Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Lunatic

17,800 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Married 100
  • Jack-pot 100
I am fostering a 4 week old kitten.
I work for Animal control right now, He would have been taken straight to the back to be killed.
Because he is too small for the kennel and still needs milk.

Animals die at the shelter every day but If I can save some, I want to try.

But now that I have him here, well
He came in Yesterday, and ever since I got him home I literally have to force the bottle in his mouth and he won't drink very long.

This is my first time taking care of a kitten that still needs milk yet I can't get him to drink enough.

I've tried the bottle, he doesn't get enough, I've tried putting his formula in a bowl, and he doesn't drink, I've tried putting it on a plate and he won't lick it up.

And looking at him, he doesn't look weak or sickly

He was tired in this picture though
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

My kitten also hasn't pooped or peed since I got it. And it is sunday and the vet at my work place isn't there, and ALL my freaken local vets are closed right now. I am stressing out and I don't know what to do.

Playful Player

10,825 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
E-clinic?

He definitely sounds like he needs vet treatment. :/

Feral Lunatic

17,800 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Married 100
  • Jack-pot 100
theEmocarebear
E-clinic?

well so far I can only find ones that close on sundays

I did get him to drink more this morning, is an E-clinic an emergency clinic?
I can try a search for that, I mean if he isn't going to a vet today he will be going for sure tomorrow, I am very worried.

Playful Player

10,825 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
MlZARY
theEmocarebear
E-clinic?

well so far I can only find ones that close on sundays

I did get him to drink more this morning, is an E-clinic an emergency clinic?
I can try a search for that, I mean if he isn't going to a vet today he will be going for sure tomorrow, I am very worried.

E-clinic does mean emergency clinic - it's vet slang in Michigan (I thought it was more common. I guess we make up words over here. xD).

When they're little like that, they're just super unstable. A night can mean a huge difference in quality of life. Any on call vets? Anywhere?

EDIT: Or a traveling vet? They're typically on call.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Keep looking for an e vet. They are usually open when normal vets are closed

If you cant find one then try to get in contact with the shelter you work with. They probably havr some sort of animal care person on sunday who can help you

Until then try rubbing its butt with a warm damp cloth. I had to do that for kittens at the shelter when I was working there. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt

Edit
Also wanted to add that you should try formula mixed with patte wet food and force feed him. Put a glob on your finger and shove it in his mouth.

Feral Lunatic

17,800 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Married 100
  • Jack-pot 100
Shanna66

If you cant find one then try to get in contact with the shelter you work with. They probably havr some sort of animal care person on sunday who can help you

Until then try rubbing its butt with a warm damp cloth. I had to do that for kittens at the shelter when I was working there. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt

Edit
Also wanted to add that you should try formula mixed with patte wet food and force feed him. Put a glob on your finger and shove it in his mouth.

rubbing with the warm damp cloth actually helped, thank you.
I'll see if my work place even takes calls on Sunday, Sunday is the worst day to have animal troubles Dx

And How much, exactly should I feed the kitten, the soft food mixed with the formula.
because I don't want to over feed him. o -o;
It's hard when he acts like he doesn't want anything to do with food, to tell when he no longer needs anymore food.

Feral Lunatic

17,800 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Married 100
  • Jack-pot 100
wow! o -o
He loves the soft food formula mixture, he is actually eating it without me having to force him

Celestial Dog

I have a friend who regularly fosters underaged kittens and they usually need to help the kittens poop because at that age I guess they often aren't super capable of doing it themselves.

It might help to seek out advice from people who have a lot of experience with this type of thing.
Also as soon as a vet is open I'd recommend bringing it in to have it checked out.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
MlZARY
Shanna66

Edit

I'll see if my work place even takes calls on Sunday, Sunday is the worst day to have animal troubles Dx

And How much, exactly should I feed the kitten, the soft food mixed with the formula.
It's hard when he acts like he doesn't want anything to do with food, to tell when he no longer needs anymore food.

At the shelter I worked at we were closed sunday and didnt answer phones but kennel staff and animal care would still show up to take care of the animals. Animal control could still come in

And im glad to hear the advice is working for you!

As for how much to feed, I would make sure he eats at least a couple teaspoons each day but if he wants more then let him have as much as he wants!
Stress can cause baby kittens not to eat. Are you using an actual bottle and n****e? Ditch it if he's not eating from it and instead use a tiny syringe so you can control the flow and it'll be easier for him to have access to the food.

If he's completely devoid of contents in his stomach or intestines upon arrival it can be a couple of days before pooping happens, the body uses all the nutrition from the milk you're giving and not turning it into waste right away. Stimulate to go potty, the best way I was shown by my vet is it get a soft makeup sponge (mine was wedge shaped, but it probabaly doesn't matter), warm it up and then start at the to pof the stomach and rub gently down in a straight line to and over the bum. Repeate until things happen. It gets things 'flowing' inside.

Feral Lunatic

17,800 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Married 100
  • Jack-pot 100
Shanna66
MlZARY
Shanna66

Edit

At the shelter I worked at we were closed sunday and didnt answer phones but kennel staff and animal care would still show up to take care of the animals. Animal control could still come in

As for how much to feed, I would make sure he eats at least a couple teaspoons each day but if he wants more then let him have as much as he wants!

Thanks for your help, I will get him to a vet as soon as possible just to be sure, I also have a worry about one of his front paw toes, that looks a little odd. He doesn't seem to be in pain by it, but It does look mishapen so I'm hoping it isn't an ingrown claw-nail.
But if it was an ingrown claw-nail I'd assume it would hurt when I touch it, and gently squeeze it, but the cat doesn't show signs of it hurting. So Idk, but I do want to get that checked.

Feral Lunatic

17,800 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Married 100
  • Jack-pot 100
11 Cardinal 11
Stress can cause baby kittens not to eat. Are you using an actual bottle and n****e? Ditch it if he's not eating from it and instead use a tiny syringe so you can control the flow and it'll be easier for him to have access to the food.

If he's completely devoid of contents in his stomach or intestines upon arrival it can be a couple of days before pooping happens, the body uses all the nutrition from the milk you're giving and not turning it into waste right away. Stimulate to go potty, the best way I was shown by my vet is it get a soft makeup sponge (mine was wedge shaped, but it probabaly doesn't matter), warm it up and then start at the to pof the stomach and rub gently down in a straight line to and over the bum. Repeate until things happen. It gets things 'flowing' inside.

;0
That is good advice, I'll see if that will help him poop.
He is doing a lot better today than he was yesterday for sure.
I worry too much, but I don't want anything to go wrong with the little guy. ^^;
Thank you for the advice.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
MlZARY
Shanna66
MlZARY
Shanna66

Edit

Thanks for your help, I will get him to a vet as soon as possible just to be sure, I also have a worry about one of his front paw toes, that looks a little odd. He doesn't seem to be in pain by it, but It does look mishapen so I'm hoping it isn't an ingrown claw-nail.
But if it was an ingrown claw-nail I'd assume it would hurt when I touch it, and gently squeeze it, but the cat doesn't show signs of it hurting. So Idk, but I do want to get that checked.

At his age I doubt its an ingrown nail. Could be a birth defect though. Kittens that young are usually pansies when it comes to pain

Anxious Seeker

Besides rubbing his bum with a warm cloth, sometimes formulas are TOO thick and should be watered down in this case. He might be gummed up, I've even syringe fed water just to aid in the constipation. Has he/she pooed or peed at the shelter before adoption? If not, it might be the formulas thickness. I have always syringe fed kittens, no matter the age. Just my method.
MlZARY
I am fostering a 4 week old kitten.
I work for Animal control right now, He would have been taken straight to the back to be killed.
Because he is too small for the kennel and still needs milk.

Animals die at the shelter every day but If I can save some, I want to try.

But now that I have him here, well
He came in Yesterday, and ever since I got him home I literally have to force the bottle in his mouth and he won't drink very long.

This is my first time taking care of a kitten that still needs milk yet I can't get him to drink enough.

I've tried the bottle, he doesn't get enough, I've tried putting his formula in a bowl, and he doesn't drink, I've tried putting it on a plate and he won't lick it up.

And looking at him, he doesn't look weak or sickly

He was tired in this picture though
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

My kitten also hasn't pooped or peed since I got it. And it is sunday and the vet at my work place isn't there, and ALL my freaken local vets are closed right now. I am stressing out and I don't know what to do.
You have to stimulate them to have them pee/poop still at that age, especially if they become impacted they need the extra help or they could become prolapsed.

You can rub with a warm cloth or toilet paper etc. and he probably won't want to eat until he's able to relieve himself.

Edit: Just wanted to add, at 4weeks they should be pooping a toothpaste like consistency at least once a day, and pretty soon they should begin trying to start peeing/pooping on their own, so offer them a litter box. (Preferably with newspaper pellets or similar - nothing that clumps or is too dusty.)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff