Welcome to Gaia! ::

Original Ladykiller

8,550 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

When I look into your eyes, everything's gonna be all right.

Clearly everyone in the world now thinks I'm a terrible person because I saved Kali from death via snake and now have to keep her in a 10 gallon aquarium with a reptile cage top because I wasn't expecting to get her. I don't need your criticism; I know she's not in good conditions and I'm going to fix it. The point of this thread was to talk about rats, not to tell me that I deserve to die because my rat doesn't have an eight thousand dollar cage and a million little friends.

I'm sorry that, to you guys, I'm such a terrible owner. But her happy bruxing hasn't stopped since I picked her up this morning. So clearly I'm not doing such a bad job after all, and I don't need your validation. I just need hers.

User Image

'Cause you're the reason why there's a rainbow in my sky.
My Gucci rat was a black berskshire too (what you have). She was one of my favorite rats. She would run around like a lunatic too, though I think most female rats act like that haha.
By the way, does she have a rat friend?

Original Ladykiller

8,550 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Kali's a little brat. But she's so friendly with everyone. Though she's actually got a dust allergy, which is funny because I do too.

xRiniel

Kali's a little brat. But she's so friendly with everyone. Though she's actually got a dust allergy, which is funny because I do too.

Does she live alone? What kind of set up do you have her in? She's really cute ! smile

Original Ladykiller

8,550 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
Van Rompuy

I have her in an aquarium with pine bedding. I was going cheap, but once the pine is gone I'll be switching to paper since pine isn't good for her. I don't have toys for her but I play with her for 3 to 5 hours a day.

Isn't she? She loves snuggling in my cleavage. x3

xRiniel
Van Rompuy

I have her in an aquarium with pine bedding. I was going cheap, but once the pine is gone I'll be switching to paper since pine isn't good for her. I don't have toys for her but I play with her for 3 to 5 hours a day.

Isn't she? She loves snuggling in my cleavage. x3

Does she have a friend? Another rat to play with.

Rats should not be kept in tanks.

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
Aquariums aren't really good for rats as long term housing, they have poor ventilation. You should get her a cage. smile

Also, get toys as well! Rats need mental enrichment just as much as humans. They need things to chew on and to play with for their mental health. Toys don't need to be expensive- cardboard egg cartons or toilet paper rolls are all great. But they do need -something-.

EDIT: Grr, ninja'd by Cardinal...again. I have my eye on you. ninja

Original Ladykiller

8,550 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
11 Cardinal 11

She was a rescue from a snake owner, and I had limited funding, hence the aquarium. But I have a reptile cage top so it's well ventilated.

It's just her, but she's happy enough with just my attention.

Original Ladykiller

8,550 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
Moth Feathers

She's got plenty of cardboard toilet paper rolls that she stashes in her house box, and plenty of blankets to burrow in and tissue boxes to flip onto herself. I was planning on putting together a little play area made from shoeboxes. She's a very spoiled rat.

I got six! ^_^
xRiniel
11 Cardinal 11

She was a rescue from a snake owner, and I had limited funding, hence the aquarium. But I have a reptile cage top so it's well ventilated.

It's just her, but she's happy enough with just my attention.

Rats are super social animals and I hate to break it to you but You are not a rat and thus no substitute for another rat . You can not devote 24 hours of attention to her like another rat could. You can not groom one another like another rat could. You do not communicate like another rat would. You can not share her food bowl with her like another rat, or run on a wheel with one another, or shred cardboard with one another. A human is simply no substitute for another rat, ever. Unless that rat is inherently aggressive, which is rare.

Keeping such a social animal alone, with only a couple hours of interaction, is cruel. What happens when you go to school, work, friends, vacation, the store?

Tipsy Bunny

Don't forget to check out the Rat Appreciation thread. Tons of cute ratties there :3

I have eight rats; 6 boys and 2 girls.

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
xRiniel
She's got plenty of cardboard toilet paper rolls that she stashes in her house box, and plenty of blankets to burrow in and tissue boxes to flip onto herself. I was planning on putting together a little play area made from shoeboxes. She's a very spoiled rat.

Then why did you say she had no toys? xp

I wonder if she would also appreciate a straw broom to rip to shreds or wicker basket. Newspaper would probably be fun for her to make a nest out of.

Original Ladykiller

8,550 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
11 Cardinal 11

I suppose you'd rather I'd have let her die? I'm not a rat, but I'm also not one to let live rats be fed to snakes.

Original Ladykiller

8,550 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
Moth Feathers

xD It was more in the traditional sense. I do need to give her a few things to tear apart, but I gotta wait for my next check to come in.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff