Welcome to Gaia! ::

Loyal Genius

13,500 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
I'm wanting to put tropical freshwater fish in it, three different kinds. I already have all of the equipment needed because I've been keeping tropicals for a while, just not these specific species.

1 Male dwarf Gourami
2 Female Peacock Gudgeons
Possibly: 3 Scarlet Badis, 2 female 1 male.

I don't intend for the fish to mate successfully, I only have opposite genders in there to make the fish happy. The numbers can be adjusted as needed, but these are the three species I want; they eat the same frozen food, have close to the same temp needs, PH and whatnot as well.

My tank lacks live plants, but has silk and soft plastic ones strewn about. I'm still waiting for it to cycle, and decided to use this time to research. There are 3 hidey holes.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
well i dont really know much about those last two, haven't even heard of that last one, but i do know gouramis tend to be a little aggressive so be careful. that also seems like a bit much for just a ten gallon. but again, i odnt know what those last two are so maybe that they are small enough it wont be a problem. probably not helpful, but at least i gave you a bump ^.^

Dapper Fatcat

Scarlet Badis are an awesome fish, just a little more sensitive than your average fish. I definitely would start off with something a bit more durable like boraras sp. They can be housed with Scarlet Badis and look very nice together. The only downside, in my opinion, is that for the Badis you have to feed either frozen or live. No getting around that.

Also, I'd strongly recommend getting live plants. There are some incredibly easy ones and they make your water quality better, as well as make your fish happier.

Loyal Genius

13,500 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
Tinfoil Paradox
Scarlet Badis are an awesome fish, just a little more sensitive than your average fish. I definitely would start off with something a bit more durable like boraras sp. They can be housed with Scarlet Badis and look very nice together. The only downside, in my opinion, is that for the Badis you have to feed either frozen or live. No getting around that.

Also, I'd strongly recommend getting live plants. There are some incredibly easy ones and they make your water quality better, as well as make your fish happier.

Yeah, I've read up on the food ordeal and all of that. I don't mind feeding them frozen foods, it isn't a problem for me or my wallet. I'm after a certain color scheme in the tank, and the boraras don't seem to fit, otherwise I'd definitely take them into consideration. Thanks for that suggestion.

Dapper Fatcat

Evotis
Yeah, I've read up on the food ordeal and all of that. I don't mind feeding them frozen foods, it isn't a problem for me or my wallet. I'm after a certain color scheme in the tank, and the boraras don't seem to fit, otherwise I'd definitely take them into consideration. Thanks for that suggestion.

What kind of colour scheme? Maybe I can suggest another nano fish.

Loyal Genius

13,500 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
Tinfoil Paradox
Evotis

What kind of colour scheme? Maybe I can suggest another nano fish.

The green and orangeish color scheme both the Dwarf Gourami and Peacock gudgeon share.

Loyal Genius

13,500 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
lividdarkangel800
well i dont really know much about those last two, haven't even heard of that last one, but i do know gouramis tend to be a little aggressive so be careful. that also seems like a bit much for just a ten gallon. but again, i odnt know what those last two are so maybe that they are small enough it wont be a problem. probably not helpful, but at least i gave you a bump ^.^

Mmh.. Yeah. I thought about getting two females to go along with the male to spread any possible aggression, but those 3 fish basically stock the tank themselves. Luckily gudgeons are very small fish and females are especially so, they only grow to maybe 4cm, which is about 1.5in.

Scarlet badis are even smaller, 2cm or so, which is about an inch.

In total: 3in for the gudgeons, 2in or 3in for the badis (depending how many I got), 2in for the gourami. It's about 3-4 inches understocked, if my calculations are correct. Leaves room for growing, just in case.

Luckily gudgeons and badis are really peaceful fish, the only time they get aggressive is around breeding, I think. That's why I went with dual females on the gudgeons. They're just as colorful and aren't mean. The last two fish should also stay out of the general vicinity of the gourami.

Sorry if that seemed snarky. I did the math mainly for myself, honestly *-* I didn't have it all written out until just a second ago, but at least we both know now sweatdrop

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Evotis
lividdarkangel800

Mmh.. Yeah. I thought about getting two females to go along with the male to spread any possible aggression, but those 3 fish basically stock the tank themselves. Luckily gudgeons are very small fish and females are especially so, they only grow to maybe 4cm, which is about 1.5in.

In total: 3in for the gudgeons, 2in or 3in for the badis (depending how many I got), 2in for the gourami. It's about 3-4 inches understocked, if my calculations are correct. Leaves room for growing, just in case.

Luckily gudgeons and badis are really peaceful fish, the only time they get aggressive is around breeding, I think. That's why I went with dual females on the gudgeons. They're just as colorful and aren't mean. The last two fish should also stay out of the general vicinity of the gourami.

Sorry if that seemed snarky. I did the math mainly for myself, honestly *-* I didn't have it all written out until just a second ago, but at least we both know now sweatdrop

oh ok. and dont worry didnt sound snarky at all. thats going to be a very cute tnak. you should post pics when you get it all set up.

Loyal Genius

13,500 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
lividdarkangel800
Evotis
lividdarkangel800

oh ok. and dont worry didnt sound snarky at all. thats going to be a very cute tnak. you should post pics when you get it all set up.

It'll probably be a while. The tank hasn't even had it's first fog-up yet in the cycle. I'm using ghost shrimp to help start it off but I'm not sure they're doing such a good job. (I'll be removing them later on and putting them in their own tank.)

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Evotis
lividdarkangel800
Evotis
lividdarkangel800

It'll probably be a while. The tank hasn't even had it's first fog-up yet in the cycle. I'm using ghost shrimp to help start it off but I'm not sure they're doing such a good job. (I'll be removing them later on and putting them in their own tank.)

oh cute. id like to have some shrimp sometime.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff