Welcome to Gaia! ::

Princess Kunzite's Princess

Spoiled Pandahime

I'm rather nervous.
Not too far back my boyfriends brother went to get a hamster from a pet store and they were..well kinda mean about it
My boyfriend and I had the same setup as his brother, and the store we got ours from said it was perfect for the size hamster we had (and we did a ton of research as well)
When we went to get his brothers, they refused to sell us one. First claiming he was too young (until we explained we were getting it for him as a gift) and then that his set up was bad despite them using an even tinier cage with 2-3 hamsters in it.

I've never gotten a guinea pig from a pet store, only through an animal shelter. So I'm kind of afraid to ask questions. Are there any I should ask, any red flags that should make me leave and not buy from them or things I should look out for? I know a bit, but I'd rather hear from those who I can talk to instead of studying alone.

We want a young male or female (gender doesn't matter to us as long as it's healthy)
We wanted to buy from someone who had guinea pigs that had a litter, but haven't found any close and don't want to put a little one through a long drive. I just don't want to buy from a pet store that got their pigs from a bad breeder x-x
Sorry for all the questions, just want to be safe!

Old info above when I was seeking advice~

----

Well, I got my little piggy!!! We went to the store a breeder recommended (couldn't buy directly from the breeder, but they said they are a breeder for that store location) and watched the guinea pigs they had

Yesterday we asked a few questions after watching them. Their age, what they were fed by the store and such. The girl who I talked to had two guinea pigs herself so she was a huge help.

Today we watched them for about 20 minutes while waiting to ask about a cage. I noticed only a few running around and being playful. And when I put my hand near their tank one would run up and look. I fell in love right away, he was so cute.

After finally getting some help (they were busy when we got there) we pointed out the one we wanted and she let me hold him before deciding for sure. Such a sweetie, he was so calm and just curled right up and made his happy noises (yes, I know the different types ^^ so I know it wasn't his stress noises)

When we got home and his cage was being set up, he held him and he curled right up on my chest, again, making his happy noises. He's still a bit nervous of some of the random noises around the house, but he's fine with being picked up and held so far.

Decided to name him Pippin ^-^ I'll post pictures once he settles in more. I'm beyond happy and so thankful to everyone who gave me advice and when I first posted the thread

http://puu.sh/9OPKg/880605047b.jpg
http://puu.sh/9OPMs/452dc80f7b.jpg

Feral Regular

11,250 Points
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
Probably the best place you could look for a guinea, in your situation, would be a locally-owned pet store with healthy stock. Many places breed their own. Of course, a qualified breeder is always better when you're looking to buy and can help you avoid some of those awful health problems that might come on with age.

Whatever you do, don't buy from a big box store like Petco or Petsmart.

The best thing that you could do is ask questions. Make sure that the seller is knowledgeable. Inquire about the source of the animals. Make sure that the animals and their cage are relatively clean. The piggies should be alert, vocal, and even a little jumpy. Make sure their eyes are clear and their noses are not runny. Listen for repeated sneezing or whistling breath. Check the bottom of their feet for sores.

This site should be able to give you some good information as well: http://www.kornage.co.uk/guinea_pig_housing.htm

Good luck!

10,100 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Love Machine 150
www.guineapigcages.com

I used to foster for a local rescue and this website was a great resource for me!

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
if you can get a pair, they are very social animals, and having a buddy can really help them have the confidence to explore, and relax in the open.

do your research, join forums and ask questions. And I also agree that a local pet store would probably be the best bet if you have to go to one. Though some can be in it just for the money.

Spoiled Pandahime

irideae
Probably the best place you could look for a guinea, in your situation, would be a locally-owned pet store with healthy stock. Many places breed their own. Of course, a qualified breeder is always better when you're looking to buy and can help you avoid some of those awful health problems that might come on with age.

The best thing that you could do is ask questions. Make sure that the seller is knowledgeable. Inquire about the source of the animals. Make sure that the animals and their cage are relatively clean. The piggies should be alert, vocal, and even a little jumpy. Make sure their eyes are clear and their noses are not runny. Listen for repeated sneezing or whistling breath. Check the bottom of their feet for sores.

This site should be able to give you some good information as well: http://www.kornage.co.uk/guinea_pig_housing.htm

Good luck!

Sadly aside from two places, we only have Petco and Petsmart type stores. But one of them is their own chain (still goes under the name, but they're smaller and more of a family run type) and they only get theirs from licensed breeders.

I've looked into trying to go through a breeder myself, but they're so far away that we're worried about the stress it could cause on the piggy.

Thankfully I know what to listen for and look for, but I'm still kind of nervous about what to ask. I know to ask about who they got the piggy from (who their breeder is) and for the age, but not really sure what else. I just want to make sure our little piggy is healthy when we get him or her and not buy one from a bad breeder

I've looked into C&C cages and I think that's what we're going to end up getting once we have even more room to customize it

Spoiled Pandahime

Death To Clowns 05
www.guineapigcages.com

I used to foster for a local rescue and this website was a great resource for me!
I used this as well ^^
We're not doing a c&c cage just yet due to lack of room at the moment, but we have a nice big cage ready and an area for it to run around and play in where it's nice and safe

Spoiled Pandahime

Keyona
if you can get a pair, they are very social animals, and having a buddy can really help them have the confidence to explore, and relax in the open.

do your research, join forums and ask questions. And I also agree that a local pet store would probably be the best bet if you have to go to one. Though some can be in it just for the money.

We want to get a pair, but we don't have the room for two just yet and want to have a c&c cage before we get a second so they have as much room as possible

We had a friend that raises animals that were injured recommend a place, but I'm still nervous about what to ask. I know what to look for while watching the pig, to ask about where they got it from and the age, what it's diet currently is, but don't know if anything else should be asked or if I get certain answers that should make me leave.

Feral Regular

11,250 Points
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
Angels Alibi
irideae

Good luck!

Sadly aside from two places, we only have Petco and Petsmart type stores. But one of them is their own chain (still goes under the name, but they're smaller and more of a family run type) and they only get theirs from licensed breeders.

I've looked into trying to go through a breeder myself, but they're so far away that we're worried about the stress it could cause on the piggy.

Thankfully I know what to listen for and look for, but I'm still kind of nervous about what to ask. I know to ask about who they got the piggy from (who their breeder is) and for the age, but not really sure what else. I just want to make sure our little piggy is healthy when we get him or her and not buy one from a bad breeder

I've looked into C&C cages and I think that's what we're going to end up getting once we have even more room to customize it

Get direct-from-breeder, if possible. The big box stores also ship in their piggies, remember. Plus, it can save you a lot of heartbreak by avoiding health problems.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Angels Alibi
Keyona

We want to get a pair, but we don't have the room for two just yet and want to have a c&c cage before we get a second so they have as much room as possible

We had a friend that raises animals that were injured recommend a place, but I'm still nervous about what to ask. I know what to look for while watching the pig, to ask about where they got it from and the age, what it's diet currently is, but don't know if anything else should be asked or if I get certain answers that should make me leave.

if you end up going with a boar (male) ask if he has ever been with other pigs. some times males don't get along. And make sure you do your research and know how to properly introduce them. Most people aren't up to the task of introducing animals of the same species to each other, so that is why i normally suggest for social animals like a rat, gerbil, or pig to just get them at the same time, so you don't have to go through the pain of introductions, and getting stuck with two cages if personalities don't mesh.

Spoiled Pandahime

irideae
Angels Alibi
irideae

Good luck!

Get direct-from-breeder, if possible. The big box stores also ship in their piggies, remember. Plus, it can save you a lot of heartbreak by avoiding health problems.
There are no breeders near me :< we've looked
That's why we were trying to find a family who maybe had a litter by accident, but none are close (5 hours away was the closest)

Spoiled Pandahime

Keyona
Angels Alibi
Keyona

if you end up going with a boar (male) ask if he has ever been with other pigs. some times males don't get along. And make sure you do your research and know how to properly introduce them. Most people aren't up to the task of introducing animals of the same species to each other, so that is why i normally suggest for social animals like a rat, gerbil, or pig to just get them at the same time, so you don't have to go through the pain of introductions, and getting stuck with two cages if personalities don't mesh.
Thankfully I've done that before c: with several different animals as well. We're likely going with a female unless we find the perfect little male (right breeder, healthy, ect) but even then I'm not too worried about introductions. But that's why we want to wait on getting a second. Just in cage they don't get along, we want to have enough room for both in their own cages c:

Feral Regular

11,250 Points
  • Fusion Novice 50
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
Angels Alibi
irideae
Angels Alibi
irideae

Good luck!

There are no breeders near me :< we've looked
That's why we were trying to find a family who maybe had a litter by accident, but none are close (5 hours away was the closest)

:<

Sorry, I thought that you'd found a breeder that shipped!

Anyway, good luck finding your piggy(s). You must post pictures when you get them so we can admire their widdle faces!

Spoiled Pandahime

irideae

:<

Sorry, I thought that you'd found a breeder that shipped!

Anyway, good luck finding your piggy(s). You must post pictures when you get them so we can admire their widdle faces!

Sadly no. We found one breeder but they were REALLY far away and wanted us to go there. And as much as I want to, it would take a good 8 hours to drive there x-x

I'll be sure to post tons of pictures ; w; I'm so excited. I've always wanted one but the closest I've had to owning my own is when we got one at my old job (worked in a library and we took him in as a rescue)

10,100 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Love Machine 150
Angels Alibi
Death To Clowns 05
www.guineapigcages.com

I used this as well ^^
We're not doing a c&c cage just yet due to lack of room at the moment, but we have a nice big cage ready and an area for it to run around and play in where it's nice and safe

Aww that's awesome!
it sounds like you're gonna be an awesome piggy parent
:3

Spoiled Pandahime

Death To Clowns 05
Angels Alibi
Death To Clowns 05
www.guineapigcages.com

I used this as well ^^

Aww that's awesome!
it sounds like you're gonna be an awesome piggy parent
:3
I've been spending the past 3 days watching videos and reading up ; w; I'm so excited
That site was amazing help, I was worried about the pig chewing on the coroplast in c&c cages but it explained everything c:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff