Welcome to Gaia! ::

L element's Significant Otter

Fuzzy Bear

Howdy!

Well, as the title goes, I have a 4 year old Chocolate Lab who is afraid of going down stairs. For some reason, it has gotten worse. Before, she would hesitate, back up, go forward, repeat 1-2 times, before going down. For some reason, recently (roughly twice in a matter of 1-2 weeks), she has been so scared to go down that the stairs, that she sits there, shaking, and giving me the sad face. I don't know what happened. I think maybe one or two tumbles have scared her for life, but I don't know. There are only 3 steps to the stairs that leads her outside.

This is what we have done:
- Positive reinforcement/ support (the whole good girl, you can do it, who is the best doggie, etc)
- Treats in hand and on the steps themselves (sadly, she is too focused on the stairs to pay attention to such)
- Using different leashes.(Usually we take her out with a harness type leash, but we also have shorter ones that click onto her neck)

We are not going to pick her up and lift her down the stairs since she is big, and if she is sitting, she is putting all her weight onto the spot so that she does not move.

Sadly, the wrong thing my parents have done has been getting frustrated and trying to drag her down the stairs while yelling at her. I know that is wrong. I try to calm them down when they do and try to comfort the dog (positive reinforcement,etc).

I am not sure if we should invest in a ramp or build one that is carpeted (dog also does not like tile floors, but that is easy to deal with. Also, the stairs are carpeted). Is it something that is worth it?

Also, she is fine going UP the stairs. No problems or hesitations

Devoted Inquisitor

Vet the dog.

Fuzzy Bear

Latrans
Vet the dog.
She is going to the vet tomorrow for a regular check up (shots, etc)

But, what for?
I'd run a full thyroid panel, thyroid issues are common and can result in pain. Also an x-ray of hips and spine, elbows wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Going down stairs could hurt.

Fuzzy Bear

11 Cardinal 11
I'd run a full thyroid panel, thyroid issues are common and can result in pain. Also an x-ray of hips and spine, elbows wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Going down stairs could hurt.

Well, I'll ask the vet about it tomorrow.

Devoted Inquisitor

Cassiel Socks
Latrans
Vet the dog.

But, what for?

If she has pain (probably musculoskeletal) it could cause reluctance to go up/down stairs.

Otherwise, become maybe consider clicker training and think about what's reinforcing to the dog.

Fuzzy Bear

Latrans
Cassiel Socks
Latrans
Vet the dog.

But, what for?

If she has pain (probably musculoskeletal) it could cause reluctance to go up/down stairs.

Otherwise, become maybe consider clicker training and think about what's reinforcing to the dog.

Maybe.

Well, I tried walking down the stairs with her slowly, and of course, she would do anything for a dog treat, but she is too busy focusing on the stairs to even look at the treat.

Devoted Inquisitor

Cassiel Socks
Latrans
Cassiel Socks
Latrans
Vet the dog.

But, what for?

Maybe.

Well, I tried walking down the stairs with her slowly, and of course, she would do anything for a dog treat, but she is too busy focusing on the stairs to even look at the treat.

Then she wouldn't do ANYTHING for a treat. ;] You're raising the criteria too quickly, assuming she's not in pain. Check out counter conditioning.

Fuzzy Bear

Latrans

Then she wouldn't do ANYTHING for a treat. ;] You're raising the criteria too quickly, assuming she's not in pain. Check out counter conditioning.
Will do, thanks c:

Devoted Inquisitor

How did the vet visit go?

Fuzzy Bear

Latrans

Went well. Eyes are good, nothing wrong with her hips, or back. Lost 0.4 lbs....Lol. Yea, not much but hey, better than gaining.

Devoted Inquisitor

Cassiel Socks
Latrans

Went well. Eyes are good, nothing wrong with her hips, or back. Lost 0.4 lbs....Lol. Yea, not much but hey, better than gaining.

That's good! What did they say about the stairs?

Fuzzy Bear

Latrans
Cassiel Socks
Latrans

That's good! What did they say about the stairs?

Try changing the lighting, and positive reinforcement, and it is probably due to slipping one too many times. But, she seems to be getting better. Doing a lot of cheering. Good dog, etc, then half a treat at the bottom of the stairs that she gets when she goes down.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff