Welcome to Gaia! ::

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Latrans
Shanna66
Stowrm is very praise motivated, thats all that we use when we train with or without the clicker

I don't mean this in a rude way, but don't you use adversive tools as well? Or am I thinking of someone else?

My dad does, I cant remember if ive talkes about that here or not.

But I never use tools to punish stowrm. The worse ive tried to use was a penny can but she loved it lol. Just happiness and rainbows and sunshine for my dingo smile

Devoted Inquisitor

Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66
Stowrm is very praise motivated, thats all that we use when we train with or without the clicker

I don't mean this in a rude way, but don't you use adversive tools as well? Or am I thinking of someone else?

But I never use tools to punish stowrm. The worse ive tried to use was a penny can but she loved it lol. Just happiness and rainbows and sunshine for my dingo smile

Except front-clip harnesses. ;] Kidding.

I find it very, very hard to believe that any dog can be trained using JUST PRAISE as a motivator, and I find it impossible to believe that a pariah/dingo type dog could.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Latrans
Shanna66
Latrans
Shanna66

Except front-clip harnesses. ;] Kidding.

I find it very, very hard to believe that any dog can be trained using JUST PRAISE as a motivator, and I find it impossible to believe that a pariah/dingo type dog could.

Lol we have upgraded to a normal harness. I finally got around to getting one

She does really well! She isnt really food motivated at all. I pretty much have to force feed her treats

Devoted Inquisitor

Shanna66

She does really well! She isnt really food motivated at all. I pretty much have to force feed her treats

Awesome!

I can't wrap my brain around a dingo/pariah/feral type dog being motivated enough by praise to actually be able to learn new behaviors with it, because I haven't even seen purpose bred working dogs with that level of innate need to please.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Latrans
Shanna66

Awesome!

I can't wrap my brain around a dingo/pariah/feral type dog being motivated enough by praise to actually be able to learn new behaviors with it, because I haven't even seen purpose bred working dogs with that level of innate need to please.

from what i understand from talking to carolina dog breeders and other owners they are very dedicated to their family. im friends with a girl on facebook who also has one and she said hers is the same way. im sure some do prefer treats as every dog is different, but stowrm really just prefers hubby and i acting excited to food

Devoted Inquisitor

Shanna66

from what i understand from talking to carolina dog breeders and other owners they are very dedicated to their family. im friends with a girl on facebook who also has one and she said hers is the same way. im sure some do prefer treats as every dog is different, but stowrm really just prefers hubby and i acting excited to food

That's completely outside my sphere of experience. I'd have to see it to believe it--it sounds like a unicorn to me.

Devoted Inquisitor

Shanna; I think we may be talking about two very different things when we say 'training.' That might be where my incredulity comes in!

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Latrans
Shanna; I think we may be talking about two very different things when we say 'training.' That might be where my incredulity comes in!

Hopefully. What im meaning is praise as a reward for training a dog to do a trick

Anxious Seeker

I work at a kennel with dogs, have cats, dogs(friends) AND rats! :p As well as going to school for Animal Psychology, but I do my schooling online while reading dogs alllll day. x.x;So mannnyy dogssss.

One thing with training Ohka, my cat, is to not go right to her prey drive when interacting with the rats. And that is easy. smile I let my rats run loose, and simply watch her closely. My rats let me know if she is doing too much with a squeak, usually at that point if I hear a squeak, I use a spritz of water on her butt. She doesn't like it, it goes with the noise of distress the rats make, so in tune I've gotten her to respond to the squeaks and leave them, as well as a 'EH!' from me and she walks off as if they are the most boring thing this earth has. BUT, I never leave them unsupervised. Because she is young, we still have to work on her prey drive. But that is easy when we distract her with longboarding, walks, and car rides. xD My cat is my dog, so most times I wait till she's tired from activities.

Her treats are bubbles, so I don't give her much food reward unless its for her 'Speak' commands. We use play as a treat most of the time, like fetching. She loveees her some fetching. smile Anything that gets her to do things. But EVERY cat is different, so maybe mine is a little more motivated. And the rats like interacting with more things then just a dog, so its fun to see them boop her on the nose and they don't seem to mind if she tags along on their searching the house. smile But those tails are soooo enticing. xp

Anxious Seeker

Shanna66
Latrans

Hopefully. What im meaning is praise as a reward for training a dog to do a trick

The kennel I work for, they focus STRONGLY on the praise only training, no bad no scolding. It works for some dogs but even our HEAD trainer(sorry, she's good..Just...) thinks its not for every dog and HAS to have treats every training session. She will even try to use toys.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Holsteiner
Shanna66
Latrans

The kennel I work for, they focus STRONGLY on the praise only training, no bad no scolding. It works for some dogs but even our HEAD trainer(sorry, she's good..Just...) thinks its not for every dog and HAS to have treats every training session. She will even try to use toys.

When I was training animals at the sheltee I kept treats with me just in case but I always tried praise first

I would say no and correct a dog if they were being too rough. My boss couldnt tell the difference between a pit play jumping and a pit attacking and markes any pit that jumped up on us so I would be very stern and sometimes harsh when correcting the jumping because their lives depended on it

Devoted Inquisitor

Shanna66
Latrans

When I say "training" I mean teaching the dog a new behavior, often in response to a cue from the owner, done by the dog precisely, quickly, and with a high level of distraction nearly 100% of the time it is asked for.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff