i used to keep them.

you will need more than one, they need a friend

its also important to remember that all hermit crabs are wild caught so unless you are ok with that sort of practice then adopt and dont shop. also because they are all wild caught they get stressed very easily and sometimes dont live that long

they are very fun pets though and do great in large enclosures, i suggest plastic storage bins to help keep your humidity high

they also need to have heated enclosures

you should also join some hermit crab forums to help you stay up to date with information on their care

Chatty Abductee

Shanna66
sorry, i never noticed this. i dont have any right now but i used to keep them.

you should also join some hermit crab forums to help you stay up to date with information on their care
Thanks so much! smile

Robotic Exhibitionist

I have two, but I've only had them a couple months. The most I can recommend is for you to do your research. They're not as simple as most people make them out to be. Like someone mentioned before, they're wild caught and get easily stressed. Something to keep in mind.

Here's one of my crabs, Ramsay.

User Image

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

i never had them but they are so cute

i never knew they required so much care

Feral Cat

hello, I have a colony of near 25 hermits, anywhere from micros to jumbo in size. Hermit crabs need a lot of care. petstores consider them disposable pets. they are not. the oldest hermit crab in captivity known has been there for 30 yrs. in the wild they can live to be 70 yrs though most do not make It that long due to stress, poor diet and care in capt. Hermits need to have a temp no lower then 70 degrees F . they come from tropical enviroments so 75f to 90f is a good range for them to live. they also have modified gills, which means they breath through the humidity in the air. 70% hum to 90% hum is strongly suggested. you will need temp gauges and humidity gauges in your tank to monitor these. (if you plan on having happy hermits) Hermit crabs molt, meaning they shed an exoskeleton, and form a new one. for this very important life change they need substrate that is 2-3 times there body size deep.(minimum) play sand, or coco fiber (eco earth) is suggested. moisten the coco fiber to retain humidity and make it easier for them to molt. same as the sand. sand castle consistency is what I use, mixed with the coco fiber. Hermit crabs are social, they have a social system and will become lonely if the only one in the tank.

Painted shells are not recommended either. some actually have toxic paint that will poisen the crab slowly. hermit crabs change shells as they grow, and sometimes for fun. make sure you have plenty of different size shells for them to move in and out of (I stock over 250 shells in my tanks) Hermit crabs need fresh water and salt water. so two different water dishes. hermit crabs are scanvengers by nature so they eat fruits, veggies, and meat. they do not like to eat the same food twice. I use fresh veggies and fruits and meats for my crabs, they wont eat pellets for me. I also provide a cuttle bone for a good mineral and calcium source.

Hermit crabs enjoy digging, climbing and exploring, so give them lots of room, cholla wood to climb and lots of substrate to dig in. I hope this helped alittle.

a great website to visit for info, care, pics, and ideas would be:

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/

it helped me a lot when I first started (over 3 yrs ago)

they are fun, I love mine, but they require a lot of care. and the first part of set up cost a bit. if you have any more questions please feel free to pm me , if not deff check out the website it will teach you everything you need to know about hermit crabs

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff