Welcome to Gaia! ::

On how to stop a puppy from trying to eat the crate pan thing?

Twister has moved on from toys to trying to eat his crate pan while in his crate. He just lays in the middle of the crate and gnaws of moves to the corner and gnaws there. So any ideas to stop this or deal with it? He does have chews available but he'd rather gnaw on the crate pan

Liberal Codger

I think you can spray that down with this bitter tasting stuff, and that'll get him to quit. I don't actually know what it's called... sweatdrop
Bitter Yuck! spray. There's other brands available, but it seems to have worked for us. Don't cheap out on anti-chew spray, because the cheap stuff doesn't work. Consider wearing gloves when applying it, cover your mouth, and wear gloves/scrub vigourously/apply lotion after handling anything you spray. That stuff is damn nasty in my opinion and the taste hangs on to stuff quite well.

You could also work on redirectional training.

Generous Donator

11,900 Points
  • Cash Grabber 500
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Where I live, it's called Bitter Apple.
Whatever you have, spray a rag with it. Basically soak the rag in Bitter Whatever. Open your dog's mouth, and put the rag in it. Close his mouth on it, and hold it in there for three seconds.
Even once should be enough to make him hate the smell, but dog trainers recommend 3 separate times
Anyone know if it expires? I think we may actually have some left over from Bo. It completely failed with Abby because she actually liked the stuff(go figure) and worked with Bo so. but yeah I'll have to check and see if we still have that bottle

Devoted Inquisitor

Ego sum Alucinatio
Whatever you have, spray a rag with it. Basically soak the rag in Bitter Whatever. Open your dog's mouth, and put the rag in it. Close his mouth on it, and hold it in there for three seconds.
Even once should be enough to make him hate the smell, but dog trainers recommend 3 separate times

Eish, why on earth would you do that? Does it recommend you do that on the bottle?

Devoted Inquisitor

I'm mean, and take the crate pan away. lol

I also take that as a sign that we need to work more on making the crate a superhappyfuntime place.

Muscular Counselor

11,200 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Millionaire 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
As already recommended...spray something bitter on it. There might be something available at your local pet shop.
Latrans
I'm mean, and take the crate pan away. lol

I also take that as a sign that we need to work more on making the crate a superhappyfuntime place.

We're actually working on crate games wink I just had to wait until we had his crate(got it this morning) cuz IMO it would be easier to just have one his size. He will happily go in and chill or take his toys in and up until he started teething he never did this. Now he's into chewing everything and started nomming the pan floor
Animelover955
Anyone know if it expires? I think we may actually have some left over from Bo. It completely failed with Abby because she actually liked the stuff(go figure) and worked with Bo so. but yeah I'll have to check and see if we still have that bottle

Mine doesn't have an expiry date on it so far as I can see.

Generous Donator

11,900 Points
  • Cash Grabber 500
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Latrans
Ego sum Alucinatio

Eish, why on earth would you do that? Does it recommend you do that on the bottle?

I don't know.
A lot of very skilled and well known dog trainers recommend it. It doesn't hurt them; it just scares them
I'm not able to do that, though. Something about it just makes me uncomfortable

Devoted Inquisitor

Ego sum Alucinatio
Latrans
Ego sum Alucinatio

I don't know.
A lot of very skilled and well known dog trainers recommend it. It doesn't hurt them; it just scares them

I wouldn't recommend doing that. It sounds like a really terrible way to teach your dog something.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Latrans
Ego sum Alucinatio
Latrans
Ego sum Alucinatio

I don't know.

I wouldn't recommend doing that. It sounds like a really terrible way to teach your dog something.

I wopuld only put it on rags if the dog was going after rags/socks.... but it sounds like a good way for the dog to not trust you.... "humanz put nasty s**t in your mouth... Ima goin' to not take anything from them"
Ego sum Alucinatio

I don't know.

That is NOT something someone should ever do. Negative actions like that will only cause other behavioral problems. You never want to 'scare' a dog out of doing something.
Mistress of Rain

I wopuld only put it on rags if the dog was going after rags/socks.... but it sounds like a good way for the dog to not trust you.... "humanz put nasty s**t in your mouth... Ima goin' to not take anything from them"

Sounds like a great way to get a dog to bite you to, forcing a fearful reaction like that. >->

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff