Welcome to Gaia! ::

9,125 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
First one:
What do you use for flea/tick prevention? I'd never use Hartz or another of the other cheapy grocery store brands. I used to use Frontline, but then my dog ended up getting fleas anyway. I mentioned that to the vet and they said a lot of people have complained that it is no longer effective. I then tired K9 Advantix II and my dog ended up getting a really bad bumpy rash at the application site which she constantly tried to scratch and cried for days. The only other thing my vet offers is Vectra 3D. I used that last summer without a problem but then someone told me that I'm basically letting my dog be a guinea pig since the product is so new they don't know enough about it.

So what do you use?

Second question:
When I got my second dog friends of his previous owner (he passed away) said that he just loved his rawhide bones. He had one of those giant ones that I ended up taking home. I've never liked rawhide, but I figured since "he loves them so much" I would let him have his. I wanted him to be as stress free as possible. So yea he loves rawhide, but this big rawhide bone is almost gone and I'm not sure I want him to have a new one. I'm not sure how safe they are. I want him to have something to chew on (other than toys cause he won't chew on them) since he seems to enjoy it.

Do you give your dog any kind of "bone"?
What kind is best?

Devoted Inquisitor

I don't use flea stuff much but when I do I use frontline. The fleas in our area aren't resistant yet. Good luck!

I give Elsie raw bones.
My dogs get raw bones outside. In the house, I have a couple of antlers out all the time and Bella gets bully sticks a couple times a week generally (Zoe was swallowing them in fairly large chunks so we quit giving them to her).
Ike has had Revolution and I like it.
My cat has had it too.

Revolution gets rid of dog lice which Ike had when I brought him home.
Completely gone now and haven't had any issues with him coming in with fleas/ticks either.

My vet told me about Trifexis which isn't topical it's a tablet they take but it doesn't work on ticks so I didn't go for it since we have ticks around here.

No rawhide or bones for Ike yet. So I'm not sure.

Pesky Neko

19,615 Points
  • PvP 200
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Team Carl 200
I'm using Certifect (Frontline) + Sentinel pills. (Worm and flea control.) I had Jake on Revolution but he got ticks so I put a tick collar on him until I ran out of revolution and switched back to Certifect + Sentinel. Problem with Certifect is that he goes lethargic for a day but it wears off by the next day. Didn't try Advantix since it's toxic to cats and my cats sleep on him.

I give him compressed rawhide bones some times. The compressed rawhide is rawhide chopped into bits so if swallowed it would pass through his digestive system. I would like to try raw bones one day but for now it's too messy for me.
I use Zodiac flea and tick spray. It lasts for 2 months and you spray it on the dog, let it dry and then brush their fur. I've never had an issue with it and I've used it for years. I've never had flea's or ticks on my dogs.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

All of my dogs get raw bones for chewing on, with the marrow still in the bone of course. 3nodding They also have a ton of different sized antlers (I didn't buy mine, I got mine from my hunting trips as well as my family's hunting over the years, as well as natural sheds) and they do get Bully Sticks from time to time, depending on if they're on sale.

Celestial Dog

Flea prevention is tough.

Fleas are building a resistance to fipronil. The key flea-killing ingredient in products like Frontline. Unfortunately that limits the choices you have. While Advantix is good, it's extremely harsh and, unfortunately, your dog's reaction is pretty common.

I've never heard about Vectra. The idea of letting my pet be a guinea pig would never sit right with me personally.

Tick management is pretty simple and really doesn't require medication. Just check your dog every time she comes inside to make sure there aren't any sitting around or attached. Even if they're deer ticks, if you grab them early there's little chance they will harm the dog. This is better than using a medicine anyway since they tend to only work if the tick bites, and sometimes will remain attached even after the medicine does its job and kills it.

I had a flea problem a while ago and fortunately was able to use advantix without issue. Frontline wasn't working for us. We also use Zodiac flea spray on all couches/carpets/etc in the house and keep up on vacuuming, this is super important because if your pet DOES get fleas, they won't spread or infest your house.

You could try regular flea prevention baths.

As for bones, we use a variety of stuff. Antlers are great (they last FOREVER), but they're super pricey if you buy them in pet stores (I mean SUPER pricey. the one I work in sells some that reach upward of $30)

Nylabones are another good alternative, particularly the healthy edible versions if your dog is a very big chewer (learned this the hard way. one of ours ATE a whole nylabone when she was a puppy. tore it up. then threw it up a few hours later). Or some really tough chew toys. You want to offer some variety, some dogs will get bored with the same old thing over and over.
Flea and tick prevention: you can get it from your Vet or a local pet store. I'm a dog trainer at Petsmart and we sell lots of different kinds. Vets will usually recommend Advantix or Frontline. You can also use biospot which is more natural if you're into that.

Rawhide: Rawhide is fine for dogs. Bones are not! Bones splinter and can get caught in their throat, digestive tract, and anywhere else. I've heard wayyyyy too many horror stories from vets I've worked with to give my dogs real bones. Rawhide is just cow skin. It does take them a while to digest it though so I suggest only giving it to them every once in a while. Or you can go with the "Pork Chomps" brand that is pig skin rather than cow skin which is more digestible.

Deer antlers are also a good choice. They don't splinter, they're high in protein and they are highly digestible.

Or bully sticks. They're tendons so, again, high protein, chewy, easy to digest.
0Kokobeans0
Bones splinter and can get caught in their throat, digestive tract, and anywhere else. I've heard wayyyyy too many horror stories from vets I've worked with to give my dogs real bones.

Cooked bones are the problem/danger. Raw bones are generally softer and more pliant. They don't splinter from being chewed on (weight-bearing bones of larger animals are a risk, though, but moreso for teeth on account of them being harder; some cut bones (like T-bone steaks) can be rather sharp at the end as well.
Raw meaty bones are one of the best things you can give your dog to keep their teeth in tip-top shape.
~ Aki - Fairy ~
0Kokobeans0
Bones splinter and can get caught in their throat, digestive tract, and anywhere else. I've heard wayyyyy too many horror stories from vets I've worked with to give my dogs real bones.

Cooked bones are the problem/danger. Raw bones are generally softer and more pliant. They don't splinter from being chewed on (weight-bearing bones of larger animals are a risk, though, but moreso for teeth on account of them being harder; some cut bones (like T-bone steaks) can be rather sharp at the end as well.
Raw meaty bones are one of the best things you can give your dog to keep their teeth in tip-top shape.

Actually, dogs don't need bones at all. The best thing for them is kibble style food and believe it or not, your dog needs it's teeth brushed as much as you do. That's the best thing for their teeth.

Celestial Dog

0Kokobeans0
~ Aki - Fairy ~
0Kokobeans0

Actually, dogs don't need bones at all. The best thing for them is kibble style food and believe it or not, your dog needs it's teeth brushed as much as you do. That's the best thing for their teeth.
I wish more people would get their dogs' teeth brushed gonk

so many dogs with horrifying breath
so many dogs with terrible rotten teeth

I usually wind up brushing dogs' teeth on the house and letting the owner know afterwards in hopes they'll make it a habit. SO MUCH GROSS STUFF COMES OFF THEIR TEETH
Q2k
0Kokobeans0
~ Aki - Fairy ~
0Kokobeans0

I usually wind up brushing dogs' teeth on the house and letting the owner know afterwards in hopes they'll make it a habit. SO MUCH GROSS STUFF COMES OFF THEIR TEETH

Well people also need to get it in their heads that wet food is really bad for dogs teeth. It has no nutritional value that is different from kibble style food. But it gets stuck in their teeth and can rot them right out of their head. People just go 'oh but he likes it' and I'm like 'So what? My dogs also like eating poop and dead birds. Do I give it to them? No.'

People are dumb...lol

Celestial Dog

0Kokobeans0
Q2k
0Kokobeans0
~ Aki - Fairy ~
0Kokobeans0

Well people also need to get it in their heads that wet food is really bad for dogs teeth. It has no nutritional value that is different from kibble style food. But it gets stuck in their teeth and can rot them right out of their head. People just go 'oh but he likes it' and I'm like 'So what? My dogs also like eating poop and dead birds. Do I give it to them? No.'

People are dumb...lol
Ugh yes.
I view wet food as a thing that's okay as a rare occasion thing. But you don't want something soft and sticky all over their teeth all the time. Kibble scratches at their teeth and to a degree can help keep them clean.

I get a lot of people saying "oh well they like it better, they just won't eat dry food anymore!"

I fear what would happen if folks who react this way ever had children.
Their kids will live off of junk food because "oh well they like it more and refuse to eat healthy food!"
0Kokobeans0
~ Aki - Fairy ~
0Kokobeans0

You're completely right! God, I wish more people would feed hard unnatural food full of starches. I can't believe people would feed species appropriate diets to their pets! Blarg!

On a real note and not being a dickhole. Kibble is not the best and a generally new construct (last 100 years or less). Whole food/raw meat bones and organs are the absolute best diet for pets. I feed my girls whole chicken quarters pretty often for oral health and are looking into meat rabbits to breed and raise.

Celestial Dog

11 Cardinal 11
0Kokobeans0
~ Aki - Fairy ~
0Kokobeans0

You're completely right! God, I wish more people would feed hard unnatural food full of starches. I can't believe people would feed species appropriate diets to their pets! Blarg!

On a real note and not being a dickhole. Kibble is not the best and a generally new construct (last 100 years or less). Whole food/raw meat bones and organs are the absolute best diet for pets. I feed my girls whole chicken quarters pretty often for oral health and are looking into meat rabbits to breed and raise.
you have a good point, but not everyone has the time or money for fresh, raw meat for their dogs.

kibble is the best choice in terms of dry food vs canned wet food. it's not the best choice EVER, but it's the more ideal of the two most common options.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff